Stereotypes & Prejudice

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Stereotypes & Prejudice

Post by Rizki Pradana »

In my opinion, in this book, there are prejudices against biracial families because Maureen's family doesn't want to acknowledge Maureen after she married a black man.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Kalayla suffered greatly in school as a result of stereotyping, as she had no friends and was subjected to numerous racially insensitive comments. Another example of stereotyping is when Maureen's father brought Keiran to learn martial arts because he assumed, based on appearance and stature, he would be a softie, a pushover. It depicted Maureen's parents as being in the business of stereotyping.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I saw a prejudice concerning the biracial couple. This prevented Mauren from getting the family support she really needed when she lost her husband and it prevented her families from forming a bond that is needed among families.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 05:12 This book deals with many important and relevant subjects; motherhood, race, friendships, found families, sexuality, abuse, grief, regret, interracial marriage, guilt. Stereotypes, however, can influence our attitudes and behavior in ways that we are unconscious of. We see it in all of these three families. Stereotypes can cause deep harm even if nobody actively “intends” that harm. In order to expose stereotypes and to explore how they shape our interactions with others despite our best intentions, we first have to acknowledge their existence. There is also the idea of implicit bias; stereotypes or biases against groups of people that may be in our heads even though we do not want them to be.

What are some of the stereotypes or prejustice that you noticed within those subjects in this book? How do you think author dealt with them?
I think the major stereotype was in the issue of racism. The fact that Maureen's parents didn't even try to get to know Jamal as a person, but instead made their judgements of him based on his skin colour was one. Also, the landlords who refused to rent houses Jamal and Maureen again just because of Jamal's skin colour were major examples of such stereotypes.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

In the book, I witnessed the common prejudice and stereotyping based on colour. In some instances, Kalayla has also stereotyped Lena by calling her old woman many times, but Lena never minded it. With time, these elements are neutralizing, yet exists.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

The most glaring prejudice I noticed was the blatantly racist mindset of Maureen's family. They disowned and caused mental trauma to their own daughter for simply marrying her love, who happened to be of a different race. The author has subtly highlighted how this issue is still prevalent in the 21st century.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

The stereotypes I noticed was race where black people were being discriminated by the white ones. There was a scene in the book where such race discrimination divides lovers, friends, and family. It's a beautiful book that discusses acceptance of whatever race one originated. I've read this book and it's a very good one.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

You listed all the stereotypes listed. The stereotyping characters are here in this book that was great of the author set the reality, regarding this.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I think by Maureen's parents being racist, they missed the chance of being with their daughter and granddaughter. Kalayla would have brought a lot of joy to their lives. Although she did this in the end.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 05:12 This book deals with many important and relevant subjects; motherhood, race, friendships, found families, sexuality, abuse, grief, regret, interracial marriage, guilt. Stereotypes, however, can influence our attitudes and behavior in ways that we are unconscious of. We see it in all of these three families. Stereotypes can cause deep harm even if nobody actively “intends” that harm. In order to expose stereotypes and to explore how they shape our interactions with others despite our best intentions, we first have to acknowledge their existence. There is also the idea of implicit bias; stereotypes or biases against groups of people that may be in our heads even though we do not want them to be.

What are some of the stereotypes or prejustice that you noticed within those subjects in this book? How do you think author dealt with them?
The stereotype that interracial marriages are not natural and should not be encouraged. The stereotype that African people are not human (the kids who traumatized Clarence treated him like something less than a human being) the stereotype that family is strictly blood related. Lena who shares no blood relation to Kalayla and Maureen becomes family to them.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:57
Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 09:34 To my mind, portraying stereotypes and social stigmas is a very difficult task and it could get a lot of backlash. People tend to get offended when being calle out on certain patterns of behaviours that stem from prejudice or stigmas. I think that if the author managed to portray stereotypes and somehow expose them it deserves a lot of credit because it is not something easy to do.
A good example that shows how Jeannie reveals prejudice is the moment where Kalayla, an 11-year-old girl, is paid a few dollars to watch over laundry at the Clean Duds Laundromat. She's too young for the job but poor enough to qualify. I'd categorize it as a form of Social class stereotyping.
very excellent observation. I agree with you on this one.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

There are a lot of examples of stereotyping and prejudice in Kalayla. For instance, the opposition against Maureen and jamals marriage. The author did a wonderful job highlighting alot of others.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

I noticed stereotypes against biracial marriage as was the case with Jamal's and Miriam's marriage.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

racism was a big topic in Kalayla, and I believe that the author portrayed it very stereotypically. I myself have seen and heard a lot about marriage between two races back in the days, was very wrong (ofc, it is not anymore). Here the author portrayed the same problem very well, and in a way that was very stereotypical.
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Racism which was the main stereotyping in this book could extend to reality. Those who are guilty of it should desist.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”