Interracial Marriage

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Interracial Marriage

Post by _claudi_ »

I think the world has come a long way towards accepting inter-racial marriages. So many factors were responsible for Kalayla's troubles but I think being bi-racial could have been one of them also.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
Interracial marriages are acceptable nowadays and I think interracial couples make cute babies(am getting out of topic there though). My point is, those marriages are a great way of interaction between different cultures. I agree that some communities might be opposed to the idea of interracial marriages but most people are not against it. About Kalayla's painful experiences, I think economic problems contributed more.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
Yes in this day and age, interracial marriages are acceptable in the society. Nevertheless it also depends on individual acceptance, and I believe it contributed to Kalaya's painful experiences
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Interracial marriages are very much acceptable in this day and age and modern society is all the better for it. As for Kalayla, I think her socio-economic standing, among other things, had a much bigger role to play in the hardships she suffered.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Samana95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samana95.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Samana95 »

Interracial marriage is acceptable, but not everyone's view on this type of relationship is the same. Some still detest such relationships.
Everyone is free to marry who they want regardless of ethnicity.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

It is totally acceptable and great. I t was seen as bad back in the days because people wanted to keep their culture but I think that doesn't matter that much. What matters is that you have a nice family that you love, whether it be from the same race or not. I don't think the hardships of Kalayla were because of the fact that she was biracial though.
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

Given many circumstances, Kalayla could have experienced the same difficulties coming from a single race. Being biracial does not always contribute to a hard life, especially in today's world.
Asunshine
Currently Reading: Diary of a Wimpy Kid :The Ugly Truth
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunshine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Asunshine »

Interracial relationships are becoming more and more acceptable in today's society. Maureen tries her best to work provide, though it's difficult. I think Kalayla's painful experience is not mainly being biracial but also life hardship she went through by being raised by a single mother.
Asunshine
Currently Reading: Diary of a Wimpy Kid :The Ugly Truth
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunshine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Asunshine »

Interracial relationships are becoming more and more acceptable in today's society. Maureen tries her best to work provide, though it's difficult. I think Kalayla's painful experience is not mainly being biracial but also life hardship she went through by being raised by a single mother.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I am fully in support of interracial marriages as long as rationality is applied. Something will always affect people. It is generally acceptable, but people around these parts are still a bit skeptical.
KipMilly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipmilly3.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KipMilly3 »

Interracial marriages are common and highly acceptable in our world today. To some extend, Kalalya's predicament is as the result of being biracial. Unfortunately, her situation is synonymous to what happens in our communities. Although interracial marriages are allowed, there are still cases of discrimination and I'll treatment.
LauraLambton
Currently Reading: Small Island
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauralambton.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by LauraLambton »

There is no question of doubt that it is acceptable. Unfortunately, the issue comes when faced with narrow-minded people and this is when lives can be turned upside-down. It is a sad state of affairs when we have to consider other's opinions vs love.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Yes, biracial marriage is accepted in our world today because people are more entitled and knowledgeable. And personally, I think personality and love matter more than race or ethnicity. On Kalayla's painful experience, I think it plays a part but beyond that, the absence of his father plays a major part.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

One of the main takeaways of Kalayla for me is that racists are the ones that cause suffering and insecurities, rather than actions like interracial marriage. Jamal and Maureen are shown as a compassionate, loving couple in Maureen's flashbacks, and they clearly understand and support one another. Compare that to Joey and Lena's same-race marriage which was full of trauma and violence and you can see the clear message that interracial marriage in itself is not the problem. Maureen's pain (and subsequently Kalayla's) came from the actions of her racist family, not from her healthy marriage.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

Interracial marriages are acceptable. The world has evolved now, but some few people refuse to see this. Those are the few people causing pain to others based on race. This can cause insecurities mostly to children born to this kind of marriages.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”