Black and White

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Black and White

Post by Brenda Creech »

Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

There are crtain cultures were women were black especially mothers all their life after losing a spouse of a child. I am not sure if that is what the author wanted to do here. Maybe she chose the contrast to adhance the grief she feels but on the other hand her will for change in her life. Losing two sons to war and two to life obstacles must be horrible. I didn't even notice taht part about her appartment being all white. Excellent obervation B.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Maybe she just likes to wear black? ;) But seriously, I think the black colored clothing describes her troubled (and maybe depressed) soul. I think the white color in her apartment could be an attempt to hide her personality and maybe life-events from anybody who enters her apartment. I feel that using only white color in interior design is very impersonal. It tells nothing about the owner of the apartment, and on the other hand, it tells a lot about her fears and her attitude towards life.

Of course, the white color could also signify hope, as it does in the Bible, but in this case, I believe it to be something else. Anyway, this color-thing is a very interesting way of describing the character's personality. And it leaves a lot of space to guessing.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Lena is well off. She's the landlord and has been wealthy for quite a good number of years. I don't think the white in her house symbolizes hope. I'm inclined to that idea because when she visits Maureen, she tells her that she loves the vibrant colors of her artistry. You can also notice her cleaning at the laundromat is done regularly. Hence, the white represents her neatness. As for the black dress code, I'd agree it's to symbolize her sorrow and resentment.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

I agree that the black possibly signified mourning. The white I saw more as signifying the emptiness which she felt. It was very interesting that she thoroughly admired the colors which Maureen used to paint her apartment. And equally interesting was how, at the end, she changed from wearing black to incorporate more colors. In addition, the black and white also seemed to indicate her thinking - very "black and white" - no middle ground. It took some significant changes within her to finally be able to open up.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

Catie139 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 18:48 I agree that the black possibly signified mourning. The white I saw more as signifying the emptiness which she felt. It was very interesting that she thoroughly admired the colors which Maureen used to paint her apartment. And equally interesting was how, at the end, she changed from wearing black to incorporate more colors. In addition, the black and white also seemed to indicate her thinking - very "black and white" - no middle ground. It took some significant changes within her to finally be able to open up.
I like your observations and interpretations here. I agree that the black symbolizes her grieving, and the other two helped her work through thst process.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
I had not thought of the colors being significant...kudos to you for noticing a thought provoking piece of the book. I believe some cultures adhere to wearing black for mourning. Also, I believe some dictate that it be observed for one year. I also want to think that I have read somewhere that during the grief period pictures should be covered by black drapes as well. I cannot remember whrre I saw or heard that, so I could be completely off. If true, maybe the bare walls were something along the same lines.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Catie139 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 18:48 I agree that the black possibly signified mourning. The white I saw more as signifying the emptiness which she felt. It was very interesting that she thoroughly admired the colors which Maureen used to paint her apartment. And equally interesting was how, at the end, she changed from wearing black to incorporate more colors. In addition, the black and white also seemed to indicate her thinking - very "black and white" - no middle ground. It took some significant changes within her to finally be able to open up.
Based on this thesis, Lena is a wise woman. She's clear in her thoughts and how she handles issues. She never weighs it down on Kalayla when she asks her about the pictures on her wall.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

Lena wear black maybe she expressing her current mental situation which is drepressed and her house is painted in white because she want to show how empty she feel without her children.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:12 There are crtain cultures were women were black especially mothers all their life after losing a spouse of a child. I am not sure if that is what the author wanted to do here. Maybe she chose the contrast to adhance the grief she feels but on the other hand her will for change in her life. Losing two sons to war and two to life obstacles must be horrible. I didn't even notice taht part about her appartment being all white. Excellent obervation B.
I agree that the contrast could be the will for change in her life. The fact that she always wears black yet lives in surroundings completely decorated in white has to have some significance to her inner emotions. I like your analogy of "her will for change in her life," Thanks!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:50 Maybe she just likes to wear black? ;) But seriously, I think the black colored clothing describes her troubled (and maybe depressed) soul. I think the white color in her apartment could be an attempt to hide her personality and maybe life-events from anybody who enters her apartment. I feel that using only white color in interior design is very impersonal. It tells nothing about the owner of the apartment, and on the other hand, it tells a lot about her fears and her attitude towards life.

Of course, the white color could also signify hope, as it does in the Bible, but in this case, I believe it to be something else. Anyway, this color-thing is a very interesting way of describing the character's personality. And it leaves a lot of space to guessing.
That is an excellent analogy! I agree that the white interior design is impersonal. Perhaps she chose that to prevent people from asking personal questions? I know she fell in love with Maureen's colors in her apartment, so she likes vibrant things, yet her life seems to be just black and white.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 15:03 Lena is well off. She's the landlord and has been wealthy for quite a good number of years. I don't think the white in her house symbolizes hope. I'm inclined to that idea because when she visits Maureen, she tells her that she loves the vibrant colors of her artistry. You can also notice her cleaning at the laundromat is done regularly. Hence, the white represents her neatness. As for the black dress code, I'd agree it's to symbolize her sorrow and resentment.
Great observation! I did not connect it with her regularly cleaning at the laundromat! Missed that connection! I still believe the white signifies hope for her, but your thoughts give me something else to ponder!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yes! I think connecting with Maureen and Kalayla put some "color" back into her life which helped her see her life in a much different way!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Maconstewart wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 22:53
B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
I had not thought of the colors being significant...kudos to you for noticing a thought provoking piece of the book. I believe some cultures adhere to wearing black for mourning. Also, I believe some dictate that it be observed for one year. I also want to think that I have read somewhere that during the grief period pictures should be covered by black drapes as well. I cannot remember whrre I saw or heard that, so I could be completely off. If true, maybe the bare walls were something along the same lines.
Excellent thoughts! I know some cultures still hold to wearing black for extended periods as opposed to the US who really doesn't adhere to wearing black for mourning anymore, as seen at many funerals where people are in multiple colors, and if they wear black then it is usually for that day only. I can see some cultures covering pictures with black drapes in keeping with their tradition. I don't know if I have ever heard that before, but it seems feasible!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Book Lover7 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:46 Lena wear black maybe she expressing her current mental situation which is drepressed and her house is painted in white because she want to show how empty she feel without her children.
Oh, that is a great thought about the white signifying her 'emptiness' without her children! I had not thought of that, thanks!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”