CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our life?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: CBT says cognition affect behavior? Do you agree that cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our lif

Post by Michael40 »

According to personality experts, our personality do change a great deal over time. And when you talk about stuff like this, the cognitive aspect comes rather first. It is the covert behavior as cognitive psychologists now argue that it can be studied in that regard. And I think it is true. Having said that I think our thoughts can do more than what we can imagine to change our behaviors. I believe that many factors are involved, but cognitive factor will be predominant.
If you ask me, thoughts are really powerful. They dictate all most everything. If you ask me, it is more about thoughts. They represent covert behavior, life, etc.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I think there are many factors that affects behavior. It’s not only limited to cognition. Our natural impulses, for example, doesn’t simply change by conscious altering of our mindset.
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

Firstly, lets recore that; the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses is called COGNITION.

Secondly, to answer your question " do you agree cognition is responsible for all bad actions we did in our life"? Well, my answer is YES

Although other factors like the environment and stuations normally mimic our actions, Thoughts play a bigger role because they are the origin. You think (thoughts) then you Act! Thats how the process works.

So, if we can change the thoughts then we can definitely change the behavior. In line with anxiety, once the person realize all the worries and fears are as a result of the negative thoughts, its possible they will fight against them with the help of CBT which can result into a good prognosis.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :reading-6:
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Michael40 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 16:34 According to personality experts, our personality do change a great deal over time. And when you talk about stuff like this, the cognitive aspect comes rather first. It is the covert behavior as cognitive psychologists now argue that it can be studied in that regard. And I think it is true. Having said that I think our thoughts can do more than what we can imagine to change our behaviors. I believe that many factors are involved, but cognitive factor will be predominant.
If you ask me, thoughts are really powerful. They dictate all most everything. If you ask me, it is more about thoughts. They represent covert behavior, life, etc.
Yeah, I agree that cognition plays an important part in shaping our personality but also the situation we are in will also affect you a great way in shaping your personality and affecting your actions in general. For in many cases we will have thoughts based on our situation and it is certainly a great driving force behind our behaviour.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 19:47 I think there are many factors that affects behavior. It’s not only limited to cognition. Our natural impulses, for example, doesn’t simply change by conscious altering of our mindset.
Natural impulses are something we develop out of habit. It is true that changing our thought process cannot alter our impulses but to a certain point can help contain them. Like if you have a bad habit, and someone points it out to you, you will try to change it which can affect your behaviour.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 01:45
rahilshajahan wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 09:16
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 06:53 Wy_Bertram wrote:
> A different mindset does go a long way, but there are too many external
> factors for any completely internalised solution.

Although there may be numerous external factors surrounding us, mindset, and personal interests play a bigger role in stress and anxiety.
If we are to make decisions when under stress, the teachings of CBT can actually hold true to a certain percentage. The actions needn't all be bad though.
Because CBT is focussed on changing the harmful and bad cognitive behavior, it's relatively has a higher possibility of preventing an individual from doing wrong.
Yes, CBT essentially helps you get a hold of your negative thoughts and think positively about them. Like when in traffic, you may choose to honk repeatedly(negative) or choose to do constructive work in that time(positive). It helps to keep your negative thoughts in check and can help an individual as long as they choose to remain positive.
himawari333
Currently Reading: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Bookshelf Size: 1291

Post by himawari333 »

I think saying that a change in thoughts may be putting it lightly. Thoughts, themselves, fluctuate so easily so I understand that it seems a bit unlikely for a change in thought to completely change one's behavior. Changing one's behavior for the better isn't dependent on a single thing that can be fixed overnight. It's through a complete upheaval - changing one's mindset/thought patterns, habits, and coping mechanisms for stress and trauma, and raising one's self-awareness to their own thoughts and emotions - that one can change the way they behave. Cognition is simply a term that refers to our abilities that allow us to process and interpret all this information.

One must make small and consistent efforts to truly see the change they want in themselves. And it's not going to be a smooth, clear-cut process either. There will be times when one will regress to old habits or stagnate, or maybe even develop new but unwanted behavior. Nevertheless, the efforts to be healthier and develop healthier methods of coping with stress and trauma should be consistent to bring about change.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

These may not be the only factors involved but for sure they do affect our behaviour. I agree with that statement.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I don't think only cognition is responsible. Sometimes accidents do happen, involuntarily. However, cognition plays a key role in determining our actions.
Patag Ghosal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patag-ghosal.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Patag Ghosal »

Cognition is generally understanding an idea or an action before it is to be performed. The reason for action may come from cognition, however behavior is inherently affected not just by social and environmental factors but by the plethora of biases that the person may hold towards a particular situation that can drastically alter one's behavior.
EudoraMac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by EudoraMac »

I have a friend whose default reaction to new events or any changes that appear in his life is anxiety.

Oftentimes, when I step in and ask what the matter is and how I can help, it turns out that majority of the thoughts fuelling his anxiety are originating from only his head; no proof whatsoever in the physical realities that his anxieties are founded.

I've since given up the speech on seeing things differently and thus, changing the way (or behavior) he'll have towards any actual incidents that happen, so I guess that for some people, CBT may not even come close to changing their behaviour.

Mostly because, they don't even agree that their thoughts may be unfounded and thus requires change.

For this my friend who will be anxious for most of his life, a change in the way he sees and perceives things will definitely go a long way in reducing his anxiety, because that is often the source, but how can that change even be achieved in the first place?
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Of course, as you mention, a lot of factors affect our behavior. But, I think, unless it's a very extreme case, we can change our thoughts and fight those factors. Let's say genetics or the environment. We can't change that we have, say, a genetic predisposition to drink when were stressed and that we saw our parents do it. But with the appropriate introspection and the help of CBT we can realize this is not a healthy way to deal with stress, and we can implement healthier options. I think this book targets anxiety and stress in everyday life and not much more extreme cases where other kind of therapy or intervention might be required.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I think cognition is a big role player. Emotions and cognition are closely related in the brain. Emotions aren't developed in the heart, it comes from the brain, from our thoughts and perceptions of past and current experiences.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

The author suggests that thoughts have a large impact towards behavioral change and I agree. A different mindset does go along way and attitude attributes to someone's character.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Thoughts typically play a huge role in our behavior, but I think there are also other circumstances that can affect it. But, our thoughts are extremely powerful and we do have to watch them to be sure we are nurturing good thoughts, because if we let them get away from us, before we know it we will be down a very dark path.
A FANTASTIC book that has to do with this (very interesting and SO TRUE!) is called “Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives.” I would highly recommend this to anyone, but especially people who are very interested in this question about cognitive behavior.
-Thea M. Frederick

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”