Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Post by reeves »

I personally think relationships made of free will can definitely be stronger than blood-relations. As people grow and change, it's the people who are in their lives at the moment that have the greatest influence on them. I think it really depends on how you grow up, what values you're brought up with, etc. Some families are very close-knit from birth so I can see those values maintaining throughout the rest of their lives and this could tie into religion, culture, race etc.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

Yes, I think free will man-made relations are stronger because you get to choose who to associate with, those with similar interests. In blood relations, you just find yourself in a gene pool with no choice.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I believe that free will made relationships can be stronger than blood relationships. Marriage clearly depicts this.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I strongly believe that blood relatives can let you down, while real friends can help you unconditionally. However, sometimes family is the only support. Each situation is different, and education plays a major part in that. The important message is that anyone can find a family-like connection, no matter where or how they were born and raised.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I believe the stronger bond is between you and those you chose to be your family. After all, the complete version of the famous saying is "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb".
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

There is a different relationship that forms between family and friends. I do believe, that it is possible for the friends in your life to become like family and there to be a familial love. This book showed that fairly well.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

That depends on how you are with people related to you by blood. If your family is good and you get along very well, it can be as good as the relationships you make in your life.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I somewhat disagree with it. Any relationship (whether free will man-made or blood relation) will only work out when both parties trust in each other. To build any relationship, you need to water them with love, faith, sharing, forgiving, and understanding
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Either can be stronger depending on the two people in question, but family who is chosen as a result of liking a person and choosing to be around them has more initial meaning in it than a family bond which is essentially the result of random chance
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I think what counts is the willingness and efforts of a person to keep a certain specific person in their life regardless of the bond being connected by blood or it being independent of blood. Right people stay and you put efforts to make them stay. Nurturing, nourishing and growing in relationships make them stronger regardless of blood ties or man made ties. It's all on you, who you wanna keep, who you wanna let go.
JHING Estanislao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhing-estanislao.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by JHING Estanislao »

hellonewuser wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 02:36 "I wish everyone knew the entire saying. It's not 'blood is thicker than water,' it's 'the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.' Meaning relationships built by choice are stronger than those built by birth."Only those relations are the one you should care which are true to you not because of need of you"
I also believe in this saying. We don't get to choose our family at birth, but the bond we forged with someone else are deeper and stronger that just with are blood relatives.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Not necessarily, it's not really black and white. I think it depends on individual relationships and how close those bonds are. Some families got each other's backs and love each other so much that their bonds are unbreakable. Others have had a falling-out, met loyal friends they would die for.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

Sometimes circumstances can draw people together. Even though these people are not related by blood, the similarities in their situations make them understand what the other is going through. They end up depending on each other for advice and other necessities. Blood relations may be strong but they may sometimes falter. Free will bonding is not easily broken since it's built from understanding.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I do agree with this. For a person to have a relationship with a person and become as close as family, they have to be intentional about it. They have to really give a lot for the growth of the relationship. On the other hand, family by blood can often be a relationship where people just tolerate each other because they are related. I feel man made relationships are often times more genuine.
Oyster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyster.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Oyster »

I think that it is stronger. We don't get to choose our bliid-relationshions. Be that as it is, we are under no obligation to love them. They are family but our consent were not sought before such a family was created.

But you see relationships between people that gladly and willingly went into it,that is gold. You chose to be with that person (whether romantically or platonically). That mere chance of choice makes the bond stronger if both parties choose to make it so

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”