CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our life?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Re: CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our lif

Post by Fliesie01 »

It makes sense to me. The way you react to external situations depends on how you are feeling, so if you can get yourself to think positive, your outlook on life will change, you will react differently in a situation that would have pushed you over the edge previously. Your whole outlook on life will be different and lighter.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Sirrah Tahir
Favorite Author: Lewis Kempfer
Favorite Book: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 179884

Post by Sirrah Tahir »

CBT is an amazing therapy for the treatment of mental health issues. It can help with a variety of mental health issues . As far as cognition concern some times it happens and some times not.Because sometimes subconscious is responsible for some involuntary reactions those problems can be handle by using CBT therapy.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Speaking from a personal point of view, when we alter our thought line, we tend to modify how we behave towards events or occurrences. Here is what I mean, I once had a bitter experience with a relative and I hated everything that related to that person. Subsequently, I began to develop hatred and uncalled anger towards loved ones and relatives to the point I thought evil things I could do to hurt them back. However, this affected my relationship with people around me to the point I became very resentful and difficult to please. A soon as I realized this error and corrected it, the venom left my being and my behavior changed entirely towards life and every other issue.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

What CBT really does is it teaches the one looking for therapy to know one's thoughts and the thought process, assess it and to stop when it starts becoming an unhelpful thought. It helps you realise your thoughts and to differentiate between what's helpful and what's causing all the troubles. Thoughts, emotions and behaviour are interrelated, meaning either of the three can cause the process of engaging in unhelpful thoughts. Therefore all our actions are the result of our thought process and the core believe system. This is what CBT targets. I believe actions should not be categorised as good or bad. All of our life events helps us in different ways. The only difference being how you assess your thoughts and how you change them for yourself.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

Ogbara wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 17:07
Christieee wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 07:57 Changing the direction of your thoughts can definitely cause a big change I personality and behavior. But behavior and personality are really broad spectrums, and so many other things come to play. Biological changes for example; for women, during their period they may notice certain behavioral changes that they sometimes have no control over. There is a also environmental factors and so on. I really believe that everything is interrelated. While everyone should strive to steer their thoughts in positive directions, sometimes it is beyond their control.
Yes, I agree, that while biological changes could be beyond our control, we should be aware of the fact that we can manage the way we react most times, by taking control of our thoughts. For a man, becomes what he thinks about.
True, but even the biological changes can be worked upon. CBT does help you work on that as well. When a new and helpful habit sets in, biological changes can also be the result of it (it is in most cases). For example exercising helps releasing endorphins in our body. In case of people suffering from depression, lack or endorphins makes it even worse and can sometimes be the root cause. So when the habit of physical activity sets, the biological working of releasing endorphins can be changed.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I agree with the comments about the book talking about meditation and exercise as positive coping mechanisms. I think that cognition while not necessarily is responsible for all bad actions we do in life, it has to play a part. But I also think we'll never truly understand cognition and it's place in life. For what we know, there is a lot we don't.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

mpsmaster wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 06:57 I personally think that this is key to any measure of growth in life. The author speaks about meditation, and one of the goals in to have better control over your behavior. The book talks about exercise, also as a way to feel better about your self, what influences bahavior. It seems everything touches it.
Absolutely!

Furthermore, working to change a particular behaviour and learning a new behaviour has a lot to do with thinking and reminding yourself to behave and react in a certain way differently from how you normally react or behave.
And the exercise and other practices do help to modify perceptions and extreme emotional reactions thereby assisting in changing the subsequent behaviours.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." This has always been one of my favourite quotes. External and internal factors - most of them way out of our control - are bound to have some role in how we act. Our thought processes, however, determine a lot of how we react to these things, and how we act thereafter.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

For me cognitive therapy is based on feelings being connected to thoughts. If I am anxious or depressed it is not because of what happened, but because of what I’m thinking about what happened. Those thoughts usually include distortions. If I can find and repair the distortions, I can find peace.
gina_rae73
Favorite Book: Wasting Time
Currently Reading: The Poe Consequence
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gina-rae73.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gina_rae73 »

Changing your thoughts creates alternative ways to cope with outside influences, albeit difficult to do in the heat of the moment. Mindfulness training can change behavior over time.
:ecrivain: Gina Rae :gaah:
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

I don't believe that cognition impacts one hundred percent of our voluntary behaviors; however, I believe that our perceptions have a tremendous impact on actions, and learning to modify perceptions (cognitions) allows for greater control of actions. This is true particularly of pathological and/or undesirable behaviors that affect an individual's quality of life. So in regards to managing stress and anxiety, I feel the authors were appropriate in suggesting cognitive behavioral therapy as a treatment.
Kathryn Collins
Favorite Author: Mark Leon Collins
Currently Reading: Inquirer's Bible
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-collins.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
fav_author_id: 196676

Post by Kathryn Collins »

Fatima Saif wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 01:17 Cognitive Behavioral Therapy says that cognition and behavior are inter-related and have an influence on each other. If we want to modify behavior, we have to change our thoughts in the first place. Tensions, anxieties, depression arouses from our thoughts and perception of events. If our thought perceives an event traumatic, brain triggers such hormones that we become sad and tearful. It is true to some extent.

But do you accept this negotiation of external and internal factors in the direction of our behavior? Our behavior is not only directed by cognition. Our personality traits, our bonding and attachment (emotional factor) with our relations, environmental factors, genetic factors, and traumatic events all make us behave differently than we normally do.

Do you think that only changing thoughts changes behavior and everything? Share your prestigious views from your observations, personal experiences and everyday life?
I think we need to recognize that something in our life is out of balance and search out the help that we need whenever possible. Otherwise, this is an intriguing question.
I sensed something was wrong in my life but I did not talk to people about it because I did not know who to trust. I also thought they would think I was complaining. We moved a lot and I never got to know people well so it made it difficult to know who to talk to.
After a family member sought out help, others began reaching out to me and I realized that the things that I sensed were indeed true, and that helped me on my journey to learning, growing and implementing change in my life for healing.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

One hundred percent. Cognition is responsible for each and every action in our lives, whether conscious or unconscious. Whatever humans have created in the past few thousand years was a thought at first. After the thought was established firmly enough into the mind, the action was done which in turn led to the result.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

In my opinion, other than altering the thoughts, your environmental factors need to be worked upon. I believe that one's experiences shape their beliefs, thoughts, feelings and behavior.
Amna Khalid
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think cognition can have an effect on the external factor listed. How you think about your external factors is going to vary. People think differently about everything. Two people may be poor financially, but have a rich family life. One person will consider themselves poor, be depressed and not see any good in life. The other will consider themselves rich, thrive in life and be happy. Even considering genetic factor, people will think differently about predisposed conditions they are handed. Some people thrive, some people don't. I do think the way you are conditioned to think in childhood plays a large part in the way you think as an adult, but again with a lot of work and information even that can be changed and controlled.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”