CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our life?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our lif

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

R Lefler wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 16:24 One problem I've had with trying CBT in the past is that I don't always feel in full control over my thoughts. Some things are instinctive reactions to stimuli. Like how you can't help but think about food when you feel hungry because your body is signaling you that you should be hungry. I have PTSD, and I think traumatized people may find the CBT approach unhelpful, because when we are triggered by a negative stimulus, we can't just think better thoughts in order to not be triggered. Being triggered is a reflex beyond our control. However, I do think it's good to try and monitor your attitudes and beliefs about your situation. Ask yourself things like, am I making a small problem larger when it's actually easier to fix than I think? Should I act now, while my heart is thumping, or maybe I should stop and wait until I'm calmer before I send that email? Also, if you have a pessimistic attitude, you can't benefit from therapy. You have to believe in your own ability to get better. That may even be the hardest part of therapy, because mental illness can be a blow to your sense of self worth. So, changing cognition and monitoring thoughts can be useful sometimes, but I do not think all bad things we feel come from bad thoughts, nor do I think we always have control over our thoughts, emotions, actions, etc. So much that we do is reflexive, instinctive, or due to deeply ingrained learning. What helped me was EMDR, which uses your eye motions to retrain your brain and "unlearn" negative thoughts and beliefs that have come to be deeply ingrained. It's aimed at people who were traumatized, but I think people without PTSD, with depression, anxiety, and maybe other mental disorders, would also benefit from it. It is important to challenge negative beliefs you have about yourself and your abilities.
The main issue I see with CBT is that it focuses on the individual's capacity to change. They must be willing to change for CBT to work. Without the individual reconstructing their thoughts on issues, then even the remedies in this book might not work for them.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:50 As others have said, it's impossible to make a completely internal choice. There are factors outside of our control that we have to contend with daily. Coming to terms with this fact is important and an internal choice, but it is natural to feel emotions regarding conflicts. I think it's important to cultivate the mindset for yourself that you can change your behavior by changing your perception, but shouldn't force this view on others with different experiences.
Apart from perception, learning difficulties can affect how an individual chooses to eliminate their stress and anxiety. For instance, those who are unable to read may have a comparatively low resource on how to deal with these issues.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 08:01
anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:50 As others have said, it's impossible to make a completely internal choice. There are factors outside of our control that we have to contend with daily. Coming to terms with this fact is important and an internal choice, but it is natural to feel emotions regarding conflicts. I think it's important to cultivate the mindset for yourself that you can change your behavior by changing your perception, but shouldn't force this view on others with different experiences.
Apart from perception, learning difficulties can affect how an individual chooses to eliminate their stress and anxiety. For instance, those who are unable to read may have a comparatively low resource on how to deal with these issues.
I do not think that essentially is the case. Even if you are not able to read, then also there are a lot of vocal resources that you can use to deal with your problem effectively. For example, talking to people specialized in this issue can also be agreat help.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 08:00
R Lefler wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 16:24 One problem I've had with trying CBT in the past is that I don't always feel in full control over my thoughts. Some things are instinctive reactions to stimuli. Like how you can't help but think about food when you feel hungry because your body is signaling you that you should be hungry. I have PTSD, and I think traumatized people may find the CBT approach unhelpful, because when we are triggered by a negative stimulus, we can't just think better thoughts in order to not be triggered. Being triggered is a reflex beyond our control. However, I do think it's good to try and monitor your attitudes and beliefs about your situation. Ask yourself things like, am I making a small problem larger when it's actually easier to fix than I think? Should I act now, while my heart is thumping, or maybe I should stop and wait until I'm calmer before I send that email? Also, if you have a pessimistic attitude, you can't benefit from therapy. You have to believe in your own ability to get better. That may even be the hardest part of therapy, because mental illness can be a blow to your sense of self worth. So, changing cognition and monitoring thoughts can be useful sometimes, but I do not think all bad things we feel come from bad thoughts, nor do I think we always have control over our thoughts, emotions, actions, etc. So much that we do is reflexive, instinctive, or due to deeply ingrained learning. What helped me was EMDR, which uses your eye motions to retrain your brain and "unlearn" negative thoughts and beliefs that have come to be deeply ingrained. It's aimed at people who were traumatized, but I think people without PTSD, with depression, anxiety, and maybe other mental disorders, would also benefit from it. It is important to challenge negative beliefs you have about yourself and your abilities.
The main issue I see with CBT is that it focuses on the individual's capacity to change. They must be willing to change for CBT to work. Without the individual reconstructing their thoughts on issues, then even the remedies in this book might not work for them.
And that is true for not only stress but for any kind of positive change that you want in your life. Without effort any change is impossible. You need to be aware of the positive change in your life and it should be motivating enough for you that you are able to address your own problems and solve them.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:58
Melissa Breen wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 09:14 I think they definitely have an influence on each other and shape each other. Cognition isn't the only thing that shapes behaviour but I do think it plays a big role and that new brain pathways can be built through cognitive change
That's why CBT is a collaborative effort. You identify issues on a personal level, then invest in yourself to make the changes which are necessary. It is this process which becomes helpful when reacting to different situations.
Yes, that is true to a certain extent. I feel that the more you aim to make it work the more it will succeed. CBT is something that is a deep impact on your own personality and helps you develop. It is something that can be more helpful in the presence of a professional who can guide you through your thoughts and help you give an unbiased opinion to filter them.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Wamakima wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 14:45 There's no one single thing that influences behavior, exactly why there's a nature or nurture argument. To quote you I don't think "changing thoughts changes behavior and everything". As you said environment and traumatic factors may influence how we act. Environment includes people, living area, working area etc. If thoughts are changed but the environment is still toxic, I believe this will hinder behavior change.
Yes, that is true the situation in which we are makes a major impact on our behavior. So if the situations change do you think the earlier situation will still play a major role in our behavior or the effect of the situation is limited to the time we were in the situation and going away from it will lessen its influence on our behavior?
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Maconstewart wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 06:08 I think that CBT is effective to some extent. Our perceptions, and trained mindsets, do play a major role in our actions. For example, we know that a child continually told they are worthless will eventually believe it and act accordingly. Even our (US) court systems use CBT as a means for what is considered treatment for certain criminals, such as child molesters. I personally do not think that is adequate in such cases, but it is used. I believe that other factors such as personality, hormones, external stimuli and stresses, and even general disposition play a role in our behaviors.
Is not personality a result of our cognitive thoughts? If that is true will change in thoughts also affect the personality? Also how much do you 'external stimulation' or our current 'situation' has a role to play in our behavior? I think it is a greater factor than all others combined.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 02:34 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> Juliet+1 wrote:
> > I've read a few books about CBT, and I was really impressed by this
> > approach. It resembles meditation, which I have practiced for many years,
> > in that you use the technique to take charge of your own mind. You don't
> > let your brain just wander about having "thoughts" and
> > "feelings" at random.
>
> I agree with you, changing our minds is a positive move towards preventing stress,
> and anxiety. Meditation is a simpler way of decluttering the mind.

