Culture

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Re: Culture

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

Each culture is has its own tried and tested methods to dealing with anxiety. I believe its important to mindful of that when suggesting or trying any method.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

Not all cultural values would embrace the methods mentioned in the book. I think culture is a factor that can influence how individuals apply the methods. In fact, one may work for one individual and not the next.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

Some cultures either approve or deny the practical methods outlined in the book. I cannot think of a particular culture where these methods would be frowned upon, by my religion and the society I live in does not care about these methods.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

I'm sure some of the methods aren't applicable to people of every belief. Like the meditation for example. Christians are taught that meditation is finding peace within yourself, which excludes God and that is why they don't recommend it.
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

In some cultures anxiety is handled very differently. In Asian countries meditation and calligraphy help, while in others medicine is depended on. Some use ancient medicinal guides, like teas and herbs instead of over-the-counters and prescriptions.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

Patrick Maina1 wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 02:35 How does culture affect the practicability of the methods proposed by the author?
Culture, and by extension religion, can be a great influence on whether someone chooses to follow a certain path or not. You see this in treatments for both mental and physical illnesses. People would say no to the best-option treatment because it conflicts with their culture, or they would avoid dealing with problems entirely because of cultural bias. I think it is up to every person to evaluate the biases they hold due to things like culture and then evaluate whether or not they choose to hold on to them or pursue somehting that might help them. That is only a choice the person themselves can make and it shouldn't be up to us to decided whether or not it's because of their culture or not
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Whilst culture plays a huge role in our perception and beliefs, I think it is best for one to identify certain things such as anxiety-reducing techniques, that resonate with them as individuals and embrace them. Many cultures, for example, do not promote openly admitting psychological issues. It is thus important to keep an open mind in many instances.
"She remembered who she was.
And then the game changed."
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

Depending on the environment I know for a fact that where I reside culture wouldn't affect you in any way.
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

In our culture yoga is one of the effective way to reduce stress
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

In some religions such as Hinduism, meditation is synonymous with prayers. Meditation as we know, plays a big role in maintaining our stress levels.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Culture greatly affects how the methods proposed by the author can be adopted. In traditional cultures like those of the Ghanaian people, anxiety isn't a state of mind that widely recognized. It's not a topic that is widely discussed between older and younger generations. Opening up to members of the older generation and expressing one's emotions may seem awkward to the older generation, and they may not know how to handle that as most of them do not know how to handle these due to their upbringing. In such situations where traditional culture does not support solving anxiety situations, the best thing is to go for therapy.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Culture depends on the background of an individual for example the Muslims have a culture of not taking pork, so it's all depends on the individual background.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Culture might be dynamic, but every culture would very certainly have some form/representation of the methods required for natural remedies to these challenges
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Culture and religion play a role in most aspects of a person's life. I think there is something for everyone in this book, although not everyone will feel comfortable using all of the techniques. I think you have to figure out what works for you and go from there.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think the methods will be more practical if they can be absorbed and integrated with the culture. If the method is somehow culturally unacceptable, it might cause additional stress.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”