Fairy tale retellings books

For August 2020 we'll be reading Fairy Tale/Retelling of a Fairy Tale.
Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Re: Fairy tale retellings books

Post by Mariesg »

I am absolutely in love with fairytale retellings and if you don't mind, I'm going to take some of these suggestions as well. Some of my suggestions include:
- Jenni James Faerie Tale Collection. It's a series of fairy tale retellings, but each is a stand alone so you can read them in any order.
- K.M. Shea's Timeless Fairytale Series and its sequel Fairytale Enchantress Series. So, these books are extremely cool. Each is a fairytale retelling and the first couple of books you can maybe read out of order, but I would suggest reading them in order. While each book has their own plot, there is an overarching plot that isn't even resolved in the Timeless Fairytale Series but goes on to become the main focus of the Fairytale Enchantress Series, which is why there's that series. There's also a prequel series you should check out from her, the Snow Queen Series. It's just this big, wonderful world where all the fairytales coexist together and they all start working together to fight an evil. I'm still waiting for the equivalent of The Avengers: Endgame moment when they all get together to fight Thanos to happen in these books. It's a really great series. You should check out her website for more information. Kmshea.com
- Shard of Glass by Emily Deady is one that seems to be similar to K.M. Shea's, which excites me. Fairytale retellings that can stand on their own but have an overarching plot that connect them. However, Shard of Glass is the only book currently out, but I do believe the second one is going to come out later this month. I liked the book a lot. Shard of Glass is a Cinderella Retelling and the second one is going to a Beauty and the Beast Retelling but I can't remember the name of it right now.
- Traitor's Masque and Goldheart by Kenley Davidson are also some other great books. I think it's a series, too, but more closely related to Jenni James type of series. Traitor's Masque is a Cinderella retelling and Goldheart is a Rumplestiltskin retelling.
- Cinders: The Untold Story of Cinderella is one of my favorite all time retellings. It's so good and you should definitely give it a read. Unlike the rest of this list, it is a stand alone novel and is not a part of any series.

Those are my suggestions. I've read more, but those are the ones I could remember off the top of my head. I hope you get a chance to read them and you enjoy them. Have fun reading!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Mariesg wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 15:34 I am absolutely in love with fairytale retellings and if you don't mind, I'm going to take some of these suggestions as well. Some of my suggestions include:
- Jenni James Faerie Tale Collection. It's a series of fairy tale retellings, but each is a stand alone so you can read them in any order.
- K.M. Shea's Timeless Fairytale Series and its sequel Fairytale Enchantress Series. So, these books are extremely cool. Each is a fairytale retelling and the first couple of books you can maybe read out of order, but I would suggest reading them in order. While each book has their own plot, there is an overarching plot that isn't even resolved in the Timeless Fairytale Series but goes on to become the main focus of the Fairytale Enchantress Series, which is why there's that series. There's also a prequel series you should check out from her, the Snow Queen Series. It's just this big, wonderful world where all the fairytales coexist together and they all start working together to fight an evil. I'm still waiting for the equivalent of The Avengers: Endgame moment when they all get together to fight Thanos to happen in these books. It's a really great series. You should check out her website for more information. Kmshea.com
- Shard of Glass by Emily Deady is one that seems to be similar to K.M. Shea's, which excites me. Fairytale retellings that can stand on their own but have an overarching plot that connect them. However, Shard of Glass is the only book currently out, but I do believe the second one is going to come out later this month. I liked the book a lot. Shard of Glass is a Cinderella Retelling and the second one is going to a Beauty and the Beast Retelling but I can't remember the name of it right now.
- Traitor's Masque and Goldheart by Kenley Davidson are also some other great books. I think it's a series, too, but more closely related to Jenni James type of series. Traitor's Masque is a Cinderella retelling and Goldheart is a Rumplestiltskin retelling.
- Cinders: The Untold Story of Cinderella is one of my favorite all time retellings. It's so good and you should definitely give it a read. Unlike the rest of this list, it is a stand alone novel and is not a part of any series.

Those are my suggestions. I've read more, but those are the ones I could remember off the top of my head. I hope you get a chance to read them and you enjoy them. Have fun reading!
Thank you, I will check them out. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I think Mirror, Mirror... ? by Dodie Meister will worth a try. It's kind of like a fairy tale in the modern version.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

audreads wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 16:46 Hi gali!

While I haven't read all of these, these books seem to be incredibly popular and have more positive reviews than negative, so they've ended up on my TBR and may end up on yours, too! Hopefully you find one you like (and haven't already read):

-The Lunar Chronicles Series by Marissa Meyer (Cinder is a retelling of Cinderella, Scarlet is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, Cress is a retelling of Rapunzel, and Winter is a retelling of Snow White)
-A Curse So Dark And Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (retelling of Beauty and the Beast and is also becoming a trilogy)
-Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page (retelling of the Wizard of Oz and is also a series)
-House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig (retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses)
-Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman (retelling of Sleeping Beauty)
-The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (retelling of A Thousand and One Nights)
I absolutely LOVED House of Salt and Sorrows!! The twelve dancing princesses was a favorite in our house for a while, which caught my interest. The book is great, it’s an eerie retelling and written very well!
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

I’m excited to add some of these suggestions to my reading list! Sea Witch by Sarah Henning is my pick for the month. It’s a retelling of Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid. It is not a stand alone though, there is a sequel.

I mentioned this book in a post on another topic, but thought I’d share it here in case it interested anyone who may have missed my earlier post. Also, has anyone already read it? Curious to see if I’ve chosen well! (No spoilers please. 😉)
gali

Post by gali »

Kreads1 wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 13:04 I’m excited to add some of these suggestions to my reading list! Sea Witch by Sarah Henning is my pick for the month. It’s a retelling of Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid. It is not a stand alone though, there is a sequel.

I mentioned this book in a post on another topic, but thought I’d share it here in case it interested anyone who may have missed my earlier post. Also, has anyone already read it? Curious to see if I’ve chosen well! (No spoilers please. 😉)
Thanks, I will check the books. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

Sou Hi wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 22:01 I think Mirror, Mirror... ? by Dodie Meister will worth a try. It's kind of like a fairy tale in the modern version.
Have you read it?
A retired Admin/Mod

a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html

Post by a_r_egerton »

Mercedes Lackey has also written the "Elemental Masters" series, which combines historical fiction with folklore or fairy tales. The ones that I have read have been set anywhere from the Victorian era to World War I. The series includes The Sepent's Shadow (Snow White), Phoenix and Ashes (Cinderella), and Reserved for the Cat (Puss in Boots).
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Pluma wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 23:51 ‘Stepsister’ by Jennifer Donnelly is a good one, and I also enjoyed ‘Sherwood’ by Meagan Spooner. The former is a spin on Cinderella and the latter is a retelling of Robin Hood; both focus more on the flawed and interesting female characters than the traditional male heroes, so I would recommend these if this is the kind of thing you enjoy.
I recently finished reading Stepsister and loved it. I will have to check out Sherwood.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

If you are looking for standalone books about fairytale retellings, there's a couple surrounding the 12 Dancing Princesses fairytale that isn't as well known as some others. My favorite is Entwined by Heather Dixon. If you're looking for a series, I'm going to have to recommend Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas because I know it was based on the Cinderella story, and because I just can't help myself; I loved that series! I'm sure it's already been recommended to you before.
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you, guys! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “August 2020 Genre Discussion”