Interracial Marriage

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Interracial Marriage

Post by Rizki Pradana »

It's definitely acceptable. Especially if their parent was in love with each other. It's just some people were racist about the color of your skin that makes things looking bad.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
Of course it's acceptable and should even be encouraged. There will always be close-minded people that will be awful, but I think interracial marriages are actually a beautiful thing.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

I feel interracial marriages are fine and right. The tendency to go against such marriages have decreased drastically, yet there are some rough patches between the communities. I have not seen or witnessed cases like Kalayla and her parents faced, but I do hear a lot of happenings via the internet and news.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html

Post by jimmy02 »

I'm currently reading through a biological science course at the university level, and we have a genetics paper. Let me answer this question from a biological POV. The study of genetics and evolution has taught us that a varied gene pool (consisting of lots of different genes) has a far better chance of withstanding adverse conditions. That's what my education teaches me. Personally, I'm in support of interracial marriages as well. According to me, races are nothing but physical nuances. At our core, we belong to one race and that is humanity. In context of Kalayla, it was refreshing to see Maureen stand up against her family for the love of her life, Jamaal even though he was of a different race.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html

Post by Themmie10 »

Interracial marriage is very acceptable these days, but there are still a few cultures that are against interracial marriage. I think in a community where interracial marriage is shunned, it might affect the kids. Take for example, when Jamal and Maureen were looking for apartments, the way they were shunned by people was mortifying.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Interracial Marriage should not be opposed. Personally, interracial marriage is acceptable. I don't see anything wrong with it. Race divides people and people should be rather united. Opposing interracial marriage is an act of discrimination and racism. If interracial marriage in the book was allowed, Kalayla's life could have been different. But, with this kind of conflict in the book discussed, I think the author made a superb job of showing the readers how cruel the world can be when racism is an issue.
JoJoLarry07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JoJoLarry07 »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
Interracial marriage is quite a topic in today's society though not as obvious as it used to be back in the days, thanks to innovation. Although it is being accepted no doubt, there are still families that find it difficult to embrace a foreign culture especially when it is totally contrary to what they represent. Others see it as a medium through which unwanted influence may set in. Whereas there are those that that welcome it as a way of getting acquainted and fond of the culture of the other race.
On a normal basis, kalayla's biracial status could have been of great advantage to her. Born into two different languages and two different ways of life, such knowledge should have helped her grow but quite unfortunately, the interracial marriage of her parents deprived her of the presence and love of and from family.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

I think interracial marriages are a common thing now even though families can be reluctant to accept on both sides. I don't see why it should not be acceptable. After all we are all human. I doubt it affected Kalayla as much since she was just a toddler. What affected her more was lack of guidance from a guardian.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

Interracial marriages are still unacceptable for some, even we are in the twenty-first century, there are still hidden bombs of racist attitudes; attitudes just like Maureen's mother.
And for your second question, If the marriage is worth fighting and thrown to hardship, I would accept it. And my kids, as Kayla did, could accept that challenge as a blessing. The big question is; do our love is worth this sacrifice?
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

Interracial marriages should never be an issue, but the world is made up of many kinds and there are those who believe otherwise. I think ultimately it did contribute to Kalayla's experiences with other people.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Interracial marriage is acceptable, it's another way of getting to know people from other race and culture. Though there are places in the world where biracial kids have problems dealing with their mates in school but Kalayla doesn't seem to have issues being biracial
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

I think the is no difficulty the only discrepancy is the skin color so it is acceptable and I don't think it contributed to Kalayla's pain because she adored existing biracial.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I support interracial marriages, and I believe that everyone should do it without judgment. It is important for us to see beyond the skin color and love a person for his character and convictions. I think discrimination and racism caused Kalayla pain and vulnerability. She was hurt by the rejection from her mother's parents, who did not want to meet their niece just because their daughter married a black man.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

I think it is acceptable and necessary. It's the only way that the world can overcome racism. It used to be a taboo but because of many brave people, people realized that it's not a big deal. It is a chance for different races to get know and understand each other.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Concerning racial matters, I think Kalayla didn't face much of it. In my opinion, Kalayla's father is the one who suffered a lot. I do not support racism at all. It leads to a lot of trauma and suffering. I think it was part of the factors that contributed to Kalayla's unstable life.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”