Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
JoJoLarry07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by JoJoLarry07 »

"Kalayla" is a really amazing novel. To start with I must commend the author's ability and effort in carefully developing the plot. The book clearly speaks about child upbringing, parental abuse and somehow independence. Kalayla was a young girl but with a very big matured heart and that is beautiful. Something lots of people should work towards inculcating. Although she didn't get the best of upbringing or have that opportunity of growing up with family members around, she got to learn that family is not just blood but could be even your old kind neighbor and although she was neglected by her mother, she could stand up for herself and design her own life.
Jeannie Nicholas did a really good job and I rate the book a 4 star because it is relatable to the live most people face in the society today also I will not forget the religious attribute of forgiveness spelled out in the growth of the book.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

I think this is the best book that i have ever read. I loved that it made me cry and was touching. I fid not like the racism that wad quite frequent with Maureen's family. However, I would recommend it to my friends because it is a great read.
Bibi Farheen K
Currently Reading: Lore of Light Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibi-farheen-k.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bibi Farheen K »

I really love Kalayla. The characters were engaging. The story really shows that it takes a village to raise a child. And that village can become a pillar of support for the parents and all involved.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I do not have words for this book. It is so natural, that you feel the characters as your family. when I read those characters' stories, I read something I wish it lasts never, it is like you are introduced to some family as a Neighbour.
In most books, characters are given exaggerated powers, they are unmistakable or ...But, look at Kalayla, the smart-mouthed girl, she is so Lovable, she is so Real. Look at Maureen, she is a naturally designed character.
The books teach us a lot, Lena's attitude is amazing. The writer gives us a persuading reason for Lena's attitude. It is among my all time best book!
Eugenia36Nicholas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eugenia36Nicholas »

I am so grateful to all of you who have read and appreciated Kalayla. I am working on the sequel and finding it infinitely complicated to live in the minds of three such different characters. Of course, this was true of the first book, but the continuation plays out the issues raised for each character.
At this moment, Kalayla is dealing with the loss of her father; Maureen is increasingly aware that she cannot protect Kalayla from the outside world; Lena is exploring a new life while being increasingly aware of her advancing age.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I love this book! It's definitely getting a 4 out of 4 stars. The name kalayla is such a unique one, but what I really loved about the story was how real the characters felt. The author was able to make you feel for them.
Deidre Sindile B
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deidre-sindile-b.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Deidre Sindile B »

The way it was written is honestly a disaster. It's full of errors and typos, and therefore I couldn't get through it.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

I imagine Kalayla as a wise and intellectual young girl even at her young age. She is one who expresses her emotions and is bold too. One can sense this when she especially finds out that her mother lied to her about her grandparents. The book is a perfect book as it dwelled on several thematic preoccupations one can learn from and infuse into one's daily lives especially when one gets married and give birth to children too.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Kalayla strikes me as a strong-willed young girl who grew up faster than she should. She acts so mature and her sharp mouth makes me laugh while I was reading the book. I also like the fact that Lena sticked through with Maureen and Layla, despite her own troubles. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Adored the storyline of Kalayla, Maureen, and Lena they enlighten you about life. That in life we don't have to pertain first, even unrelated brotherhoods can help each other. At least I like Kalayla, Maureen, and Lena. Yes, I can recommend the book to others because you can connect to the book.
Aeesha Bashir
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aeesha.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aeesha Bashir »

I absolutely loved the book and the were so many issues that the author discussed in a way I really enjoyed. Lena was my favourite character. I rate this book 4 out 4 stars.
Aeesha :techie-studyinggray:
_rhea_odanike
Currently Reading: Chasing the Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-odanike.html

Post by _rhea_odanike »

Kaylayla is a wonderful book. It contained not just a storyline but meaningful topics like Racism, child upbringing, and family. I enjoyed every moment of this book
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

The three completely different characters were promising. Kalayla's character development was worth watching. Maureen and Lena have their own troubles. The way all three intertwine is lovely. I liked how the author kept changing the first person for a better understanding. Overall, it was a good read.
Rexan
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rexan.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Rexan »

I felt a wide range of emotions while reading [Kalayla], and the character Kalayla grew on me. I found myself telling my friends about the book and calling Kalayla, 'K'.
The book Kalayla, protrays diversity in a cruel and beautiful way. I really learnt that the world could be very ugly and very beautiful if only you let it.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

I've read both the initial and the corrected upload of the book.

The corrected one got my perfect rating. The story is perfectly written—realistic, touchy, hilarious, and engaging. Nothing in the book for me to dislike

The first upload would have goten my perfect rating but because of the grammar errors in it then.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”