CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our life?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our lif

Post by Imstaci-1 »

I think one's thoughts are Paramount to behaviour. Thoughts are not the exhaustive list but it's a great starting point. For instance, always seeing the best in other people can help you remain stress-free.
Innocent Wisher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-wisher.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by Innocent Wisher »

Fatima Saif wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 01:17 Cognitive Behavioral Therapy says that cognition and behavior are inter-related and have an influence on each other. If we want to modify behavior, we have to change our thoughts in the first place. Tensions, anxieties, depression arouses from our thoughts and perception of events. If our thought perceives an event traumatic, brain triggers such hormones that we become sad and tearful. It is true to some extent.

But do you accept this negotiation of external and internal factors in the direction of our behavior? Our behavior is not only directed by cognition. Our personality traits, our bonding and attachment (emotional factor) with our relations, environmental factors, genetic factors, and traumatic events all make us behave differently than we normally do.

Do you think that only changing thoughts changes behavior and everything? Share your prestigious views from your observations, personal experiences and everyday life?
Cognition is not entirely responsible but it has a huge contribution as we know how to discriminate among good and bad for us. We have choice in lot of matters. If we develop conscience and self-control, bad acts can be avoided.
Innocent Wisher
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-wisher.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by Innocent Wisher »

mpsmaster wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 06:57 I personally think that this is key to any measure of growth in life. The author speaks about meditation, and one of the goals in to have better control over your behavior. The book talks about exercise, also as a way to feel better about your self, what influences bahavior. It seems everything touches it.
I agree to your thoughts that exercise helps in reducing stress and changing vision about one self and boosts positive self-image.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I believe cognition affects, in a big way, our behaviour. I read somewhere that we are affected by 50% our genetic makeup, 40% intentional actions and 10% our environment or circumstances. But I've seen people beat depression, unproductivity and other negative traits linked to genes, environment or personality by changing the way they think and adopting positive thinking. So yes, it is possible to impact our behaviour through cognition.
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by redknitcapgirl »

Fatima Saif wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 01:17 Cognitive Behavioral Therapy says that cognition and behavior are inter-related and have an influence on each other. If we want to modify behavior, we have to change our thoughts in the first place. Tensions, anxieties, depression arouses from our thoughts and perception of events. If our thought perceives an event traumatic, brain triggers such hormones that we become sad and tearful. It is true to some extent.

But do you accept this negotiation of external and internal factors in the direction of our behavior? Our behavior is not only directed by cognition. Our personality traits, our bonding and attachment (emotional factor) with our relations, environmental factors, genetic factors, and traumatic events all make us behave differently than we normally do.

Do you think that only changing thoughts changes behavior and everything? Share your prestigious views from your observations, personal experiences and everyday life?
I'd often heard that if you think only positive thoughts, your actions and how you perceive everything will start to change for the better. And for me, that's a little bit toxic. It feels like you would be suppressing the negative that would build up and explode as time passes. There has to be a balance somewhere.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

These two are interrelated. Our thoughts, emotions and attitudes are tied to our behavior. Changing our behaviour therefore alters our personality. Although there are physical and biological activities that can also cause changes.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

I agree on this one, but that is not mostly the case. Even if you felt a strong positivity about the outcome of something, you might still receive a bad outcome and the anxieties and depression will still come, and it might be way worse for some because it was not expected. But if you perceived something in a wrong way and it turns out bad, it may not affect you so much.
Claude Hang
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claude-hang.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Claude Hang »

I'm a huge believer in the MBTI personality framework. MBTI says our personalities and associated thought patterns are fixed by the time we are about 6 years old usually due to genetics and our environment.
Positive thinking can work to an extent but I'm not sure if it can really alter personality.
Claude Hang
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claude-hang.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Claude Hang »

I do believe that reframing our thought reactions to a negative emotional trigger can work greatly. But it requires serious discipline. Getting oneself away from the environment which causes this negative emotional trigger, in the first place, is half the battle.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

Naturally there are a lot of factors that determine how we behave, but cognition is definitely one of them. I think most importantly, it's a factor that we can influence. While we don't always consciously think about our action, it helps to think back about our actions in terms of what happened, what we thought, felt and then how we acted, and see how we could have interpreted the situation differently, and how this would've affected our feelings, actions and the outcome.
Still, it's exposure that's the most important component of CBT to treat anxiety. And I think to experience the thing you're afraid of without a negative consequence also changes your cognition about the things you feel anxious about.
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

I think this must be about "its how you react to the situation is what matters and not the situation itself". I can decide to get worried over a situation or just seek solution to it. So I can say how to think towards a situation defines how you are going to behave towards it.
:D I believe in love
MayaRegina
Currently Reading: Subversive Lives
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaregina.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MayaRegina »

I might be opening myself up here a little. It is still a struggle to determine, acknowledge, plan and act to change on a single learned mindset. You really have to do it, step by step, consciously. Sometimes I unravel when an unexpected emotion or memory comes back flooding and it will take me two steps backward. It is a daily battle. Something you have to fight head on actively, not passively.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

I believe that changing our thoughts to a large extent affects our behavior. Meditation help us to control our thoughts and consequently our behaviors. Most snap reactions are sometimes though over for a long time before it happened. By changing our thoughts we can influence our behavior in 9 out of 10 cases.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

It seems to me that you are asking the age-old "nature or nurture" question. Medical knowledge has advanced enough that we know genetics play a part in determining a person's abilities and even personality. However, the environment a child is born into also dramtically--even phsyically--shapes their brain. For example, childhood trauma literally rewires brain neuron connection and enables the stress areas of the brain to be enlarged. Obviously this has a negative impact on other area of brian development for that child. This is a long way to say that I think there is truth to both sides of the argument People can put in a lot of work to help themselves understand their thought patterns and reshape mental habits, especially through useful practices like CBT. However, there are times when I don't think this would be sufficient.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Christieee wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 07:57 Changing the direction of your thoughts can definitely cause a big change I personality and behavior. But behavior and personality are really broad spectrums, and so many other things come to play. Biological changes for example; for women, during their period they may notice certain behavioral changes that they sometimes have no control over. There is a also environmental factors and so on. I really believe that everything is interrelated. While everyone should strive to steer their thoughts in positive directions, sometimes it is beyond their control.
Yes, I agree, that while biological changes could be beyond our control, we should be aware of the fact that we can manage the way we react most times, by taking control of our thoughts. For a man, becomes what he thinks about.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”