Black and White

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Black and White

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Book Lover7 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:46 Lena wear black maybe she expressing her current mental situation which is drepressed and her house is painted in white because she want to show how empty she feel without her children.
I'd agree with your perspective. Lena truly feels low about her sons. It's sad that during her conversation with Maureen, the memories of the twins and her lost son emerge.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

I think the reason she wears black is that it reflects what her emotions really are. Even if it has been years since she first grieved, she is still haunted by the death of her children and husband. I think the reason most of her house is painted white is that she still has hope to live. And I think that hope represents Kalayla.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

I beleive she is trying to balance out her emotions and that can be seen by the way she dresses and how shekeeps her apartment. I felt that she might feel a bit dead inside she manages to light up her apartment. So I think she's trying to balance it out.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

david_martinez wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 22:30 I think the reason she wears black is that it reflects what her emotions really are. Even if it has been years since she first grieved, she is still haunted by the death of her children and husband. I think the reason most of her house is painted white is that she still has hope to live. And I think that hope represents Kalayla.
Although it might not be completely convincing, Lena hardly embraces the lavish sides of living. So, dressing in black may not be associated with her sorrow. Lotta banishes her for not even dying her hair. You should also note that she lived in a fourth-floor walk-up apartment, yet she could afford to buy a penthouse at the Ritz.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Although it might not be completely convincing, Lena hardly embraces the lavish sides of living. So, dressing in black may not be associated with her sorrow. Lotta banishes her for not even dying her hair. You should also note that she lived in a fourth-floor walk-up apartment, yet she could afford to buy a penthouse at the Ritz.
david_martinez wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 22:30 I think the reason she wears black is that it reflects what her emotions really are. Even if it has been years since she first grieved, she is still haunted by the death of her children and husband. I think the reason most of her house is painted white is that she still has hope to live. And I think that hope represents Kalayla.
Although it might not be completely convincing, Lena hardly embraces the lavish sides of living. So, dressing in black may not be associated with her sorrow. Lotta keeps complaining about her not even dying her hair. You should also note that she lived in a fourth-floor walk-up apartment, yet she could afford to buy a penthouse at the Ritz.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Book Lover7 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:46 Lena wear black maybe she expressing her current mental situation which is drepressed and her house is painted in white because she want to show how empty she feel without her children.
Interesting! I never thought of the white as her feeling empty, but a very real possibility! The color white could imply so many different things, whereas the color black is very recognizable as grief!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yes, I also saw the white as hope. After getting to know Kalayla and Maureen she did eventually begin to add color back into her life, which I feel was a product of the hope she had coming to life!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

anoushka_thakur wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 00:49 I beleive she is trying to balance out her emotions and that can be seen by the way she dresses and how shekeeps her apartment. I felt that she might feel a bit dead inside she manages to light up her apartment. So I think she's trying to balance it out.
I never looked at it that way, but it makes a lot of sense! She has the extreme of black on one end, and white on the other, and to really balance it out she begins to fill in the space between the two through Kalayla and Maureen!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

B Creech wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 04:40
Yes, I also saw the white as hope. After getting to know Kalayla and Maureen she did eventually begin to add color back into her life, which I feel was a product of the hope she had coming to life!
Those were my thoughts also! But everyone else has some good things I didn't think about. But, I'm still leaning toward hope!
B. Creech
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

I think Lena wears black clothes to signify the darkness in her heart since she's still mourning, and the white painting of her apartment is just her favourite colour.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Ebby Brown wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 03:21 I think Lena wears black clothes to signify the darkness in her heart since she's still mourning, and the white painting of her apartment is just her favourite colour.
I also agree of the black symbolism. For the white colour in her home, it would be appropriate to say it's her favourite colour. I was convinced of this by her comments when she visited Maureen. She clearly mentioned that she also had a love for art.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I think the white unadorned apartment symbolized an emptiness in Lena's life. She didn't consider her house/apartment a “home” She doesn't think of her place of residence as a nest and a refuge from the world.

But on the other hand, there is nothing prettier than large white wall with a single painting on it. When I had a bigger house, that is how I decorated it.

I think she wore black as a symbol of grief for the losses in her life.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Twylla wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 09:46 I think the white unadorned apartment symbolized an emptiness in Lena's life. She didn't consider her house/apartment a “home” She doesn't think of her place of residence as a nest and a refuge from the world.

But on the other hand, there is nothing prettier than large white wall with a single painting on it. When I had a bigger house, that is how I decorated it.

I think she wore black as a symbol of grief for the losses in her life.
I'm glad you put it out clearly, that Lena didn't see her apartment as a home. I agree with you because, as an owner of an apartment house, Lena's living standards were a mismatch.
Allen Cheque
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allen-cheque.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Allen Cheque »

Whoa, I never thought about this, but I think you are right. She wears black to mourn her sons and white as a sign of hope for a better future where her family comes together again. Genius!
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry
rachna_r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itsrachna.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by rachna_r »

There can be several reasons but the black signifying loss and darkness hovering on her head seems more appropriate. The white being peace symbol is for a friendly environment.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”