Do you really believe in an alternative none psych pharmacological to control anxiety and stress?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
saracristina1998
Favorite Book: Narnia chronicles The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Currently Reading: Nightlord sunset (The Nightlord Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saracristina1998.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Icon Do you really believe in an alternative none psych pharmacological to control anxiety and stress?

Post by saracristina1998 »

As a med student, I have seen how people with high levels of stress and anxiety only reduce them by having control of their minds and bodies, which mostly can be achieved by the right combination of pharmaceuticals. But it also has drawn new cases of addiction to those medicines.

I would love to see other effective options of treatment to this illnesses.
DominikaS
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominikas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DominikaS »

I know someone that claims they made an alter ego of themselves that was rude, didn't care about what others thought and was mean to everyone in order to combat their anxiety disorder at i think 12(?). They say it worked for them, but that it also changed their personality in a way to be this mean person at times. The best way to think about it is Jackyl and Hyde.
MayaRegina
Currently Reading: Subversive Lives
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaregina.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MayaRegina »

I am not sure if this will help. In my experience, whenever I go through high levels of stress I pop one ibuprofen. The stress will flood me, migraines will disable me for days and I constantly reach out for pain killer. I read up on how bad ibuprofen is if constantly taken so I decided to manage my stress and migraines through working out and lessening my "head time" and keeping my hands busy.
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

I honestly do believe in some natural remedies. There are someillnesses out there that cannot be helped by medication but a change in lifestyle. Adding some herbs or meditation to your routine can help. I've seen it working in my life. But that doesn't mean I don't turn to pharmicuticals every once in a while. I've used oils to help reduss stress, to help me sleep, and for headaches. Oils have not really helped with my headaches but I have noticed my sleep and stress being helped by them. Everyone is different and not everything will work for the individual. That's why I liked the author stating that many of these things meantioned in the book should be done under the supervision of your doctor. They can help monitor and have the outside perspective on these things.
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I believe that nature has a way of balancing itself and shifting to some equilibrium. However, in some cases intervention in the form of medication is needed and I'm not against it as long as other alternative stress and anxiety management treatments are also explored.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

There are many alternative medicines/therapies that one can try. For mild cases, I am convinced that these can work. However, for severe anxiety I would never recommend somebody to refuse conventional medicine and only try natural remedies, as this might not be enough.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I believe that Western medicine is quite dangerous. The developmemt of a drug should not be considered complete while it still has bad side-effects. If you can invoke a strong belief in natural relirf techniques, this musy strengthen the likelihood of them working. Mind over matter.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I have never taken meds to relieve stress or anxiety. I usually meditate or walk in nature. I think it is very attainable to remove stress or anxiety when you are able to calm yourself and find your center. It's not an easy job, but for me it did work better than anything else.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I think that mental health, as with any illness, has varying levels and requires different treatment for each situation. I have read many positive things about CBT and I know people who benefited from it. I also know people who take prescription medication in order to live fulfilling lives. So long as people consult medical and psychiatric professionals first, I believe there are lots of different treatments that might work. I do not, however, think that there is any "one right way" for everyone.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I would love to be able to say 'yes' and throw my full support behind non-pharma remedies, but in my experience, nothing works quite as well or quite as quickly. As long as we remain in control of the meds and do not become clinically dependent on them, I don't believe there is anything wrong with popping a pill. Sometimes, chamomile tea just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid!
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

I guess for pharmaceutical remedies, the effect is guaranteed since it's already scientifically tested. There are some alternative non-pharma remedies that could help, like changing your lifestyle, but it can be difficult since you have to fight through it yourself and manage your anxiety and stress. I do believe that non-pharma remedies work sometimes, but it depends on the person and how willing they are to immerse themselves in other remedies like meditation or grounding techniques, and how well it works for them.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I guess pharmaceuticals do work and are necessary for high level debilitating stress. I see it as a last resort though and not as the first option.

Other things you can do first over time include:
Changing your lifestyle , exercise regularly, spiritual practice's, diet change, try to figure out the source of stress and see if you can get rid of it or maybe Change it.
Maybe see a therapist if nothing works over time.
Sometimes, all one needs is just to breathe or something simple and drugs just make the situation worse in that type of case.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Since drug addiction to opiates has become a serious public health issue, alternative medicine has been a popular choice among many sufferers of anxiety and stress.
talloyd01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talloyd01.html
Latest Review: Inside the Mind of a Successful CEO by David V. Mastran

Post by talloyd01 »

Abacus wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 09:42 I believe that Western medicine is quite dangerous. The developmemt of a drug should not be considered complete while it still has bad side-effects. If you can invoke a strong belief in natural relirf techniques, this musy strengthen the likelihood of them working. Mind over matter.
I agree. Our great primary care medical doctor is of Indian heritage, and she won't normally prescribe anxiety meds , and is very reluctant to prescribe opioids. We appreciate a doctor that doesn't like to throw pills at a problem as a first resort...
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I think that there are many options to control anxiety and stress. Some of those options are obviously pharmaceuticals. However, some individuals can use meditation, spiritual therapy, and other remedies to help alleviate stress. I think it all depends on the person and the levels of anxiety and stress that they are facing.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”