Black and White

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Re: Black and White

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It seemed to me she wanted to simplify her life by wearing black. She probably got tired of having to make choices. However, all-white furniture is very daring. I don't know she kept everything clean. Kudos to her! :tiphat:
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Lena wears black because she is holding on to her past. She is haunted by the painful experiences that Joey made her to go through and her mistakes as a mother. I think that her appartment is painted white to signify change and hope for a better future.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

In my opinion, Lena probably chose black as her go-to colour for her clothes as she felt so lonely after what she endured in her marriage and losing her sons. With black, she does not have to keep making choices on what wear. It might be easier for her that way. Her white apartment is a stark difference to what she chooses to wear. Maybe she likes white?
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think Lena wears black to signify her mourning for her sons and the white color on her walls signify her neatness.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
I agree that she had worn black for consecutive years because her two sons died, since she mentioned this to Maureen. However, I don't think that her white apartment signified hope, rather, it represents her life (before Kalayla came in)—colorless and lifeless. It could also be that she isn't motivated to put another color just like she's uninterested to put more things in her almost empty apartment.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

iammiape wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 05:13
B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
I agree that she had worn black for consecutive years because her two sons died, since she mentioned this to Maureen. However, I don't think that her white apartment signified hope, rather, it represents her life (before Kalayla came in)—colorless and lifeless. It could also be that she isn't motivated to put another color just like she's uninterested to put more things in her almost empty apartment.
Excellent analogy and things I had not thought of!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

I think the wearing of black was just a symbol of the loss and grief that she suffered in her life. Her apartment being all white signified her reluctance to move on and give the place a homey feel. The white signified some detachment, and refusal to move on from her past hurts.
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

lena wearing black makes sense in way , that she had no colours of joy in her life as she lost every precious thing she had in her life whether its her twins who died or the husband who she never understand . the white walls may be a hope for her that someday she again have colours in her life and waiting for them is why she had everything in white .
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think she wears black because she lost her sons, so somewhere she is still mourning them. I also feel that she regrets her life because she feels there's a lot she could have done for her children but didn't due to her fear of her husband.
In case of the white apartment, I don't think there is a reason for that. She probably just likes it that way.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I do agree with you on why she wears black. But as for the white color of her room, I think she just wanted to be as simple as possible, and what is more simple than white?
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

In my opinion, her black clothes represent the death of her husband and twin sons, whereas her white apartment represents her colorless life. However, when Kalayla came into her life, she started to change. Her life was beginning to fill with colors. Her colorful blouses were a prominent example of that.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Black symbolises the perpetual mourning she's been in ever since the tragedies in her past, but in the context of her living areas, white walls suggest blankness and emptiness, like she has very little to define herself or express herself by now. Over the course of the novel, she grows to find new purpose and finding her identity again
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I think the white of her walls signifies that she has left space and a canvas of her life blank to fill it with colors again even though she's suffering and wearing black like it's the darkness of her life. She's hopeful and white signifies that, her strength and her will.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

Even while I knew about Lena wearing black all the time and her apartment being all white, I never thought about what it could have symbolised. Now that I think about it, I agree with most of you. The black must have symbolised her grief. As for the white in her apartment, I felt like the white may have symbolised hope or a fresh start(which she may have subconsciously wanted). But I also felt like she did not want to leave traces of her herself or her personality. Like she wasn't ready for that new start.
:eusa-think:
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I understood the black but didn't give much thought to her all-white apartment. One could argue that black and white are not colors but shades. Maybe those two just signified the lack of color in her life?
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”