What do you think about the title of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Re: What do you think about the title of the book?

Post by car-mbz »

Kalayla may be the youngest but all the characters story revolve around her so I think the title is deserving.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I absolutely love the title of the book. And I think it is appropriate because Kalayla was the center of the story and tied all three of them together.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I had the same thought. I don't know what I'd rename it and it works, but felt like something might be more fitting.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Samantha Gayle wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 18:38 I think Kalayla is a beautiful and unique name, so it is definitely eye catching to a reader. I also think she is the bridge between the three characters, so I am happy with the choice of the novel’s name.
I thought so too. We won't meet other characters in the last half part of the story if it's not for Kalayla.
I like the title, and it's my first time to know someone with that name. Many telenovelas have first names in the title, so I think it's appropriate. I'd skip the book if the title sounds cliche.
When I pick a book, I judge by its title instead of its cover.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Since it was Kalayla who largely influenced the lives of the other 2 women, I think the title is appropriate. It was Kalayla who changed Lena's life later by reminding her of her twins, bringing out her protective side, made her start wearing colors again. Also, it was because of Kalayla that Maureen received closure and got back with her family.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

The book's title is apt. Kalayla is the glue that brings all the characters together, and she is quite a strong character herself. Also, Maureen or Lena as book titles would not really be as catchy, according to me.
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Mys_Trea wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 13:26 The book's title is apt. Kalayla is the glue that brings all the characters together, and she is quite a strong character herself. Also, Maureen or Lena as book titles would not really be as catchy, according to me.
Kalayla definitely sounds better compared to the other two names for the book title. If not for that, then I would have preferred if the title was something completely different and not a person's name.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

For me, Kalayla was the perfect title for the book. I loved that girl Kalayla. She was such a unique and independent girl I have never heard of. Kind of, I miss all the characters from the book.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I think it's suitable. Though the focus is on all 3 characters, Kalayla is the thing that unites them all. Despite dealing with their own individual problems, Lena and Maureen are both constantly thinking about, and filtering their decisions through what they think will be best for Kalayla. Her wellbeing is consistently placed at the centre of the story as the most important and significant factor
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I think Kalayla is firstly such a beautiful name and it's unique. I really don't think that it's not a valid enough title. Kalayla is core of the book and a channel between Maureen and Lena, two mothers who are still struggling and through Kalayla they connect and learn from each other. She's the centre.
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Without Kalayla the story wouldn't be. She's the link between Lena and Maureen, and most of the story does revolve around her. The name is unique and not easy to forget. It is perfect.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

Lena was attracted to Maureen through Kalayla and she is the one that brought them all together therefore, it makes sense that the title was given in Kalayla's favour.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

The title is appropriate and simple and I like that. I don't see how it could get a better title than the one the author gave it. Even though the author did tell the story of two other women. Kaylayla was the dominant character in the book. She was either in or spoken about in every other page in the book. So the title seem just right.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I think the name is apt because Kalayla is the main element of the story binding the three women. The name is unique and fascinating. The only thing I disliked is that the name doesn't say anything about Lena who is my favourite character. I'm biased here and I want Lena to have the spotlight. :roll:
Oyster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyster.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Oyster »

Despite the fact that the story was about three women and their lives, Kalayla was the center of it all. The two other women crossed paths because of her.

Because elf her, we got to hear Lena and Maureen's story. So she is the star of the book and I think that it was appropriately titled

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”