Culture

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Re: Culture

Post by Anthony__ »

To me, I think culture plays a major way in dealing with anxiety and stress. For instance, in some part of Africa, they believe the best way to deal with anxiety is through taking some roots from plants wheras, other part believes in Yoga and regular excercise. Either ways, one should impliment what works for him or her the most.
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

I'm not sure about "culture" as "up-bringing". Some people believe anxiety and depression are all in your mind and you just need to "buck up" and go on with life. Some don't believe in taking pills; pills are just a gimmick by drugstores. Some think admitting you have anxiety or depression is a sign of weakness. I personally like the non-pill approach but it is not always effective until you can get yourself on the way to self-control. Is this my "culture"? I agree that being open-minded and willing to try a variety of things is the best approach.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Different cultures and religions may approach these techniques in view of their beliefs. Some cultures may dismiss certain methods. Each person should decide for themselves (according to their own personal beliefs) which methods to try.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

Growing up, I always saw "being busy and stressed with the business" as a good thing. Maybe this is something I got from my parents, but I always thought that it is best to always be busy and occupied, and seen that way. I think this view (and I perceive it to be prevalent in American Culture) has contributed to a lot of unhealthy behaviors that I and many people I know engage in. These behaviors, such as over-committing and not sleeping enough, are seen as normal or even good behaviors to "society," so even though I know I shouldn't do them, I am in the habit of doing them and I am backed by their social acceptance.
DominikaS
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominikas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DominikaS »

Some cultures don't really believe in mental health issues until something tragic happens, so I think that some of the methods presented in the book would be more acceptable in place like that, as medication is usually frowned upon by wider society.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

Culture can blindside anyone from truly seeing what is beneficial and worthwhile. In some cultures and locations, yoga is seen as diabolical although it has been helpful to a whole lot of people and due to the culture of this particular people, the adoption of yoga for relieving stress will be avoided. So, yes, culture does affect the practicability of this method.
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

In some areas, natural methods are met with a lot of criticism, and because of the little knowledge surrounding the subject.

Which mean, a person would have to ail in secret and medicate in secret which ramps up the anxiety again.
Aurora1114
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora1114.html
Latest Review: Road to Delano by John DeSimone

Post by Aurora1114 »

Yes, I believe culture affects the practicality of the methods mentioned. Most cultures around the world has some or other way to deal with stress. Like in India yoga is one of the most effective and its uses are known all over the world. The author has included most of the cultural methods of relieving stress in the book
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

What we as society put belief into becomes reality. When we use these methods regularly they may work
Spencer Mack
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

The effectiveness of all advice is dependent on an individual's cultural background and belief system. No solution works for everyone, especially for issues that are more subjective.
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
LauraLambton
Currently Reading: Small Island
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauralambton.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by LauraLambton »

I think culture causes anxiety so we need to move away from what we are told to do and do what we think will work for us when dealing with it. Its no coincidence that there are much higher rates of anxiety in Western culture than in other areas.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

FS60 wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 04:34 mpsmaster wrote:
> That depends. In some religions you would not be seem with good eyes if you
> practice meditation, Islam, for example, others you would not be allowed to
> take the medicines. Other slow paced, contemplative cultures, some islands
> in Japan, you wouldn’t need the methods in the book, avoid anxiety in daily
> life is the norm.
Islam encourages people to practice spirituality and build connection with the Creator for an anxiety-free life. A meaningful life in which helping others is the basic aim is an ideal way to lead a peaceful life according to Islam and its principles.
Indeed!
So, for example beside an spiritual practice's like praying, exercise would be something that is encouraged in the Islamic culture.

In the African culture though, when you exercise, people look at you funnily, as if you're doing something alien, and they just can't understand why you would be doing yoga or any exercise.
Their own way of dealing with stress would be...
Actually, I don't know if there is even such a thing as the concept of stress or anxiety in the African culture.

"Our forefathers were never depressed, so how dare we have anxiety let alone depression?"
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think culture crafts how the mind perceives things and is a determining factor in how people receive advice. All the methods in this book won't work as a universal bandaid - some might go against some preestablished notion or methodology of doing things. I think it'd be a pick, choose and refuse type of situation when it comes on to applying these practices cross-culture.
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I think that a lot of cultures would put this on the "New Age" section of the shelf. I do think it belongs there, but not limited to that section. It reminds me a lot of how people who used certain herbs and plants for medicine and were seen as practicing certain religions (witches, etc) when that may have not necessarily been true.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I felt that the author did a good job of keeping his advice practical and factual. Still some of the practices are seen as having religious connotations which would affect how they are received by people of different cultures.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”