Are The Parent To Blame?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Re: Are The Parent To Blame?

Post by Vine Michael »

While everyone is responsible for their own decisions in life I think the life choices of the parents have a direct effect on their children. Parents are role models to their children and thus what they do, their lifestyle, extremely matters. On the other hand a child could be raised by bad parents and still turn out well. Why? This happens when a better person than their parents become their role models. If they don't have that I do think they would unknowingly end up like their parents even when they don't want to.
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

Like a friend said, two kids raised in the same circumstances would turn out different, one just fine and the other a stubborn ruffian. Beyond parents is friends who count to a point in the making up of ones behavior, here as well, two kids would turn out different, one just fine despite bad influence and the other a ruffian even with good influence. Its a complicated issue. Depends on the individual how to turn out I'll say.
:D I believe in love
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

To a very large extent, everyone has got some pieces from thier parenting. There's always a little make up left in you by your parents. So I think we cannot entirely blame the parents because everyone, finally, will make their own decisions and choices.
Primetjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primetjay.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Primetjay »

Rave4 wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 02:45 Children in the end decide how they turn out in the end, but this decision largely hinges on the kind of influence their parents had on them, so parents play a very huge role in who their children end up becoming
I can't agree with you less! The parents lay the foundation on which the children are developed upon... Remember "train up a could the way s/he should grow......
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Parenting goes a long way in the morals of a child. That's the first point of education we received. Being a parent doesn't just stop at providing fiscal means for a child, it extends to teaching right morals that'd be beneficial to the society.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

Of course, parenting plays a reasonable role in how a child turns out but this isn't absolute because children may have certain experiences outside their homes which may form their behaviors.
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

Parents can only be blamed for so much. While they have a huge influence on the way their children interact with the world around them, I think children eventually have to mature and take responsibility for their own emotions, mental health, and actions. One can be raised in the most desperate of circumstances but perseverance, hard work, and a bit of therapy will go a long way towards living a successful life.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Parenting has a direct effect on a child's upbringing. The first lesson always starts at home. So it won't be wrong to say that parenting often affects the future of a child. On the other hand,parenting is often defeated by the effect one's company has.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

Children grow up not soley depending on the teachings of their parents. Many factors play roles in molding a child, like environment and their peers. Therefore, if you are looking for someone to blame for how child turns out, I think it’s the child’s decisions, not so much as the parent’s.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

Parental upbringing can influence the future of a child in one way or another.mostly the environment a person grows up in will determine how their future will turn out to be especially the company one keeps really matter.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Christieee wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 08:01 Parenting is difficult. A parent could do everything within their power for their child, but something unexpected could always happen. As a parent though, you love your child regardless. This, I think, can also be applied all the relationships explored in the book. Lena loved her boys, but her love was not enough. Unexpected things can always happen.
I agree with you that parental love is immeasurable. The parent will always do what is best for the child and thus raise him. However, the child is again a person for himself and has his own decisions that are not always related to the parents.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Rave4 wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 02:45 Children in the end decide how they turn out in the end, but this decision largely hinges on the kind of influence their parents had on them, so parents play a very huge role in who their children end up becoming
I agree that parents have a big role because they are the main factor in the child's growth, but in the end, but also through life, children gain other experiences and meet other people, so they can change opinions and form new ones.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

dianaterrado wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 00:16
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:45 Joey is always saying that the boys should be left alone to toughen up. Maureen is too busy working to take care of Kalayla, and Lena has had it with the boys. From their stories, what is your view on parenting? Is it the reason Kalayla and Lena's children grow the way they are? Would you blame parenting to the moral uprightness or bad character of a child?
Did Joey, Jamal, Maureen, and Lena nurture their children properly?
I think parenting is hard and that there is no right or wrong way to do it. But I do believe parents have a huge impact on their children's lives and can influence whether a child would grow up good or bad. I think the characters in the book did what they did in the ways they know how.
I agree. Often times and in life parents have to endure “ugly looks” and the like because they have allegedly raised a child poorly, however the observer can never know the whole story. I believe most parents give to a child and raise him the best they know how.
Shatakshi Gauriar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shatakshi-gauriar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Shatakshi Gauriar »

A child is a mirror of their family. Parents mold their children in certain ways, to be accepted in this blood-sucking society. We see people making bad choices because one way or another, they had to deal with a troubled childhood, although this doesn't justify anyone's actions but help us to understand them in a better way. There are exceptions, sometimes even with a troubled childhood some people fly high maybe because they learn from their parent's mistake or they have someone to love and show them the right path. Whatever it is, parents shape their child's future knowingly and sometimes unknowingly.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Higher25 wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 23:58 Like a friend said, two kids raised in the same circumstances would turn out different, one just fine and the other a stubborn ruffian. Beyond parents is friends who count to a point in the making up of ones behavior, here as well, two kids would turn out different, one just fine despite bad influence and the other a ruffian even with good influence. Its a complicated issue. Depends on the individual how to turn out I'll say.
That is well said. However, I believe parents play a crucial role in how the kids end up. If a child grows up with self-esteem and self-awareness, they are bound to fall less into peer influence. Kalayla doesn't get much time as required with her mum. It must have been the reason she was always yearning for attention whenever she could get it, be it from Lena, uncle Clarence or Rico.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”