Interracial Marriage

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: Interracial Marriage

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

Interracial marriages should not be shunned. People should marry anyone they're in love with an if they are happy then the society should not stand in the way because of the difference in race or cultural backgrounds
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

In recent times interracial relationships and marriage is gaining more acceptance. personally i think Kalayla's painful experiences was way beyond racisms.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

I think interracial marriages are more accepted world wide than they were in the 1990s. I don't think Kalayla's dad being black brought alot of problems.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

Any stereotypes regarding interracial marriages are ill-conceived and past their time. Race should never be a determinant of who is with who.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

Interracial marriage is definitely acceptable nowadays, and the view on it has changed so much in the past decades! We see interracial marriage occur way much now than it did even a little while ago. It is a big positive step for the world. For me, interracial marriage is 100% acceptable, and there should be no reason for it not to be. I feel bad for what Maureen went through, and I am glad, that we see fewer of those instances today!
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

There should be no limit to marriage. I am glad that interracial marriage is no longer a pressing issue. Kayala's's life would have been better if the parents had this understanding.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

My+bookclub12 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 18:25 One of the biggest advantages to the interracial marriage is the ability to learn more about a new culture. When you only have relationships with people from your own culture, you don not expand your knowledge and are often less accepting of others. kalaya is doing hardworking.
It is also important to consider how children of the interracial couples are affected. The racial issues that hlkids deal with are no longer quite as traumatic, but some children of the interracial couples do find it hard to find their identity. They often do not feel accepted by either race.
I totally agree with this, yes integration marriages are more acceptable. But has anyone ever stopped to think what the children would go through in such situations. It does not always work out well for them.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I think interracial marriages happen much more often these days that it’s no longer looked at as strangely as in the past but in some places many people are still ignorant and act like Maureen’s parents. With Kaylayla I don’t think racism really affected her in any way in the book.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Marriage is out of love and not by compulsion, so the saying goes that Love knows no boundary. Maureen's marriage to a black caused a lot in Kalayla's life which wasn't good.
Saron GT 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saron-gt-1.html
Latest Review: Hemingway's Daughter by Christine M. Whitehead

Post by Saron GT 1 »

I think that being biracial is an enriching experience, although, like most things, it can bring challenges. One of these problems can be feeling isolated or 'different' when most of the people around them are from families of the same race.

Specifically in this book, I think that Nicholas chose for Kalayla to be biracial for a reason. Even though interracial relationships are widely accepted nowadays, it is a completely different reality for those who have an interracial relationship compared to those who don't. I think that being biracial opened up Kalayla's character to a whole new matrix of complexities and challenges in addition to having an absent father and socioeconomic problems.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

Interracial marriages and relationships are very much prevalent and accepted in the society now. Secondly it didn't affect Kalayla much, though it had small effect.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

Interracial marriages and relationships is very much prevalent and accepted today in our society. Nowadays, we see many whites get married to blacks. It didn't affect the book much, though it had little effect on the book.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I don't understand why would some consider interracial marriage unacceptable. For me, it's completely normal and it's been happening all over the world since the dawn of time.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Interracial marriage is increasing. It means acceptable. And nothing hinders the two people even if it's not the same race if love is the foundation. Like Kalayla, in the end, she was accepted by her father's side.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

Because of their background, interracial marriages appear to be the most difficult, but if the two couples decide to overlook any obstacles, it will be simple for them.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”