Favorite Character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Re: Favorite Character

Post by Laura Mich »

Catie139 wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 09:35 I have a hard time choosing between Kalayla and Lena. There was so much growth in their characters throughout the story. It was touching to see, though, how everything that happened to Kalayla had some impact on both Maureen and Lena as well.
I concur with you. Both characters had effective stories that moved my heart. However, Kalayla influenced other characters like Maureen to become better versions of themselves.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Kalayla and Lena were my two favorite characters. However, Lena's character development was inspired by Kalayla. I also resonated with Kalayla's experience more than I did with both Lena's and Maureen's. As a result, I'd say Kalayla was my favorite character.
AJ_Williams011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-williams011.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AJ_Williams011 »

Although as much as I would like t oppose the main character syndrome, I'm particularly fond of Kalayla. There are much to consider between the other character and how they cope with their struggles and I believe every single one of them have grown in ways we rarely acknowledge. But Kalayla's personality just speaks to me on a level that the others didn't therefore she's my fave among all.
All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.
– Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Of course its Kalayla. Her strength and willpower gives us so much energy to get through. Even at her age, the urge to go on is so much and that makes me like her more. My favourite character hands down is Kalayla.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Well, kalayla sure seems to be everyone's favorite and the fact remains that she is the protagonist of the book. Even though I loved kalayla's character I would have to say my favorite character was Carlotta.
I loved the fact that she is straight forward, isn't afraid to tell the raw truth, and speaks with absolute confidence all the time. She loved animals and founded an animal shelter for the stray and that absolutely melted my heart. Reading about someone who follows their passion is inspiring. She is a loyal friend. She seems to be an excellent cook with a generous heart as all the other characters always seemed to be munching on her deserts.
Sure, she plays a supporting role in the novel but every time her character was being referred to, I would jump in delight.
ohlendorfbe
Favorite Book: The Piano Man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlendorfbe.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ohlendorfbe »

My favorite character is definitely Lena. Probably because I'm closer to her age and relate to some of her issues. Her metamorphosis from a sour old woman who wears black all the time and wallows in her grief and disappointment, to a hilariously funny and sensible woman who mothers all the people in her apartment complex, was truly an important part of this story in my opinion.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Maureen was my favorite character because I just wanted her to succeed. She's a single mother that was ousted by her family because she loved a black man and then he dies and she's left with no one but Kalayla. I love how she was able to forgive her in-laws and father for not being there for her the way she needed them to be. And, I love how she seems open to new love when Rico came in her life, but she was not desperate to find someone to fill that hole in her heart.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

Kalayla is sassy. She is also mature and funny. I love those aspects of her character. Lena also comes close.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

It's really difficult to pick a favorite character in this book. I appreciated and admired Kalayla. She is the woman of the future for sure--smart, strong, and bold. But my favorite is Lena. She is of an older generation and came of age in far more difficult times, so her accomplishment in changing as she did throughout the book is more to be admired.
Jbonds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbonds.html
Latest Review: Diamond in the Desert by Karen Gilleland

Post by Jbonds »

I liked Lena. Her no-nonsense attitude was spot on for an old bag in her seventies. :)
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

I think my favorite character was Lena. She evolved so much over the course of the book, and I'm not certain she even realized it till the end. She cared about helping Kalayla and Maureen, and through doing so she ended up healing from her grief, and mending relationships. I also loved her cleverness and quick-thinking!!
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Well, I would go for Kalayla, she's the youngest but yet she's very mature
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

I would have chosen Lena cause of her motherly nature, but my favourite character is kalayla. Her nature and character would be a good impact to children, despite what she went through she still turned out fine.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

At the end of the day, the majority carries the vote. I may have loved Lena's character so much, but my best would definitely be Kalayla because I could connect more and she was more entertaining to read about.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

My favourite character would have to be Kalayla because of the relatable experience that we both seem to have. As I read her story, I empathized with the endurance that she put through as a very young girl. I was glad that she developed coping mechanisms, which enabled her to survive.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”