How early does it start?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Re: How early does it start?

Post by Alice Festo »

I agree with you the core starts with childhood if parents can listen to their child's concern instead of dismissing them. I believe stress can be discovered and managed at an earlier stage. If the same remedies are applicable to children it's a good place to start.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

Most of the anxieties adults experience stem from their childhood. It is important that parents appreciate that children can also experience fears and should be taught how to handle them. Children should be taught coping mechanism early in life. It will save alot of therapy bills in future.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

Growing up I was taught to never show any emotion of any kind. As a result, starting at the young age of 5, I began to experience anxiety whenever I felt any emotion. For years, I looked toward music and art to express those trapped emotions and ease that anxiety. As an adult, I still struggle with the idea that it is perfectly normal to show emotion. It is extremely important to express to children that feelings of any kind, but especially ones such as anxiety and stress, are normal and need to be expressed. The children should then be shown productive and healthy ways in order to express that anxiety. I have not had the pleasure to read this book yet because I am a new member. I take from the review that the book takes one through natural ways and techniques to relieve anxiety. It sounds like a wonderful resource that I hope can help anyone who reads it.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Most of the practices mentioned in the book may also be applicable to children. Some tweaking may be needed to make them age-appropriate and suitable to their capacity to understand. Starting at an early age will help kids in developing habits leading to a balanced and healthy lifestyle, which is stress, and worry-free.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

Children do have stress and anxiety and although it may seem trivial to us, for them it is very real. I believe that parents have a great responsibility to teach children to talk about their fears and how to deal with it.
Mr_Dark
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr_Dark »

These practices can also help children dealing with anxiety and stress. However, I have rarely seen any children who is suffering from anxiety and stress.The remedies discussed in the book can be used by anyone.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Well, obviously how children relieve stress is different from how an adult relieves stress. Children can play out there worries which is not always in the case in adult. But still I think parent can also provide guidance as regards to this.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Yes, anxiety can creep in early. However, I don't think that anxiety that bothers adults is a build-up of the ones from childhood. Children tend to believe things religiously(including the tales we tell them to dispel their fears) and their subconscious will dismiss their fears for real. So, anxiety can creep in early but I don't think it can harm children
because people usually overcome their childhood fears except they didn't have anybody to help tell them the "tales"
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Peggy911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggy911.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Peggy911 »

These practices would go a long way in children because when we instill things into the children, they tend to grow with it and it sticks with them forever. The remedies here would be very helpful in children lives
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

There is a different approach when it comes to children. A lot of books are dedicated for adults about stress and anxiety because well educated adults are hoped to know how to let children know that being stressed and anxious over something is normal, and that they can do something to overcome it. What the author talks about could be references as to what we could do to help children. But I think, the approach will not be the same because children needs more explanation and guidance. They are not expected to know how to do it by themselves. This is a ‘self-help’ book, and I think children still need others to aid them in situations like this.
Pamela Bianca Mas
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

I think that one of the best things parents and children can take from this book may be a knowledge of the signs of anxiety and stress that come through in specific behaviors and feelings. I think that it is sometimes hard for people to discern what is causing unrest and anger. Sometimes, just having the patience to search for the feeling or situation that caused that emotion is a good place to start and change behaviors from there instead of letting unrest and anger be the automatic reaction into adulthood.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

beadeniseroa wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 14:05 Good question! I think it is important for parents to teach their children coping methods with regards to stress. Not having an outlet growing up, your fears tend to bottle up and can be very detrimental to overall mental health.
bush reads wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 10:35 You're absolutely correct about that. But, I think times our changing. Now, people are slowly ending up as more understanding individuals and know better than to just invalidate our problems and narrow us down to somebody who's just worrying or thinking too much. Not all, but quite a number of people. I guess, awareness is important. Children should be taught that it is okay to feel worried and should be taken seriously when they complain about their issues, instead of just telling them to keep things to themselves.
Alicer wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 23:00 I agree with you the core starts with childhood if parents can listen to their child's concern instead of dismissing them. I believe stress can be discovered and managed at an earlier stage. If the same remedies are applicable to children it's a good place to start.
Lilyflower-x2 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 00:30 Most of the anxieties adults experience stem from their childhood. It is important that parents appreciate that children can also experience fears and should be taught how to handle them. Children should be taught coping mechanism early in life. It will save alot of therapy bills in future.
We can but hope that, with all the resources (such as the book under discussion) currently available, more parents/guardians are learning to teach children how to express and deal with their fears and anxiety successfully. No child should be brushed off by any adult who cares for them as their fears not being meaningful. I completely agree, parents need to appreciate that children have fears that need to be addressed. Thanks to all of you for stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
DominikaS
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominikas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DominikaS »

It varies from culture to culture i think. Where im from, mental health isn't really believed in/regarded unless someone tries to kill themselves. Depression is the only really believed in mental health condition, and even then its not really taken seriously. Its more thought as a part of someones personality to be sad or to be anxious.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

Most of the things we indulge in today were learned from childhood. Likewise if you want to inculcate a behaviour into your child that he or she has to exhibit at adulthood, then you start from childhood.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 14:52
JGretz-7 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 18:44 Being a teacher, a lot of the social-emotional curriculums do assist children to recognize how their body is responding. When they are able to notice themselves escalating or panicking, then they can use some of the techniques like deep-breathing to help return them to a state of calm. We use these methods even with our kindergarteners. Validate what they are feeling, help them figure out why, and give them tools to do this on their own. It's very powerful! Given that we are in the midst of a pandemic right now, I think it's all very timely as well. As students begin to return to school, there will definitely be additional stressors.
Do you think that how parents deal with their issues can influence how the young ones deal with their stress and anxiety?
Absolutely! Children will model what they see and hear. It's their normal and what they have learned is acceptable or appropriate. If their parents model taking deep breaths and explain that they need to calm themselves down because they're feeling frustrated or angry, then the kids will learn to do that as well. It's a tool. People need to learn how to use any tool.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”