What do you think about the title of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Re: What do you think about the title of the book?

Post by Shivali Y »

'Kalayla' is a beautiful name, and an apt title. Although the story is told through three characters, there's no denying that without Kalayla there wouldn't be a story at all. Especially the character development of Lena was hinged on Kalayla's attitude. I think the title is fitting for the book.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

I think most of the development any character had was Kalayla's. It was huge to go from a smartmouth rebel to a composed, understanding individual. Also, the events that happened affected her the most and it was innocently portrayed so the title actually makes sense. It somehow mirrors with the book's innocence.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

I think the title of the book is very appropriate and I can not find a better appropriate title. Kalayla is the core of the story and is the common side of all the characters in the novel
J Edwards
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

When I first read the title, Kalayla, I thought the book was a children's book. Though it might appear somehow misleading, I liked how catchy it sounds.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

In my opinion, Kalayla was the appropriate title for the novel. Kalayla was my favorite character in the book. She was the one who brought together all the characters. Also, Kalayla is a unique and catchy name.
19blueofficial
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:25
AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:18
Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:13

"Family ties" is a good alternative, but it will cut down the uniqueness of the book which is given by the current title
Yeah, I agree with you. Besides, I doubt 'Family Ties' would encompass all the elements of this book.
You are correct. The book covers a lot of area which includes family matters as well as matters outside the family. So such a title will narrow down the actual scope of the book
Yeah that's right but Family Ties just doesn't ring the bell. I think Kalayla is more eye-catching and marketable. Besides, she is the one that brought Lena and Maurer. together due to how the old lady noticed her a lot and her wanting to talk to the mother. And how she always ran to Lena for cookies. Kalayla is perfect!
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Catie139 wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 09:16 Since Kalayla is really the one who tied all three women together, I think it is appropriate that it would be her name for a title.

I agree with this. I feel the title is appropriate because she was the connecting link between Lena and Maureen, and a lot of events revolved around her or were influenced by things she did.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

Kalayla was the name of the character that makes the three women tied between each other. Furthermore, Kalayla was a beautiful name so it's appropriate.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

The title seems partial to how the storyline was about but I still think the title should not be changed. "Kalayla" is a unique name which can draw readers attention to the book.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I'd say Kalayla is a perfect title for the book. Because although there are three main personalities, Kalayla is the most dominant and almost everything revolved around her. Lena and Maureen might have never known each other if Kalayla wasn't in the picture. Maureen and her family might have never gotten a second chance if there was no Kalayla. Ricco and Maureen might have never met without kalayla. So I'd say Kalayla is the perfect title.
Ebiuwa Egbon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebiuwa-egbon.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Ebiuwa Egbon »

I think that the title "Kaylala" is very fine. It is a unique name and Kaylala's voice was way louder than Lena's voice and Maureen's voice.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 07:16 The story is woven around three female characters and their lives. Yet, the book is named by the name of the youngest protagonist, Kalayla.

Why is that? Is it appropriate? Do you have any suggestions for alternative titles?
I actually thought about this when reading the book. I think the name is a bit misleading. When I first started reading, I thought the story would be told mainly from Kalayla's point of view, and it would follow her story from childhood to adulthood with only her narrating it. So when the book didn't take this turn, it was a bit surprising. I honestly don't know what the author should have called it but I do think it should have been given another name.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

The book revolved around three main characters ,including Maureen and Lena. But what connected them was Kalayla. So I feel the name of the book is apt. Yet, any other relatable book name would have been nice as well.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Kalayla is the protagonist of the book as she's the pivot. It was because of her that Maureen and Lena got together. So, I think it is fitting that the book has been named after her.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

The book is named Kalayla because she made three people meet without her they wouldn't be three they would be two Kalayla and her mother. Is appropriate. Suggestions for alternative titles, I will name it family.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”