A Second Chance

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: A Second Chance

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I don't think Lena sees Kalayla as a second chance because she was just worried about Kalayla at the beginning and soon learn about her mother who has two jobs and simply couldn't pay attention to her child, which resulted in Lena giving Kalayla simple jobs for her and made Kalayla not wandering around the streets, which could be dangerous on its own.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

It is indeed possible she saw it as a second chance but I think it is her motherly instinct that is working to help a girl from getting herself in trouble. Lena remembers her sons and wished she could have done more to help them so I think she was trying to help the girl that keeps reminding her of her sons.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I think she did see it as a second chance. A second chance to make sure the mistakes she made as a mother weren't repeated in Kalayla, and in doing so, she was able to heal from the regret and guilt she'd been carrying with her.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

Lena suffered a lot in her life. She regained her hope after seeing Kalayla, which motivated her to take the second chance. And she eventually succeeded in it.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

Lena suffered a lot in her life. She regained her hope after seeing Kalayla, which motivated her to take the second chance. And she eventually succeeded in it.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Yes she does see it as a second chance because Kalayla even called her grandmother and that made Lena happy so I agree.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:23 Lena immediately takes an interest in Kalayla because she reminds her of her children. It is clear how much Lena misses her sons due to how she dresses in black and has photos of them all around her home. Do you think that Lena sees Kalayla as a second chance to love and care for a child?
Yes. I agree with you. Lena does want to take Kalayla under her wing and try her hand at parenting again. But once she gets to know Maureen, and see for herself what the mother-daughter duo are going through, she wants to be around them and help them back up. Such interactions are what make this novel a magnificent work of fiction!
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

Yes, it is. she is considering and acting as the second chance.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

She definitely sees it as a second chance, and she clearly says that in the book. She saw how Kalayla reassembled her twins when they were younger. Since Maureen neglected her duty as a mother, she felt the need to guide them both.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

I don't think Lena sees it a second chance, she just picked an unusual interest in Kalayla and tried to help her mom in avoiding the same mistakes she made with her children. I think fate brought them together
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Yes, she sees Kalayla as a second chance to love and care for a child, my knowledge of examining the story those two got jointly pretty well Lena started to understand Kalayla well and what she likes and dislikes, Sometimes Lena she was talking to Kalayla like she's a teenager. Kalayla called Lena's grandmother I almost sobbed then Lena started to change in and out she found a new darling and altered her Black dress up.
Andrada Madalina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I consider that Lena sees the memory of her sons in Kalayla from their first meetings when the little girl was roaming around the city. I think Lena compared Kalayla's stubbornness to her children's temper that she always had to control and saw the meeting with the girl as an opportunity for emotional healing.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I think the way Lena treats Kalayla is just a way for her to feel better about herself. She indeed misses them, but she's not trying to make up for what she didn't do rather she's trying to appease herself.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:23 Lena immediately takes an interest in Kalayla because she reminds her of her children. It is clear how much Lena misses her sons due to how she dresses in black and has photos of them all around her home. Do you think that Lena sees Kalayla as a second chance to love and care for a child?
Yes. In a sense. A second chance to help a child and this time from experience. But for her, it's not just a second chance but also a chance to help someone so they don't wind up like she did.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

I do think Lena sees an opportunity to right the wrongs she made with her children through Kalayla given the way she cares for her.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”