Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by honeybear_11001 »

I rate this book 4 stars because it is realistic and relevant to the real world. I loved that the characters impacted each other's lives in a positive way. I loved the friendship companionship formed between Kalayla, Lena and Maureen. I did not like the sexual harassment but it was relevant. I would definitely recommend this phenomenal read.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I've read the book three times and it never gets old. I like the character of Kalayla and Lena best. It is both entertaining and educative. My rating for Kalayla was 4 out of 4 stars. Still, I couldn't appreciate it enough.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I enjoyed reading Kalayla. The growing bond and love between each character are beautiful to read. I loved Kalayla's bits as she grew up in front of our eyes. Kalayla is a strong character-driven book. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

I absolutely loved this book because of numerous issues were highlighted in the book that we battle in society like racism and homophobia.
Bioluwrites
Currently Reading: Back Home
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bioluwrites.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bioluwrites »

I have only read a few chapters but I love reading from the perspective of three characters, It helps me know and understand their thoughts better.
Temitope62
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temitope62.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Temitope62 »

I rated the book four out of four stars. This is because the book shines a light on very important social issues and how they affect our society. I also like the first-person narrative techniques employed in the book.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

This book is one of my favorites. I learned a lot of useful knowledge from the book. Your life decisions will determine whether you succeed or fail. Also, even in the best of circumstances, life isn't always pleasant, and parenting can be difficult. The three lead characters dealt with loneliness, bereavement, heartbreak, love, homosexuality, and racism.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

I enjoyed reading the book. The characters are interesting; an example is Kalayla; though she's outspoken and looks brave on the outside, she is still a kid on the inside.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

The glaring idea I got from this book was human capacity for unimaginable cruelty on one hand and our capacity for limitless compassion on the other hand.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Kalayla is a story of love, friendship, family, relationship and is perfectly blended with humour. The book has a lot of character development and will have a positive impact on the reader. I rated it 4 out of 4
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 00:15 This is a discussion topic for the September 2020 Book of the month, Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.

* This topic is for those who read the book.
My overall opinion is that it's a feel good book. A very warm read that emphasizes the power of community. I like that the book shades light on important issues like race relations and family. There were issues I wished had ended differently in the book, like the matter of Clarence. But overall the book was good. I would recommend Kalayla to parents as it has important lessons on raising kids and family. I wouldn't recommend Kalayla to children. It almost passed for a children's book but it has mature content. I gave Kalya a rating of 3 out of 4, I didn't like parts of the story line and it affected my enjoyment of the book.
Similoluwa Odumuyiwa
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-similoluwa-odumuyiwa.html
Latest Review: Midnight On Mars by Marie Montine

Post by Similoluwa Odumuyiwa »

I have only read some chapter but it's already awesome. I love kalayla's youth and rambunctiousness
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Kalayla is like the reflection of a poor girls life. Sometimes, the struggle can get so painful that we are left to try to amuse ourselves, just to feel alright.
The book was very emotional and interesting.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prestige-best »

This book was fascinating and has a lotbof lessons. I enjoyed the author talking about feminine accomplishments. I will rate this book 3-stars due to a few errors and some character conflict.
Suliyat Ademola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suliyat-ademola.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Suliyat Ademola »

Just finished reading it recently. The author did an amazing job! Loved all the characters, even the broken uncle Clarence.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”