Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Oye Timothy »

I love Lena. She's someone who, I think, is patient enough to understand Kalayla as a kid that wasn't really gritty, but because she's fatherless and mostly lonely. She took out time to ensure Kalayla became a normal kid.
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mukoan M »

I really enjoyed reading this book, I laughed and learned so much. As a mother I could relate to Maureen and Lena, I loved Kalayla.
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Shivali Y »

I adored this book! I truly believe it did a wonderful job in tackling the issues that are still prevalent today, such as racism, abusive relationships, and homophobia. Since it was a character-driven book, I was glad to see that the characters were wonderfully developed and endearing. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a family-based contemporary fiction story.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:04 I think it's a really good book that cuts across race, sentiments, child upbringing, family and finding happiness.
The best thing about this book is that it is realistic and relatable. It features life's daily challenges and circumstances. One is also able to flow and sympathize with the characters. This, is one of the characteristics of a good book.
Obviously it's not a fast-paced or action-filled book. It's more of an interesting book that might cause you to reflect on the things (and people) around you.
I definitely agree , the book somehow makes you want to thrift through your relationships and life and battle through the challenges that you face and come out a winner, your happiness is the most important thing in your life you have to fight to keep it.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

When I rated Kalayla 4 out of 4 stars, earlier this year, It was not because I was driven by the positive flow of most reviews of the book, it was because I sensed and judged that it deserves nothing less. It is uncommon to find a book that takes on such important topics as systemic racism and other shadowed but equally important ones like cultural misogyny without leaving readers emotionally saturated by overbearing negativity. Jeannie's Kalayla is a book where focus is given to both story and theme as should be. Not alone does it cater for every kind of reader in such a way that average readers get an interesting story to consume and advanced readers find easy routes to uncover educative themes, but its story and the development of its characters have also been crafted with an unmistakable literary flourish.

Kalayla — the kid — is one of the seven wonders of the book, and to anyone who has yet to read through this book, she is the Ultimate Must-Meet Fictional Character Of The Year.
BookReader727_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreader727.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Post by BookReader727_ »

I found the book very realistic and inspired from the real world tragedies. The themes that were discussed and the topics that were brought through the book were really conversation engaging and important to our real world.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

This book is a beautiful read and I would recommend adults to read it. It talks very beautifully about parenting, the struggles of dark colored people, and the importance of owning our mistakes and forgiving our loved ones. It changes our perspectives about certain things.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

I enjoyed reading kalayla's book I think it deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 as it succeeded in raising many important issues: how to raise children and the challenges faced by parents, racism against a particular group due to difference, family relationships and their impact. Also, the development of the characters in the novel was wonderful, especially kalayla, how she turned from a stubborn and reckless girl without a goal to a mature girl who depends on her and works hard to achieve her goals
Tabuya Dube
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabuya-dube.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Tabuya Dube »

I have read the first few chapters and I am impressed with the character development. I really empathize with Lana - her guilt and sadness is so tangible!
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I rated this book four stars. Why? because it is a thoroughly entertaining family drama book. On too of this, it has very many life changing lessons that can help us grow good relationships in our lives.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

Tabuya Dube wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 13:02 I have read the first few chapters and I am impressed with the character development. I really empathize with Lana - her guilt and sadness is so tangible!
Great! But I think you mean to say, “Lena,” yes? :D
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I have recently read this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the author has done a great job in tackling so many relevant issues. Along with that, I loved the character development of the three female leads. There was nothing that I disliked in the book. I would highly recommend this book to readers who love touching family drama. Lastly, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
mark liu
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by mark liu »

After reading the corrected version (I'll assume it was seeing there were no grammatical or major mistakes) I can see how Kalayla was awarded BOTM. I still stand by a 4/4 star rating, although I can see some people thought the middle dragged on a little. I'd tend to agree here and I did wish the ending was developed slightly e.g. with descriptions of Kalayla after spending more time with her maternal grandparents; I'm sure the author would've done a brilliant job with these descriptions, seeing their track record with the rest of the book- a vivid and detailed narrative.
Tabuya Dube
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabuya-dube.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Tabuya Dube »

G D H wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 17:21
Tabuya Dube wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 13:02 I have read the first few chapters and I am impressed with the character development. I really empathize with Lana - her guilt and sadness is so tangible!
Great! But I think you mean to say, “Lena,” yes? :D

lol yes yes
Uniter Oyando
Favorite Book: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uniter-oyando.html
Latest Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Post by Uniter Oyando »

I really enjoyed reading Kalayla, although I wish the author went into depth in bringing out the issues of gender violence, racial struggles, and the repercussions thereafter. What repercussion did Uncle Clarence get? Is forgiveness enough?

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”