Culture

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Re: Culture

Post by Essywa »

Since we all come from different cultures one can opt to choose what suits them without causing any kind of alarm.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I find it interesting that your question was concerning culture but the majority of answers here are in regards to religion. As much as "culture" tries to separate itself from religion, those belief systems are engrained in us from birth and therefore affect us and every move we make. Even when someone tries to denounce the religious belief system they were brought up with, when they do try methods generally looked down on by that culture, that culture still wispers inside. For example, if I were raised in a cultural/religious belief system that looks down on meditation, if I decide to try meditation my inner voice may question its validity thereby sabotaging my attempt. It's very difficult to overcome cultural and religious beliefs that have been engrained in us from our beginnings.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I think that culture would affect the availability of some of the plants that were suggested since they are not grown everywhere.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

shirleym89 wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 06:07 Culture plays an important role in how people respond to certain methods on dealing with stress. The methods might not work on cultural people.
What methods exactly do you think can cause a problem for a culture? Generally, language barrier or availability plays a major role. But do you think any other methods can be an important factor?
twinkle09
Currently Reading: Tactile Therapy: Volume One
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkle09.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by twinkle09 »

I think different cultures have different ways to deal with anxiety. Religion on other hand offers less solution to this in my opinion. For example meditation and yoga are both considered great ways to get to know yourself better in Indian culture and Hindu religion. Other religions might not provide this benefit.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

In applying the anxiety and stress relieving techniques suggested in this book, one needs an open mind. If any of the techniques are inconsistent with the cultural beliefs of any reader, there should be alternative remedies that will be permissible by their culture.
difu
Currently Reading: The Demon of the Well
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-difu.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by difu »

Personally, I appreciate the conventional methods such as Yoga, Meditation and even Exercise, as a solution to anxiety. Culturally I can relate to the conventional method more because where I come from, we do not use medication as a treatment for anxiety.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

As individuals read this book, they need to remember their cultures and beliefs and act accordingly.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Cindy94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindy94.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Cindy94 »

In my culture stress and anxiety is not taken serious. They believe it’s not an illness and most people can overcome it. It’s not something that is talked about and people tend to suffer alone or they just find someone to talk to about it so that they can feel better.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

As far as I know, a same kind of method is used, but in a different way in different areas. Same exercise and same results are found but they are executed keeping in view the common practice found in one's culture.
77way
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 77way »

Culture could giving more inspiration of idea to make or create a book or novel, enrich the masterpiece of story line.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

I believe that every culture and religion has a way to reduce stress, from specific meals to confessions to prayers. But I also believe that some relief methods are universal, like exercise.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

mpsmaster wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 04:29 That depends. In some religions you would not be seem with good eyes if you practice meditation, Islam, for example, others you would not be allowed to take the medicines. Other slow paced, contemplative cultures, some islands in Japan, you wouldn’t need the methods in the book, avoid anxiety in daily life is the norm.
Actually, Islam is not against meditation. The thing is, we pray 5 times a day, everyday and that is, in a way, similar to meditating. The only situation where one can be criticized, is if they replace their prayers with meditation.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

People of different culture can interpret these methods in different ways.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

Cultural norms and practical norms may not always fit together. Still, for the sake of your mental health, you should take charge and find a new norm that would fit in both categories.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”