Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Post by Unique Ego »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:15 I am strong believer in found families. I am not sure how we grade what is stronger. But you know how you love some of your family members but don't like them sometimes, on the other hand, friends you chose you love and like. I don't know is that just me. I hope you understand my point.
You're not alone. I understand you perfectly. Our families were chosen for us, but we chose our friends ourselves. That's probably why many times, the love for family can feel more like its out of a sense of duty and responsibility. But many times, with genuine friends I've seen people ready to move the world for each other.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:23
anoushka_thakur wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 07:00 Sometimes relations built by humans flourish far better than blood relations. It all depends on our experiences and how we connect to other people in order to build that relation with them, just like in this book.Some experiences bind us more closely. So its safe to say that man made relations are stronger.
I dissent with your statement. Yes, circumstances may propagate relationships to grow stronger between strangers, but those related by blood have a unique bond that engraved in love.
I don't really agree with you here. Of course, there are families that genuinely love each other deeply, but friendship is even deeper. I get that blood relationship is unique in its own way, but the only way it trumps found families is if the members actually like and love each other and blood alone can't give that. I've seen countless family members that'll do anything to kill each other. The conclusion is this: found families are more genuine in their love, but when blood relations add genuine love to their blood connection, they'll blow any other relationship out of the water.
Susanna83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanna83.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Susanna83 »

I think there are good and bad things in both bonds. End of these relationships : Free will bonds can end without an explanation, or just fade away. Blood bonds... Not so easy to cut, and with some relatives also very hard to deal with. You can say goodbye to blood bond, but is it ever really over?
Which bond and conflicts hurt you more?
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

I think that both have their pros and cons. A friend can be referred to as family, and holds more trust because it is a deliberate choice on both parties. Blood relations are close as well but the fallout is a bit more drastic, especially if you see them everyday. It really depends on a plethora of experiences and reasons to determine which is stronger.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I think they can be, but they aren't always. In blood relationships and chosen relationships, the same rules apply. Choices that damage a relationship do so whether or not they are made by your sister or your friend. Choices that edify a relationship work the same way. In this story, there were examples of both. Lotta's blood family stuck together. Lena formed a strong chosen relationship with Maureen and Kalayla, despite issues within each of their own families.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I think this really depends on if you use your free will to choose your blood relations. I've fostered just as strong, meaningful relationships with my friends as I have with my younger sister, but I also made a point of staying involved and being a part of the life that happened with her. With some of my older siblings, because of the age gap, I didn't make that effort and that definitely reflects in my relationships with them. So, I do think it all comes down to your choice moreso than whether you are related to someone by blood.
Nduthu43
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nduthu43.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nduthu43 »

Man made relations can be stronger than blood relations. I have seen families destroy one another over property and greed! While others may play a similar role in one's life, it is quite deep coming from family. So man made relations sometimes stand stronger.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I think it all depends. If one is raised in a supportive, loving and strong family structure, they tend to value blood relationships throughout life. In other times, the family system is tainted with domestic violence, abuse and judgemental instances. In such, friends are so much better and closer.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Maconstewart wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 20:46 It has been my experience that what you refer to as free will relationships are much stronger than ones based on blood ties. That may be unfortunate for me, but I find them more honesty based and steadfast. Free will relationships are based on some common thread, whether it be an interest or an experience. Blood relationships are built with peole you just happened to be thrown in a certain gene pool with. Sometimes that pool will drown you and the free will relationships are typically there to save you.
I agree. I think even blood relationships when worked on based on free will, or when they are destroyed and rebuilt based on a person's decision they become stronger.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:57
Kirsi_78 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:32 Man-made relations can be very strong. I have a few such relations in my own life, from which I can say they are at least as strong as the blood relations. The problem (that is, if you want to see it as a problem) is that man-made relationships are easier to cut off. To my opinion, the bond with the blood can't really be cut off. In both types of relationships, it takes a bit of luck and a lot of hard work to create a strong relationship. Once it is there, it is a true blessing to one's life.
The other issue with man-made relations is that they require time and trust. Blood ties grow naturally. In most cases, they do not require much time to build. Indeed, it's hard to break blood ties. If it happens, they also leave more sorrow compared to man-made relations.
I don't think all man-made relationships require time. Some people feel like long lost relatives. Iagree with the trust, 100%. But I think that trust doesn't always need a long time to build.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Through personal experiences, I do believe so. The relationships made my choice are stronger than those forced by blood.
Moocow1213
Currently Reading: Empath Ebook
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moocow1213.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moocow1213 »

I agree, I think that sometimes man made relationships can be much stronger than blood relationships. This is such an interesting topic to discuss.
Student, book obsessed and a spiritual individual
'Trust the process'
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

I think the essence of a relationship comes from relating. The work put in any relationship determines the bond's strength be it a blood relationship or a free choice man-made one. It is also about the reciprocal. When it is absent in the blood relations where everyone always starts when searching for bonds automatically we search for man-made bonds and relationships to fill the void.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Aishwarya Chhabra wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 05:30 Relations formed as a result of circumstances, attractions, similarities out of free will sometimes travel long periods of our lifetimes than our sometimes imposed closest blood relations. This is something that happened among the three- Kalayla , Maureen and Lena in KALAYLA .What are your opinions??
Free will relationships always travel long periods because they are formed with purpose, unlike blood relationships that are out of compulsion.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Blood is thicker than water. That's how the saying goes, but clearly, Kalayla is a good argument against it. Whether blood relations or not, each has its own set of responsibility and rights over you.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”