Do you really believe in an alternative none psych pharmacological to control anxiety and stress?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: Do you really believe in an alternative none psych pharmacological to control anxiety and stress?

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

That's part of the reason I hesitate to go on some medications. Some of them have addictive properties, leading to a host of new stress in the end. These alternative methods are just as traditional as pharmaceutical medicine, if not arguably more so. I think these work and are effective.
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

I would bet that the given treatments could help a majority of those who suffer from anxiety and depression if the individual had the self-discipline to be consistent with it. I think people who find themselves spinning out of control from anxiety or sinking quickly into the darkness of depression should seek professional help, then, when they are stable and with the help and supervision of their physician, attempt to balance their treatment with natural remedies.
Moocow1213
Currently Reading: Empath Ebook
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moocow1213.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moocow1213 »

I think there are many different techniques and methods to manage anxiety and stress other than medication. Including lesser known methods like EFT.
Personally I have tried EFT and have found it to be useful as well as medication, but I really think that the technique used depends on a persons circumstances and health.
Student, book obsessed and a spiritual individual
'Trust the process'
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I think being able to have alternative methods might be better in most cases. However, I wouldn't get rid of the pharmacological method. There are many cases of anxiety where a common method might be needed.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I believe natural remedies are not explored enough. Pharmaceuticals make a lot of money in western culture therefore, there is a pill for everything. When I get too stressed I vent to my brothers. It is like I am releasing all my worries into the universe when I do this and they allow me too. The book provided information on how to view life, and the use of various and teas and herbs I now incorporate into my day to day. I found this information to be very helpful.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Yes. I can easily mange mine without the use of meds. Others will have to take some to help them.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am very interested in alternative remedies, but I am not ready to quit taking my medications. I do hope some of the alternative remedies will help me reduce my medications.
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

I believe that a person with any level of stress and anxiety should begin with non pharmaceutical options for learning to understand and control their reactions to situations. Although I do think that there are some cases that are so severe that they must begin with pharmaceutical help and then work there way to a non pharmaceutical treatment plan. It's healthier for the person. I have years of experience with this because my daughter has been dealing with anxiety for years (from a young girl due to Hoshimoto's disease) and has always managed it with non pharmaceutical treatment.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

One hundred percent. And I speak not only from reading books, but also from personal experience. Alternative medicine can do wonders where traditional western medicine(allopathy) fails. I am not saying that it is a wonder one-cure-for-all, but it definitely has enormous potential.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think it depends on the individual. If someone has a chemical imbalance, they may need meds. Some people may just need deep breathing and yoga.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I think it depends on the person. In high school, my anxiety was terrible, but with therapy I was able to manage it without meds. After I had my son, it's been debilitating. Now I'm on meds and it's great, but I don't plan to continue taking them for the rest of my life.
Afrochild7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrochild7.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Afrochild7 »

They are actually my primary preference. I currently reviewed a book about addiction and it has reinforced my belief on more natural treatments
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 06:37 There are many alternative medicines/therapies that one can try. For mild cases, I am convinced that these can work. However, for severe anxiety I would never recommend somebody to refuse conventional medicine and only try natural remedies, as this might not be enough.
As a medical doctor, I agree with this statement. Naturopathic medicines are alluring because they promise to be natural. But natural doesn't always mean good, effective, or without harm. I think for mild and non-emergent conditions where natural remedies are unlikely to cause further harm, they are a viable option. The placebo effect also helps to control symptoms: patients note improvement in their symptoms because they believe the remedy is working. However, as you say, for severe cases I would recommend leaning on thoroughly tested medicines whose efficacy, toxicity, and side effect profile are well known. A panic attack, for example, is one of the worst feelings someone can have, and in that case, rapid relief is unlikely to be achieved by natural remedies alone.
Samavis89700
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samavis89700.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Samavis89700 »

Yes, I think the human mind is powerful enough to overcome anxiety and stress on its own without a pharmacological intervention. Anxiety and stress come from the mind, so the mind must have some control over it. Even if sometimes, people need help controlling their anxiety and stress, I think mild cases of anxiety and stress can generally be dealt with naturally instead of using pills or invasive treatments. Maybe severe cases are the ones that need pharmacological solutions the most, but even then, I think someone with severe anxiety can overcome it with more natural methods, if they really wanted it. (But there's nothing wrong with wanting to just take a pill, either.)
golubinka5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by golubinka5 »

If you mean without the pills, yes. I'm a great example. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD and my anxiety was at the point of having chest pains every day (three years ago). I didn't want to take meds and researched TMS therapy. After the first session, my chest pains stopped. I haven't had chest pains and other symptoms ever since. Just make sure get enough sleep and at least occasionally take vitamin B, D, C in the food. I believe TMS therapy has no side effects, unless you have a pacemaker and/or over 65 years old, but I'd recommend to look it up.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”