Favorite Character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Re: Favorite Character

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I liked Kalayla the most. She has that defiant nature to conquer what most people view as a disadvantaged life. Her ability to take her mother's shortcomings in stride without becoming a true delinquent was admirable.
Wangai Onyango
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wangai-onyango.html
Latest Review: A Life of Unintended Consequences by Malcolm Hart

Post by Wangai Onyango »

Well I haven't read more than ten percent of the book, but I've already laughed so much at Kalayla's antics. She is definitely my favourite character. Her portrayal is so relatable and heartwarming, too.
Wangai Onyango
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wangai-onyango.html
Latest Review: A Life of Unintended Consequences by Malcolm Hart

Post by Wangai Onyango »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:58 My favorite character is Maureen. She's a hard worker and always pulls her weight
I believe a favourite character should be chosen on more of a basis than that. Look at all characters and weigh them objectively.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

My favorite character would be Kalayla. I think even before reading the book, Kalayla was an anticipated character because of the title. And I loved how she interacted with the other women. She was funny and charming.
Heidadel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Heidadel »

My favourite is Kalayla. I fell in love with her adolescent mentality because it portrays the mindsets of many boys and girls at that age. Her character taught me that one is subject to change owing to the circumstances surrounding us.
Samantha Gayle
Favorite Book: The Great Divorce
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-gayle.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0BJLXMVMV

Post by Samantha Gayle »

My favorite character was actually Maureen. Her story felt very close to home for me, as I have a biracial background and know what my parents went through. I also love her almost childlike, whimsical personality, though I will admit it wasn't always the best personality for her daughter. But I loved her for her faults and her love.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

Kalayla was my favorite through most of it. I love her independent, feisty nature and the way she thinks and speaks. Like when she thought about giving the cats arsenic so she wouldn't have to take care of them, but then thinks about how much trouble that would be when Lena comes home and she'd have to take care of her; we know she's an animal lover and would never do that, and it's a funny way of looking at things.

At the end I really liked Lena and how she changed. Maybe because I am older I could relate to her and how sometimes she feels old but doesn't sound old in her thoughts, and I liked how she finally accepted Mattwo into her life and started something new. And I loved how she talked to Kalayla to help her figure things out!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

My favorite character was Lena. I could relate to her regrets about mistakes made in her past around her children. I loved her generosity and that she reached out to Kalayla and Maureen. I also enjoyed watching her grow over the course of the book. She found love again by opening up her heart to Kalayla and Maureen.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

ohlendorfbe wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 11:25 My favorite character is definitely Lena. Probably because I'm closer to her age and relate to some of her issues.
I felt the same.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I would have to say Lena. Her life was full of hardship, enough to make most people give up. For a while she did, but she turned herself around and made a life again.

Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I actually really disliked both Kalayla and Maureen. They both grew and changed over the course of the book, but Kalayla's continual smart mouth and nasty attitude rubbed me the wrong way, as did Maureen's constant worrying and word-vomit. :?
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I would say Lena. She was the kind of woman I hope to be when I grow older. Although her life was not easy and she made mistakes in her married years, she was doing everything she could to help others. She didn't just baby Kalayla or boss her around, she befriended her and treated her as important. Lena knew that giving her responsibility would help her more than just giving her ice cream. She also didn't pretend to be an expert when Maureen would come to her for advice. Lena was down to earth and a person who gave understanding and hope to those around her without being fake.
epingley896
Favorite Book: The One
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-epingley896.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by epingley896 »

I really loved Kalayla, but I also loved Lena and Maureen, though Kalayla held the most sway with me!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

My favorite character is Kalayla, too. She was just funny and interesting. Often, I forgot that she was just a little girl. My oh my.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I really enjoyed Kalayla's character. She was so young and sassy and full of life. I also really enjoyed following along with Lena's journey. There were the two most enjoyable characters for me. However, I also truly appreciated the character of Rico. He was strong and firm, but also very kind. It was good to read about a positive male role model.
peace starts with a smile...
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Maconstewart wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 20:54 My favorite would have to be Kalayla because she went through so much at such an early age. And, I so enjoyed my daughters and their friends during their teens. Even the ones thst have had hardships just seem to have a life force about them that just makes you feel more alive when around them.
I agree with you, considering her composure and maturity.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”