Yeah, and not only meditation, Yoga, listening to music or even a cold shower can help you ease your mind and get control of your thoughts. It is truly remarkable how taking a break from life can help us get back into it.
As short as CBT sessions are, they are effective. And unlike medication, which can be an ongoing treatment service, CBT allows you to experience results right away.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 02:35 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> Chali wrote:
> > Yes I totally agree. Cognition is the beginning of everything. Our
> > behaviour is a manifestation of our thoughts. So yes changing our thought
> > patterns could greatly influence our behaviour.
>
> The fact that we can change our behaviors by changing our thoughts is a message that
> has been sent to the reader vividly.

Yes because at the end of the day, it is those actions that shape our behavior and that is why stress management, as mentioned in this book is quite effective.
When CBT is followed, the negative thought patterns are reconstructed, which can help to relieve moderate cases of stress and anxiety.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 02:37 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> Vine001 wrote:
> > Our mindset is what matters. We can chose to let external factors affect
> > our emotions. I sincerely believe that we rule over our emotions. That is
> > why when someone annoys you, you can choose to walk away.
>
> I've also found self-control to be a good gesture. If anger and stress don't control
> your emotions, you can easily turn away negative thoughts of depression.

Yes, but controlling anger and stress are the main things this book is about. Controlling these will help of course, but we need remedies and even medications if things do not work out using mind games or other natural remedies mentioned in this book.
This identification of coping skill mechanisms makes it possible for you to deal with chronic self-negativity, high-stress environments, or challenging situations because you understand the bigger picture through CBT. 
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 02:39 gatuguta2030 wrote:
> Our thoughts play a great role in influencing our behavior. However, there
> are other external factors that may determine bad behavior. I disagree that
> cognition influences all bad behaviors.

Yes, cognition has an effect on behavior but it is wrong to say that it is solely responsible for all-out bad behaviors. Bad behavior may result from many factors present in the moment rather than just thoughts.
CBT creates opportunities to take on different formats of expression based on where the errors occur in a person’s life.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

Howlan wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 14:01
Wamakima wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 14:45 There's no one single thing that influences behavior, exactly why there's a nature or nurture argument. To quote you I don't think "changing thoughts changes behavior and everything". As you said environment and traumatic factors may influence how we act. Environment includes people, living area, working area etc. If thoughts are changed but the environment is still toxic, I believe this will hinder behavior change.
Yes, that is true the situation in which we are makes a major impact on our behavior. So if the situations change do you think the earlier situation will still play a major role in our behavior or the effect of the situation is limited to the time we were in the situation and going away from it will lessen its influence on our behavior?
I think past situations do still have influence, a cumulative effect on behavior. If those accumulated situations are negative and are seriously having a negative effect on actions/behavior, then a significant effort would need to be made by the individual to overcome those outcomes.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"As a man thinketh, so is he". I gree that our thoughts influence our actions.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
m+c4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-c4.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by m+c4 »

Different schools of thought believe in different theories to explain the causes behind Behaviour. Some believe that most Behaviour is an adaptive response to Evolution, in that it is biological. Others focus on Nurture-the environment that you grew up in, as well as the one that is surrounding you now. Then some theorists believe that Behaviour is a product of the innate need to self-actualize. Some models understand Behaviour as a result of conditioning, and yet others that perceive it as a response to thought and emotion.
Personally, anxiety was a symptom rather than the diagnosis. So I underwent Integrated Psychotherapy. The treatment borrows elements from different schools of psychopathy.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

According to me our thoughts frame our behaviour.
When we are continuously worrying about something and feeling anxious we naturally can't behave calm.
This inturn can effect our physical well-being too.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”