Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I think the best thing about the book is the opportunity to bring together multiple generations of women and realize that there are things that can bond all of them and things that they can learn from each other. It discusses many topics that could be really divisive, even twenty years after the book took place. Instead of creating a rift between these women, it really becomes an opportunity for them to support each other and become their own kind of family.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I would definitely recommend it to other readers. It is such a beautifully penned book that speaks of death in a positive light. It is not filled with scriptures so anyone regardless of your religion status will definitely enjoy this one. A definitely 4 out of 4 stars
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I enjoyed the touch of reality the book brings with relatable characters. The charming quality comes from the fact that the author chose to empathise that family does not necessarily mean you have be related by blood and that your circumstances can change at any given time.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

There's something charming about the way it shows different generations coming together. Like older people have a lot to learn from the young and vice versa. I also liked the way Kalayla talks like a normal kid and is very funny! It can be hard for adult writers to write realistic diction for kids.
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by mbhuibregtse »

I love the character development in the book. By the end, I am in love with Kalayla. Lena is the backbone of the story, keeping everyone together and Maureen really grows into herself as a mother. The secondary characters of Carlotta and Rico provide so much substance to the story as well, all routing for Kalayla to be sucessful.

My least favorite part was Clarence's story. I connected to it, but there was too much foreshadowing of him and something bad happening with the family. It would have been awesome to read a couple more flashbacks of him and Jamal as kids to develop more empathy for Clarence as an adult.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was a great read
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

After reading a few reviews, I finally got my copy of this book. So, far I am laughing. Kalayla is hilarious. But I have to post another reply later on when I finish the book. :techie-reference: :techie-studyinggray:
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

I really like this book. I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars. I think it was an age appropriate introduction to some really tough topics! I would definitely read it again.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

I really enjoyed the book! I particularly liked how the authors' style of writing for each character really brought their personalities to life and it felt like you could really get to know them. The characters felt relatable and real as well as the hardships that they went through. I disliked Kalayla's harsh personality at times and I wish there was more character development for Maureen because it seemed like she fell into the arms of another man instead of becoming more independent. I also think there could have been more discussion of race in terms of Kalayla's mixed-race and how she might have dealt with judgement or felt different, if at all. Otherwise, it was a really heart-warming story and I loved seeing all the generations coming together and creating a new little family of their own after suffering through their own broken families in the past.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

Wow I could say so much about this book! There were times I didn’t think I could keep on reading but thank goodness I did! My overall opinion of this book is in depth. I think the author really took her time to guide us through each character, and then their POV of all the other characters! I love the way this story was put together.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I just finished reading Kalayla, and I am happy to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I highly commend Nicholas on how she touched sensitive topics like marital consent and bullying with finesse. Although I was not moved to tears or other extreme emotions, Kalayla touched my heart nonetheless.
Lunupine
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

I loved this book. The ending I liked the most of because of how things went with both families. I would recommend this for anyone who is looking for a book like this.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I rate this book four out of four stars. I loved how the writer vividly described the characters and events that took place. I could picture in my head how the events unfolded.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

I really enjoyed reading Kalayla. However, I was a little shocked at her behaviour and the foul language she used for her age. Maybe it's the culture of where am from since that behaviour in a child her age is unheard of. I also did feel a lot of pity for her mother Maureen and what she endured.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I rate it as 4. It is such an interesting read. Jeannie made the characters so relatable. I loved every part of it.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I think that Kalayla is a delightful story. The characters are so real and relatable, and the author did well to tell each of their stories clearly. The topics discussed are very common life issues faced at different phases of life. I also learned more about how deep racism cuts into society. There was also some emphasis on the effects of life's choices and decisions. In all, I rated this 4 out of 4 stars, and I couldn't find something I disliked.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”