Favorite Character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Favorite Character

Post by _claudi_ »

My favourite character would be Kalayla with Lena coming a close second. Kalayla's wits and being funny is the reason am picking her.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

Though I am conflicted, I have to pick Kalayla. I totally loved her humour and mostly how she interacted with Lena . I also agree her story was touching. She was just great.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I loved Kalayla. She was very funny and I liked learning about her life story.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Kalayla is definitely my favourite character because of her tenacity and grit in all her chaallenges in the story. Her strength of character is inspiring and can give hope and courage to other young women facing similar or other circumstances in our world today.
Buddy maxx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddy-maxx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Buddy maxx »

Kaylala is adorable. She's brave, and I love her growth in character. She's an inspiration to young teens.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

My favorite character is definitely Kalayla cos of her strength and maturity.
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

Between the three main characters, I have to say Lena is my favorite because we see her grow and change so much throughout the story. She has the biggest trauma and has been stuck in her rut for the longest, but she still manages to find new strength and create an even better life for herself.

Honestly, I was most impressed with the secondary cast of characters. Lotta and Rico especially won me over with their compassion for helping those who need it. It's so clear from working with Kalayla and Mr. O'Rourke that Rico genuinely wants to help these kids learn and grow in whatever way suits them best, not however is easiest for him.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

My favorite character is kalayla, she is funny and acts mature for her age. She also has high self-esteem nobody can bring her down.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

anoushka_thakur wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 00:29 Who was your favorite character and why?

If you ask me my favorite character was Kayala. I loved her character in this book. I was touched by her story.
My favorite character was Kalayla. I loved her character development. I also loved how impactful she was to those around her, and how the author presented this as Kalayla just being Kalayla is enough for the people around her to be more accepting and grow.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Kola+wole wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 09:13 Kaylala takes my vote. Her character is worthy of emulation and she is so full of humor despite her circumstances. And she is the baby of the house which makes her more appealing to choose.
I agree.
Kalayla .
She went through so much hardship,- which probably helped her be mature for her age.
More importantly though, she didn't allow the hardship she went through to bring her down, or kill her light.
That is endearing and applaudable.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
KaylinBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylinbrown.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by KaylinBrown »

Kaylee123 wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 10:14 For the main characters, my favorite character was Kalayla. I found her honesty refreshing, even though she was a little inappropriate at times. I also loved how much she loved her mother, even if she had trouble showing it. I also found her to be super funny at times, like when she was worried Lena was going to die when she decided to start wearing color again.

For minor characters, I really enjoyed Rico. I liked that he gave Maureen space and took the time to try to get to know Kalayla, even though she attacked him the first time they met. Most men would run from a situation like that. I admired him.
I think Rico was my favorite! He was so nice, and funny, too. He felt really “real” to me, despite being a minor character. I was hoping he and Maureen would get together!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I think Kalayla was my favorite character since her character was the most elaborate. Maybe it's also because I love the name. And I do identify with some of her struggles..
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

My favorite character was Lena. She had a rough life when she was raising her boys. Yet, she reached out to Kalayla and Maureen solely to invest in their lives and keep Kalayla from going down a dark path. She did this despite her own feelings of failure. I thought this was very brave of her. She did it all with a lot of sass and strength.
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

Lena was great for me, how she grew and her experience was very touching. Kalayla too brought light to the story
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by mbhuibregtse »

My favorite character was Lena. She was so solid from the start, caring for Kalayla. I loved how her sons popped in throughout the story, and then after growth with Kalayla, she reaches out to her own children. Lena is the epitome of a kind gesture can save a life and I think she saved Kalayla.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”