A Second Chance

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Re: A Second Chance

Post by Gabby S14 »

Lena was aware of the similarities between Kalayla and her boys, but I don't think she was conscious of the "second chance" aspect of helping Kalayla right off the bat. It seemed to me to start off as a "well, someone has to lend a hand before something bad happens" kind of deal. Lena was trying to be a good neighbor and was spurred by her maternal worries for the girl. However, as they got to know each other better, Lena started to care more deeply for Kalayla and her mother. As circumstances evolved, Lena started to realize that something was changing inside her; she started wearing some color. So, her redemption or second chance came as a surprise but a welcome one.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I think it is more likely that Lena is giving the chance for Maureen to do better as a parent.
As for Lena, she just doesn't want to witness her failures in another family setup, so she sees it as an opportunity to be Maureen's guide.
Throughout the story, I see how Lena mediates in the reconciliation between Maureen and Kalayla.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Yes, she definitely does. She has constantly mentioned that she couldn't do certain things for her kids, but maybe she could do those for Kalayla.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Yes, I think she does. When she had just met Kalayla, she saw the reflection of her children in her. It all started with just general concern for a child heading towards a wrong path in life and later on, it turned into love for a precious soul that had seen too many disasters at such a young age. She found a second chance to accomplish, what she thinks she had failed to do for her children.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I don't think so. A mother is always worried and caring for every child. Kalayla used to roam on the streets, and she didn't have any friends, so she was anxious for her. However, Lena had regrets for not being able to raise her kids the way she wanted. She didn't want to repeat the same mistake. Therefore, she was extra cautious for Kalayla.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Maybe not in the eyes of Lena herself, but certainly in a narrative sense it's an opportunity for her to help in the development of a child while no longer having the poisonous influence of Joey hanging over her
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

She definitely saw Kalayla as a new start, where she could right all her wrongs and not repeat the mistakes she once committed. Those mistakes gnaw at her so bad and so painfully that she makes setting Kalayla on the right path her only objective.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I'm not sure if Lena recognised her opportunity to help Kalayla as a second chance. I think it has more to do with how Kalayla reminded her of her boys, and how she felt like Maureen needed all the help she could get. Lena knew and regretted the wrong she had done to her boys and wanted to make sure Maureen didn't make any of the same mistakes.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I think at first Lena helped Kalayla because someone had to. Kalayla had too much time on her hands, so Lena thought of constructive activities to involve her in - because she was a "disaster waiting to happen." Later she thought she could do for Kalayla what she couldn't do for her sons.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I do think so. I don't think she would have done the same thing if she still had her boys and a lovely family. Although she is a good person and very tolerant, I think there are some character she would not have tolerated from Kaylayla if she had a lovely family with her boys. In conclusion, I think going through what she did and enduring the death of her sons taught her a lot and made her into who she is, a selfless and loving person.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I think she definitely does. We see it in the way she interacts with Kalayla. She sees her own children in that one little girl. She tries to treat Kalayla the way she wished she had treated her boys
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

Yes, I think that Lena considered it to be a second chance. She wanted to implement all the lessons she learned during her past to ensure a better future for Kalayla. Their interaction and bond become a source of light for both Lena and Kalayla.
Oyster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyster.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Oyster »

Most definitely. She did not get 'motherhood' right the first time and due to her confusion of what to do she lost her kids. Kalayla was a second chance to do right by herself and her kids
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Second chances only come to the deserving. When you look at the personality of the character Lena, you can clearly see that she deserved reliving her motherhood that was taken away from her.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Yeah. I think she sees Kalayla just like she saw her little boys while they were still alive. She saw Kalayla as someone who needed guidance and to correct her mistakes she had made in the past as a mother.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”