How early does it start?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Re: How early does it start?

Post by Nedbrian »

When a child shows signs of anxiety, we tend to think it will go away—she’s just nervous or shy, and she’ll grow out of it. But when the anxiety becomes so intense that it’s seriously interfering with a child’s life, and the life of her family, it’s important to get help. As such, the earlier a child shows signs of anxiety/panic attacks, the sooner such child is required to undergo therapy to assuage these anxiety episodes.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 15:16 joenduga12 wrote:
> To me children have ways to relief their anxieties supposedly different
> from the ways adults do. These greatly depends on the facts that their
> level of anxieties and worries are lower, as well as their basis for having
> them. By and large, what they need from their parent or guidance is an
> assurance and never a dismissal.

I disagree, children are not old enough to discern stress and anxiety. Parents have a role to guide and take their kids to a doctor when they realize they have a problem. If children will only receive assurance from their parents, they may end up growing without the moral mettle required to face the real world out there. Dismissal, or in a better word, correction, is granted for actions or behaviors that parents deem wrong.
Totally agree! I think it's really all about the parents being involved and having a true sense of responsibility towards their children. This will lead to occasional correction under the bigger umbrella of assurance.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Oh yes, that is way I am stressing every day now. I think there should be at least one psychologist that could trace how the child is feeling from the early age. Anxiety could be prevented that way.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

It is actually good to open up thing that seem to be a burden, being anxious helps to be careful. So i think reveling our fears is actually a good thing and should be thought to children early in life.
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

I think it's true that we are taught to internalise things. I feel like these remedies aren't just useful for adults alone. Children may also benefit from using some of these remedies.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Lilyflower-x2 wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 12:00 Nerea wrote:
> Good question. I think the practices can also help children because it's at
> a tender age that one starts to learn things that will help them make
> better decisions as they grow to become adults. Notice this proverb that
> says; "Train a boy/child in the way he should go; Even when he grows
> old he will not depart from it." So the practices can help the
> children as well. Anxiety or stress does not respect age.

I agree Nerea. Let children learn how to relieve stress while still young. The practices taught will become a way of life as they grow.
Indeed. I agree with you.
Whatever the differences between the reasons for anxiety in children and in adults, the fact remains the anxiety is real . If they aren't taught positive ways to handle anxiety and stress from a young age, they will resort to negative ways, or ignore the issues until the situation worsens.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Stephmagero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Stephmagero »

Anxiety disorders tend to start even from a young age. Therefore I think it's important to try and employ certain methods from this book that may be child friendly and safe inorder to provide help as early as possible.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Eriny Youssef wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 12:13
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 15:16 joenduga12 wrote:
> To me children have ways to relief their anxieties supposedly different
> from the ways adults do. These greatly depends on the facts that their
> level of anxieties and worries are lower, as well as their basis for having
> them. By and large, what they need from their parent or guidance is an
> assurance and never a dismissal.

I disagree, children are not old enough to discern stress and anxiety. Parents have a role to guide and take their kids to a doctor when they realize they have a problem. If children will only receive assurance from their parents, they may end up growing without the moral mettle required to face the real world out there. Dismissal, or in a better word, correction, is granted for actions or behaviors that parents deem wrong.
Totally agree! I think it's really all about the parents being involved and having a true sense of responsibility towards their children. This will lead to occasional correction under the bigger umbrella of assurance.
I'm afraid I have to disagree here. Yes, parents are responsible for molding their children into responsible adults, and sometimes that means correcting them. However...and this is a HUGE however, correction and dismissal are NOT the same thing or equals in any way. Correction, as you said, is used for actions or behaviors that are deemed 'wrong' or 'incorrect.' This is NOT the same thing as dismissing a child's fears and anxieties and failing to help them learn to cope with them (such as teaching them coping strategies like the ones in the book). Aiding the child in learning to cope with stresses, fears, and anxieties is also a parental responsibility, and failure to provide that is 'wrong and incorrect' on the side of the parent. While correction and reassurance are not mutually exclusive, attempting to do them simultaneously is walking the thin line between success or failure of/with the child. Rant over. Sorry, that one hit a nerve big time. I do appreciate both of you sharing your thoughts and realize that we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Samana95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samana95.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Samana95 »

Children can get develop anxiety but if not handled properly by the parents it can get out of control. It can even be caused by the parents, but children can not comprehend what is happening to them but they also have their way to deal with it.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Samana95 wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 16:32 Children can get develop anxiety but if not handled properly by the parents it can get out of control. It can even be caused by the parents, but children can not comprehend what is happening to them but they also have their way to deal with it.
I don't think it's that children cannot comprehend their experiences, simply that their understanding of them differs from the perspective an adult would have. Often, a child will feel more helpless to cope with situations, events, and traumas than an adult if he/she had to deal with exactly the same thing. Here's where helping the child comes in. Adults have the understanding and (hopefully) coping mechanisms they have learned over a lifetime to cope with stressful, anxiety-ridden situations. It the responsibility of the parent/guardian/counselor, etc., to teach the child the coping mechanisms and techniques (such as the ones in Kinyrys' book) they need to deal with their stresses and fears. If the anxiety is actually being caused BY the parents, someone else in the child's life, in a perfect world, would step in and take that responsibility. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
airielnolan2362
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by airielnolan2362 »

Yes, I agree with the fact that it could work for both children and adults. Some would say the stress as a kid is far less to those of an adult and to a certain point I agree. Sometimes children have more anxiety and stress than adults do because of what life handed to them. This book would definitely be of use to help adults and children with their anxiety and stress levels.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

airielnolan2362 wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 16:02 Yes, I agree with the fact that it could work for both children and adults. Some would say the stress as a kid is far less to those of an adult and to a certain point I agree. Sometimes children have more anxiety and stress than adults do because of what life handed to them. This book would definitely be of use to help adults and children with their anxiety and stress levels.
I agree. It is difficult, if not impossible, to quantify the difference between what stress a child feels to what an adult would feel in a similar situation. You are also correct, I think, in saying that some children have 'harder' lives than others and thus their anxieties and stresses would be more prominent. Of course, even children with "easy" lives will have stresses, just different ones. All of them could benefit from Kinrys's techniques once they have been tweaked to be more child friendly. Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I think you are right about children suppressing their anxiety. I think that at any time practices can be implemented to help alleviate stress, including in young children.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

acremer wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 12:44 I think you are right about children suppressing their anxiety. I think that at any time practices can be implemented to help alleviate stress, including in young children.
I very much believe that parents' dismissal or disapproval when the child seeks help from them for their fears and stresses can lead to the suppression of those anxieties that can have very negative effects later in life. To a large extent, having parents/guardians who are willing to teach the child techniques such as those in the book can be invaluable for his/her future. I appreciate you dropping by to share your thoughts with us!
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

It starts because of scenarios exactly like that. Whether it's a constant stream of dismissive attitudes or one instance of it, they largely play into how we react to situations like or related to that. I think it's as early as cognitive recognition begins.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”