Black and White

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Re: Black and White

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think the wearing black is definitely partly because of having lost her sons, 2 to death and 2 to estrangement. She had lost hope in life and love. She also felt guilt and shame from her relationship with Joey. Being a grandmother to Kalayla and a mother to Maureen has helped her work through the shame, guilt and pain of her past. The wearing of color again symbolized her readiness to embrace life and love. The white apartment felt more like a life of simplicity. Lena could have lived in a glamorous home if she had chosen but she kept her life simple. It was probably a form of self punishment and well as a brushing off of the life with Joey. It also shows that she has an emptiness that needs to be filled. When she invites color back into her life, it is because she is full of hope again.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Samantha Gayle wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:04 I feel her black clothing symbolizes all of her loss. She wears it literally on her sleeve. I think it's the loss of her youth through an abusive marriage as well as the loss of her sons. She has lost the color in her world, and that reflects her garb as well as her white apartment. The white apartment has given me some trouble as far as what it means. Part of me wants to think it's her clean slate that she hopes to fill with color and life once again. That's she's just waiting for something to bring it back. I also think it's easier for her to see things in black and white because she doesn't have to think of her lost family. Colors and patterns can bring on nostalgia, and I think she tried to suppress those feeling for a long time. A fascinating topic to ponder!
Those are excellent thoughts! I like the "clean slate" theory and the "seeing things in black and white!" I never thought of either one. Either could be the reason she showed such contrast in her personal appearance and her living environment. Meeting Kalaya and Maureen began to bring some "color" back into her life again.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
It seems that her constant wearing of black signifies loss and grief. Her white apartment may actually be a portrayal of the emptiness she feels.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

plnjimenez wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 03:31
B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 13:03 Lena wears black all of the time, yet everything in her apartment is white. I think she wears the black because of the son she lost, and because of estrangement of her other sons; and I think the white signifies hope that one day her other sons will want to be a family again. That is what my thoughts are on this. What are your thoughts? Why does she wear black and why is everything in her apartment white? I would love to hear some more ideas on that!
It seems that her constant wearing of black signifies loss and grief. Her white apartment may actually be a portrayal of the emptiness she feels.
That's an excellent thought. It is interesting to realize howt different people view the concept of black and white! I had just always thought of 'white' as hope and purity, but your comment, and others, have been enlightening!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I also agree that the black symbolizes her grief and sorrow; however, I do not know what to think of the white in her apartment. Maybe it is supposed to signify a sense of hope and light in Lena's world, although she has been through so much hurt and pain.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:

Post by Ogbara »

B Creech wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 05:05
Catie139 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 18:48 I agree that the black possibly signified mourning. The white I saw more as signifying the emptiness which she felt. It was very interesting that she thoroughly admired the colors which Maureen used to paint her apartment. And equally interesting was how, at the end, she changed from wearing black to incorporate more colors. In addition, the black and white also seemed to indicate her thinking - very "black and white" - no middle ground. It took some significant changes within her to finally be able to open up.
Yes! I think connecting with Maureen and Kalayla put some "color" back into her life which helped her see her life in a much different way!
Yes! I agree despite her emotional state she was in the color "black", she still wanted a surrounding environment of hope the color "white", to lighten the depression she was in feeling.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:

Post by Ogbara »

Catie139 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 18:48 I agree that the black possibly signified mourning. The white I saw more as signifying the emptiness which she felt. It was very interesting that she thoroughly admired the colors which Maureen used to paint her apartment. And equally interesting was how, at the end, she changed from wearing black to incorporate more colors. In addition, the black and white also seemed to indicate her thinking - very "black and white" - no middle ground. It took some significant changes within her to finally be able to open up.
Yes! And the white was also her unconscious desire to escape the sorrow and pain she felt.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

I know we may be tempted to think a lot of things, but it might just be that she loves the color?.….I initially thought that it might just be a way of expressing her grief, but who knows?
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This could be true.

It could also be that she loves black colour.
It could also be that she loves white colour and and black colour both.
It could also be that she loves the contrast between the black she wears and the white in her apartment.

Any number of reasons really.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

She wears black because indeed it reminds her of what she has lost and I think white puts everything into perspective that one day she will step out of the darkness.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This is such an interesting concept. As I read, I associated Lena's black clothing with grief. It never dawned on me that the white decor in her apartment could be representative of hope. I think the white could also represent a desire on Lena's part for things to feel neat and orderly around her. After the abusive relationship she had with her husband and the turmoil she experienced with each of her sons, it seems like she would want to have a sense of order and control in her life, something to combat the feelings of chaos she lived with in her past.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I agree with you. A typical sign of mourning is wearing black and a general color of hope is white. This could be a fairly accurate representation. Good thinking!
Moocow1213
Currently Reading: Empath Ebook
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moocow1213.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moocow1213 »

I believe she wears black to mourn and to symbolise the outward expression of her grief. As this is done in many cultures, but I think the white could be hope. The white could be the subconscious trying to make sense of her grief and perhaps in a way the white (outward) shows her external situation and conscious brain whilst the black shows her inward feelings (grief).
Though this might be a bit far fetched. Just imagining here. :D
Student, book obsessed and a spiritual individual
'Trust the process'
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Wow you have a point. That sounds more like it, especially the fact about how her thinking seemed to be in two ends and not in the middle ground.
FrostBytez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by FrostBytez »

It could quite possibly be an indicator of some sorts of tragedy or maybe she is just fond of those colors.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”