Black and White

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Re: Black and White

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Black is inherently tied to grief and sorrow, and white to purity but also blankness. In fact, I'm sure black signifies something else in a different situation. In any case, the author created a strong visual and emotional contrast.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Chipochashe wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 17:01 I agree that Lena wears black because she is in mourning. She is taken by the vibrant colours in Maureen's apartment, so I think the white in her own apartment could be that she wishes for a clean slate. She has a lot of regrets from her past as seen from the way she only displays a few pictures in the apartment.
The White symbolizing a clean slate - I like that analogy! I never thought of that, but she was impressed with all of the colours in Maureen's apartment, and later she began to add color to herself. She was finally starting over.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

B Creech wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 05:17
Book Lover7 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:46 Lena wear black maybe she expressing her current mental situation which is depressed and her house is painted in white because she want to show how empty she feel without her children.
Oh, that is a great thought about the white signifying her 'emptiness' without her children! I had not thought of that, thanks!
The white might also stand as a form of comfort to her over the loss of her children.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Jeff Winger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Jeff Winger »

I feel the all black is a sign of perhaps depression and the all white surroundings might be an attempt by lena to brighten up her life and cleanse away negative thoughts.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Well in agreement with what everyone else has said, it is very clear that her dressing in black all the time signified mourning and the sorrow she felt deep within after the loss of her boys. However for the white décor, I would love to say that she had that because she was neat and all but after thinking about it, I think it's because she felt empty but needed something that represented hope of a better tomorrow.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

:(
Book Lover7 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:46 Lena wear black maybe she expressing her current mental situation which is drepressed and her house is painted in white because she want to show how empty she feel without her children.
It's intriguing you are attributing white to emptiness. That's a first time. Do you have reasons for this?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jeff Winger wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 13:37 I feel the all black is a sign of perhaps depression and the all white surroundings might be an attempt by lena to brighten up her life and cleanse away negative thoughts.
That's an interesting thought! White as a way of brightening up her life, I never thought of that, but you make a great point! Thanks.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

Eutoc wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 07:41 :(
Book Lover7 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:46 Lena wear black maybe she expressing her current mental situation which is drepressed and her house is painted in white because she want to show how empty she feel without her children.
It's intriguing you are attributing white to emptiness. That's a first time. Do you have reasons for this?
Yeah! It's my personal opinion that sometimes white gives emptiness to me.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I automatically assumed Lena wore black because she was still mourning the loss of her sons: the actual death of the twins, and simply not knowing what happened to Mark. To me, the white apartment symbolized emptiness.

When Lena started wearing color later in the book, Carlotta said it was like she "climbed out of the grave." So for me that's evidence that the black was for mourning.
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Nicholas Christian »

I believe you're reading too much into that. It's an inococous colour preference, it doesn't have to mean anything.

What you're doing is you're indulging in something called promiscuous teleology which is a mistaken belief that everything has a significance. This is not always the case. Sometimes, things happen "just because". 😁
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:50 Maybe she just likes to wear black? ;) But seriously, I think the black colored clothing describes her troubled (and maybe depressed) soul. I think the white color in her apartment could be an attempt to hide her personality and maybe life-events from anybody who enters her apartment. I feel that using only white color in interior design is very impersonal. It tells nothing about the owner of the apartment, and on the other hand, it tells a lot about her fears and her attitude towards life.

Of course, the white color could also signify hope, as it does in the Bible, but in this case, I believe it to be something else. Anyway, this color-thing is a very interesting way of describing the character's personality. And it leaves a lot of space to guessing.
I agree with your interpretation. Her black dress was for mourning, especially evidenced at the end of the book when she starts adding a bit more colour to her attire, signifying the start of her healing.
The white in her apartment is a way to hide herself and her pain from everyone, even herself. She isn't really living in that house at all, only occupying it.
Heidadel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Heidadel »

There are people who express their emotions by wearing certain colors. Black and white are neutral colors which express a simple uncomplicated mind or emptiness. I believe Lena's choice of black and white was more of an expression of what was inside her heart. This is because it is evident that Maureen's colorful style later impacted Lena, meaning she finally found meaning through her interaction with Maureen and Kalayla.
Samantha Gayle
Favorite Book: The Great Divorce
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-gayle.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0BJLXMVMV

Post by Samantha Gayle »

I feel her black clothing symbolizes all of her loss. She wears it literally on her sleeve. I think it's the loss of her youth through an abusive marriage as well as the loss of her sons. She has lost the color in her world, and that reflects her garb as well as her white apartment. The white apartment has given me some trouble as far as what it means. Part of me wants to think it's her clean slate that she hopes to fill with color and life once again. That's she's just waiting for something to bring it back. I also think it's easier for her to see things in black and white because she doesn't have to think of her lost family. Colors and patterns can bring on nostalgia, and I think she tried to suppress those feeling for a long time. A fascinating topic to ponder!
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

I think your interpretations are correct. Also in certain parts of the world (like mine), people who mourn wear black and some continue to wear perpetually. While white brings hope and faith
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
I think this represents how opposite she is from her living environment. Interesting point.
Spencer Mack

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”