Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

Kalayla is an inspirational book with three different generations of women who are first neighbors but form a bond of a family. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
Guadalupe Bustamante
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guadalupe-bustamante.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Guadalupe Bustamante »

I did not like some parts of this novel because Kalayla’s personality and attitude was so grating. I understand that she’s an 11year-old but her attitude was so ugly. On the other hand, I enjoyed how the author included different aspects of motherhood and how tough it is. I have young children so I saw a lot of insight into how it might turn out for me and the challenges I will have to face in my journey.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I have read and reviewed this book. This book was an interesting read that brings hope to every street kid out there. This book contains so many lessons such as the effects of racism and the dangers of marring the wrong partner. I really loved this book and i recommend this book to every mature adult out there. The author did a very good job.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

I am a huge fan of Kalayla and I always will be! I loved how we followed each one of the characters and saw what was happening from their POV. There was also an incredible character development in all the characters (some more than others), which I was also a big fan of. The novel also talks about these serious topics, in a very beautiful and understandable way. Overall a wonderful novel and I would definitely rate it 4 out of 4 stars!
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I started enjoying this book from the cover page and title. It has a fascinating plot. Aside from the few errors, this book deserves a 4-star rating.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I rated it a four out of four stars. It was a well plotted book with a lot of intense themes. It was shocking to me that I couldn't find anything to dislike about the book.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

A perfect example of a book that a mother would say, ' I totally relate'. The book is so relatable especially for parents raising preteens. The author's unique way of telling the story (from a first person's point of view) with no glitches in the flow of the plot was commendable. I give it a perfect rating.
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by IconReviews »

This is a very interesting and captivating book. I found it hard to put down. I like the idea of an old Lady and a preteen becoming friends. This book had so many positive aspects. It deserves a perfect rating
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This is a fascinating book that has touched on different parental errors in the family. I love reading about the 3 women who sought love, redemption, and forgiveness. The author's style was peculiar. I did not have any dislike aside from the few errors I found. This book deserves a 4-star rating.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I loved it. I loved the multiple POV that were given and how it echoed of community and togetherness, which is something that we all need especially now. I loved especially how Lena took an interest in Kalayla and worried about her well-being and even went an extra mile to reach out her. I rate it a 4 out 4 stars. Maureen was portrayed as a struggling parent and it was accurate, given all that she went through. I loved her softness throughout.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I loved this book. Most of the characters are lovable and it was a compassionate book. I couldn't put the book down. Kalayla is very amusing and brings the book to life. Even though the book depicts a lot of struggles in life it was still an upbeat story.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

Kalayla is a very interesting book and I give it 4 stars. The editing is exceptionally done. One thing I love and learnt from this book is that family does not only involve those related to us by blood but it involves those we have accepted and wish to keep as one. I reccomend this book to anyone suffering from family depression. Eveeyother person can read the book too.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

Having read the edited version of this book, I give it 4 stars, I didn't encounter any grammatical or typographical error. One thing I learnt from Kalayla is that family does not only involve those related to us by blood but also by people we chose.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

I loved reading the book - I was totally hooked. The book was totally relatable and served itts literary function - to shed light on the grave issues in the society. The setting of the book serves to let us know, nothing has changed in decades, racism is still real.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

This book was one of my favorites so far. I liked Kalayla's smart mouth. I could feel the pain in this young girl that she was trying to hide. I also liked the diversity in topics and characters.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”