Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

The overall rating I would give to the book kalayla would be a fantastic one because I found the book to be interesting and lovely to read. It does contain that slice of life that I believe everyone needs.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

The author told the story of Kalayla using the perspectives of the three main characters, and I think it was meticulously done. The transition from one perspective to the next was not distracting, rather, it moved the story. The personalities of each character shone during their perspectives, and I appreciate that they felt real and not like puppets on a string. I felt like certain parts should have come with trigger warnings, like the descriptions of traumatic experiences and domestic violence.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

I rated the book 5 out of 5 stars. I just enjoyed the way the author presented the story. Family is indeed not just by blood
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

It deserves complete stars rating. It is a really good book with a powerful narrative. The multiple character narration is done so smoothly without an iota of confusion. The author did such a nice job indeed. The themes cut across race, family, values, upbringing of children, acceptance and abusive marriages amongst other fundamental issues surrounding human interactions.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

Well I think this is a book that focuses on the women gender. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I love the setting of the book, the charters development and the main story of the book.
BenjaminFrank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benjaminfrank.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by BenjaminFrank »

Zubayydah wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 19:01 I agree with that. I think it is a good message to pass across in this time of racial tension. We are family, despite our differing appearances.

I am in support of this, the World needs healing, we must recognize that broken people cannot really fix things, our different appearances would not so much count if all our hearts are one.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

I like everything about the book. It has interesting characters, a unique storyline, interesting lessons to be learned and a lot of amazing personalities.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Kaylayla is a sweet story of a young girl whose life can be seen on the streets in reality. I enjoyed the part where she has to visit the old lady. I rate the book five out of five stars.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

I have only gotten through the first few chapters, but so far I am really enjoying this book, and as of right now I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars!
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Post by revathy sw »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. The titular character Kalayla proved to be an endearing heroine. I think the author captured the voice of a child very well. The way Lena, Maurice and Kalayla helped one another was heartwarming to read about. I thought the novel blended happiness and sadness beautifully. Nicholas has skillfully shown some of the best and worst of humanity. While there were some things that felt a bit too coincidental, overall, I thought that the story was well crafted.
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”