Citations in the Book

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: Citations in the Book

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Considering the genre of the book, I'd say this is something that should rightfully have been done. Added to the fact that some content was not the author's own work, it becomes more important. The readers would also need some background into the claims made by the author, and though there are some references included, they're not formatted how they should,
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I feel that this book was full of helpful suggestions and ideas to benefit all types of readers. They packed a ton of information into this small book. Maybe a few citations for some quoted phrases may have been extra helpful, but maybe they felt that the reader could also have gone online or to a library type source and typed in or looked up those worded references, on their own. I for one love research and love studying anything further and didn’t mind the omission of the citations to much. They would have been helpful, but I can just look them up myself and still enjoy this book as it was written.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

B00kN1nja wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 13:52 I really wish this book had included some source citations, even just simple footnotes for some of the information.
I agree. This was my only criticism of the book. He talks about ‘research’ and ‘studies’ but never references them directly. Especially with alternative medicine, I think it is important to substantiate the claims.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I agree with you on this one. When covering such sensitive issues, the author should definitely add his resources in the end- so that the reader may take some extra help from the particular method he likes. I strongly suggest the author to take a look at this and hopefully, get it updated in the future editions.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think this book is suggesting options. There isn't a correct way to deal with stress and anxiety and this book provides the reader with choices. It could have added citations as some people prefer that but as the author isn't trying to prove one options against the other it is fine as is as well.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I absolutely agree; in fact, this was the biggest complaint I had with this work. If a book references medical studies and reports, a footnote with the citation is a must. It does detract some from the credibility of the book.
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

I agree. I think having citations would have added more credibility. It also would have allowed people who are curious to further research the information being presented if they felt so inclined.
golubinka5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by golubinka5 »

I'm so used to write everything in APA format, it differs from creative writing. If I see something like this saying, "according to some study," I look up in the university library or academically appropriate online sources trying to find anything that will back up this partial information.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I can understand that. It is helpful when you can look up those studies to see what information is on them.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

Citations are important, but the writers being doctors gives more credibility as well. Besides, I don't see any harm from applying the advice presented in the book.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

Catie139 wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 06:29 I agree that a few citations would have been helpful and lend credibility to what the authors were referencing. It would have also been helpful to see a bibliography since it is obvious that all of the information did not come just from them and their professional work. The "Suggested Further Reading" does seem quite comprehensive, though.
I thinks so too.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I so much agree with you on this. For a book of this kind that centers on health and general well being of a person a few professional citations would have made most of the information in this book more authentic to the readers.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

A citation gives a deeper explanation to the source of an information although I'm not quite interested in citations. I just get the information needed from the book and apply it positively.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

Citation is a research stamp that increases the user's acceptance of the written content's legitimacy. It will give the book more credibility.
Jack Robbinson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-robbinson.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jack Robbinson »

I agree that a few citations would have been helpful and lend credibility to what the authors were referencing. It would have also been helpful to see a bibliography since it is obvious that all of the information did not come just from them and their professional work. The "Suggested Further Reading" does seem quite comprehensive, though.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”