Black and White

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Re: Black and White

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:50 Maybe she just likes to wear black? ;) But seriously, I think the black colored clothing describes her troubled (and maybe depressed) soul. I think the white color in her apartment could be an attempt to hide her personality and maybe life-events from anybody who enters her apartment. I feel that using only white color in interior design is very impersonal. It tells nothing about the owner of the apartment, and on the other hand, it tells a lot about her fears and her attitude towards life.

Of course, the white color could also signify hope, as it does in the Bible, but in this case, I believe it to be something else. Anyway, this color-thing is a very interesting way of describing the character's personality. And it leaves a lot of space to guessing.
In which way do you think white hides he personality?
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 15:03 Lena is well off. She's the landlord and has been wealthy for quite a good number of years. I don't think the white in her house symbolizes hope. I'm inclined to that idea because when she visits Maureen, she tells her that she loves the vibrant colors of her artistry. You can also notice her cleaning at the laundromat is done regularly. Hence, the white represents her neatness. As for the black dress code, I'd agree it's to symbolize her sorrow and resentment.
If white matches with her cleanliness, why do you think she hides this fact from Kalayla?
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I felt she wore black clothes because of the son she lost. In some culture wearing black signifies mourning. I did not actually read any meaning to her white painted house. I just felt that she loved white color.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

I think she wore black because for a long time she had been mourning and black in q lot of cultures is used to signify that. As for why all her furniture were white, I believe its because white can be used to represent innocence, something she lost to early in life.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
Wow! I did not see that. You probably have a point. She may be subconsciously wearing black to reflect her inner sadness.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

Lena has gone through a lot in her life. When we first start reading Kalayla, Lena is living alone in her all-white apartment. I think her wearing black describes all her losses, and is maybe a sign of her depressed soul. She also ends up wearing a bit of color, and I think that is a sign of her developing, and finding happiness in life again. Now, her all-white aparment, was something that I didn't expect, and I am actually not entirely sure why she has chosen to do it that way. Maybe it symbolizes emptiness, due to the loss of her sons and her husband, but it could also be a symbolization of hope?
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I agree with you on this. But in addition, the black was also a reminder that she has failed as a mother.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
I agree the black is for the sons she lost. But I think the white is more of an attempt to try and "clean out" the mistakes of the past.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

The black outfit was simply to signify her grief and guilt as well when it comes to her children but I don’t think her house being all white had much to do with that. I think it was just easier to handle.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Yeah, it was really weird. But for me, the black signifies that she had failed while the white signifies that there is hope to rise again.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

Brenda Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
This is really thoughtful. I never saw it that way tho.
SoledadCanaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soledadcanaria.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by SoledadCanaria »

I can assume all day on the reason why she wears the clothes she wears but I think my assumptions will probably be wrong. But I think it just had to do with her state of mind at that period of her life
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Well, from the book we see that Lena has been mourning her children and her life and has always been putting on black. No wonder it was a huge surprise for people to see her in a green dress.

As for the white color of her house, i say it's just a color.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I think her constant black was just to out people off and to show how she'd rather be alone. The white inside her house signified the hope inside her heart, that private hope she wasn't bold enough to show the world
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Lena's character in the book is unique. From my understanding, she wears black always because of the sadness within herself - the loss of her sons and scattered family. The way people dress signifies her emotions, experiences, and personality. In my case, I wear clothes depending on my mood, and the major thing is personality. So I think in Lena, it's because of her tragic experiences as a mom.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”