Surrogate Family?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Surrogate Family?

Post by jimmy02 »

Sometimes, blood relations aren't everything. Even though they are not genetically related, the bond between Lena, Maureen and the one who got them both together, Kalayla is very strong. Everyone amongst them found a way to help the others after rising above their own griefs. The descriptions of these bonds and the switching of the POVs are what made Kalayla a memorable read.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

no! all get equal. This is not a job or a deal. Lena gets satisfaction for all kindness and relations she made and Kalayla and Maureen get the visible benefits. It is a Win-Win-Equal case here.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I also saw the three women as a surrogate family. I think they involuntarily became aware of the benefits of their relationship. Taking care of Kalayla and helping Maureen, Lena healed her past traumas regarding her marriage and sons and gave her a chance for redemption. Maureen saw Lena as the maternal figure she really needed, especially since she was a single mother coping with two jobs. Lena replaced the role of a grandmother for the little girl, and I consider that Kalayla enjoyed her attention and love.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Kelyn wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 20:48 What do you think about the psychological/sociological bonds that form between the three main characters? To me, despite the character's differing backgrounds, the relationships gradually formed into a type "surrogate" immediate family:

Lena - (surrogate) mother/ grand-mother

Maureen - Lena's (surrogate) daughter/ Kalayla's mother

Kalayla - Maureen's daughter/ Lena's (surrogate) grand-daughter

In your opinion, how did this satisfy the needs of each character? Did one character get more out of the relationship than the others? :eusa-think:
I think it worked out well for all of them. Families are not always blood related. Kalayla needed stability. And Lena helped to give that stability and protection to her and her mother. Maureen too benefited from a mother figure and co-parent to Kalayla because of Lena's presence in their lives. Finally, Lena benefitted a great deal from having Maureen and Kalayla in her life. She got a chance to reflect on her own family and make things right. The two also brought light in to her life and she was able to finally start living again. I think it was a win win for everyone.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Each character received exactly what they needed from the relationship. There's no measure for the love these three characters have for each other, the love was genuine and they all needed it
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Lena got a child she could substitute for her own, Maureen got a mother, and Kalayla got a grandmother she never had. For them, this was a temporary perfect family. It didn't matter if it was a surrogate to them, what mattered is they could be there for one another.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I believe lal three figures benefited from the relationship. Lena got a daughter and granddaughter in maureen and kalayla. Maureen recieved some moral support and opinions about life from lena and kalayla was surrounded by these two wonderful women who are an inspiration
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I really did not find anything in the relationships featured in this book. I just felt everything was an act of love and kindness for the other. I I don't see any need trying to quantify it.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

I dont think one person got more in the relationship. Their relationship had trust, care and love in equal measure.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

I found it extremely fascinating how all three of them somehow found their way to each other and created such a strong unbreakable bond, despite Lena not being blood-related to Maureen or kalayla. Each one of the characters benefitted so much from the relationships, and all three of them helped each other to become stronger, face their past, and grow as characters, which I find truly amazing!
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

This was what made the book fascinating. Three women come together to fill up the gap lacking within them. It was a ritualistic relationship everyone benefited from it.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

This was what made the book fascinating. Three women come together to fill up the gap lacking within them. It was a ritualistic relationship everyone benefited from it.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

No one got more than the other in the relationship. It fulfilled all their needs equally. It’s beautiful when families come from no blood relation.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I believe their relationship was symbiotic, everyone got what they needed. No one lost something as a result of this relationship. They all turned out better.
Alexandria Sarai Mitchell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandria-sarai-mitchell.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alexandria Sarai Mitchell »

This dynamic setup really showed that indeed, it does take a village to raise a child. Even Maureen herself needed some raising and a lot of help, so I'm glad she had Lena. You do not need to be blood relatives to be a family, you just need love. I loved the bonds they all shared, especially Kalayla and Lena.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”