Reconciliation

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Reconciliation

Post by mbhuibregtse »

I believe Jamal's death is very significant, and the story would be much different. Maureen and Lena have a bond over being both widows, and this is throughout the whole story. I think the entire character of Clarence would be changed with Jamal living. A lot of characters had loss that drove their behavior in the book.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Jamal is not mentioned much in the story. However, he seemed to be the type that would have tried to reconcile with his wife's family. Kalayla would not be as difficult if her father was still alive. I think his death compounded her problem.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think if Jamal didn't die, Maureen's parentr couldn't have forgiven her. Their relationship wouldn't have been good.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think that if Jamal would have been alive, things would have turned out differently. Kalayla would not have to work because Jalal would provide what she needs. As a result, she would never have met her grandfather and the reconciliation would not have taken place.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Catie139 wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 09:56 Kalayla's issues were definitely impacted by racism, but also by the fact that her father had died. How do you think the story would have been different had Jamal lived? Could reconciliation between the family have happened earlier?
I think Jamal could've significantly influenced their family's life, especially Kalayla's. Jamal's presence would've meant more attention given to Kalayla since Maureen won't be alone in parenting. His existence will also likely improve their family's poor condition. His role as husband and father are very vital and impactful in many ways. In terms of the reconciliation, although Jamal had passionately showed his disagreement to Maureen's lying, I think he wanted Kalayla to hear the truth from Maureen so he didn't told it himself. But I still think reconciliation would've happened earlier with Jamal's insistence and support to Maureen.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

This is a tough but wonderful question. I think that Jamal would have added some great insight to the story, and maybe he would have been able to disrupt some of the chaos happening in the story (namely with Uncle Clarance creeping on his wife). At the same time, there would have been something lost to the significance of Maureen going it alone. She had to grow on her own and make her own realizations. In terms of reconnecting with her family, I know that Mr. O said that he'd like to believe that he'd still extend an olive branch if Jamal were still alive, but it's doubtful. After all those years of placating his racist wife, he had also made a stand against Jamal and Maureen with his silence. Reconnecting with his daughter was paramount for recovery, but had he had to talk to Jamal too, I think there would have been less chance of Mr. O inviting Kalayla to ice cream, or Maureen's mother changing her mind near the end.
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think Kalayla was the one that brought them together, but it was a chain of events that led to her being there when Maureen's father arrives. Maybe if Jamal was alive they wouldn't have met, and the family would have continued to live like Maureen didn't exist.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I don't think the situation with Maureen's family would have been changed much by Jamal being alive, if anything, Maureen would likely have been much more self-sufficient and comfortable with her life and may have been less open to reconnecting with them. Jamal, Maureen and Kalayla most likely would have had much more enjoyable lives though, even if this might mean they never end up crossing paths with Lena
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

I think Jamal wouldn't have any influence on this. The reconciliation would have happened in its own time. Even though he wanted to pressure Maureen to tell Kalayla the truth, the reconciliation was meant to happen in its own time
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Kalayla's life would have been different, for sure. From what I gathered, it was Jamal who took care of Kalayla while Maureen took care of her art. After Jamal's death, Kalayla has had to grow up fast and look out for herself because Maureen still doesn't know half of what's going on with her. As for reconciliation with Maureen's family, I don't think that would have happened sooner. I mean, they didn't even help Maureen and Kalayla after they lost Jamal and really needed their help.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Catie139 wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 09:56 Kalayla's issues were definitely impacted by racism, but also by the fact that her father had died. How do you think the story would have been different had Jamal lived? Could reconciliation between the family have happened earlier?
Hmm.. If Jamal was still alive then they'd be living fine and they would have never met Lena. And maybe if they hadn't met Lena she wouldn't have reconciled with her sons. And maybe they wouldn't have met Rico and Kalayla wouldn't have worked in the gym where she met her cousin. Its all complicated so I'm not totally show. But destiny has a way of playing tricks.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I think that Maureen's parents would still be stuck on their racist views if Jamal was alive. I believe their sympathy for Maureen after Jamal's death made it easier for them to reconcile. In my opinion, Jamal's death played a major part in Maureen getting reconnected with her family.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

Because Kalayla was a smart child, I think the reconciliation will definitely happen sooner if her father was still alive. Furthermore, Kalayla was really loved her father.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

This is a good question. To be honest, I don't think the family would have reconciled if Jamal was alive, and even Maureen's father didn't give a straight answer when he was asked. And then adding the fact that Maureen went to see her mother immediately after Jamal died and her mother still rejected her, so I don't think the reconciliation should have happened earlier.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

As per the story, Maureen's Father was holding himself because of her wife. And also Jamal was sure that they won't accept Maureen anytime soon. So I don't think there was any chance of reconciliation if Jamal would be alive.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”