Are The Parent To Blame?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Are The Parent To Blame?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Barbie_sidhu wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 01:59 Parenting has a direct effect on a child's upbringing. The first lesson always starts at home. So it won't be wrong to say that parenting often affects the future of a child. On the other hand,parenting is often defeated by the effect one's company has.
Indeed, even for parents, the company they interact with matters. Remember Lotta, had lost her marriage, and Lena didn't have hers intact too. Their relationship was fruitful because Lotta was disciplined and caring. I am sure if Lena was associating herself with a loser, she would not have found the solutions to some of her stressful situations like Joey's demise.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Lilyflower-x2 wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 01:31
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 00:05
AntonelaMaria wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:22 Is that what every parent ask themselves all the time. Am I doing okay? Am I making the same mistakes as my parents? Everybody does them. The mistakes I mean. It is hard for me to judge the choices they made. I think Kalaya turned out just fine. You also have Jamal and what is his brother name I forgot, two sons raised by the same parents and in the same environment that turned out differently. Then you have four kids that Lena had that are raised in domestic abused household. Soemtimes you just roll with what you get. I wouldn't put blame on anyone but they certainly had an impact, together with other sources.
Clarence is the name you forgot. I see you narrowed it down to an individual level. To some point, I'd say everyone is responsible for their own decisions. Okay, parents may also have something to do with it, but you ought to choose how you respond to it. But then, how does a child grow without doing the awful things he/she sees or those that have been taught by their parents?
Very true Joseph. As adults, we have to take responsibilities of our actions. Parents play a role in developing a child's character but once the child is an adult, they have a choice to be better or worse.
I couldn't agree more. Honestly, all of our parents made mistakes, to a greater or lesser extent. But adulthood means being accountable for your actions and correcting the possible consequences of these mistakes.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Vine001 wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 18:51 While everyone is responsible for their own decisions in life I think the life choices of the parents have a direct effect on their children. Parents are role models to their children and thus what they do, their lifestyle, extremely matters. On the other hand a child could be raised by bad parents and still turn out well. Why? This happens when a better person than their parents become their role models. If they don't have that I do think they would unknowingly end up like their parents even when they don't want to.
I agree with that. Parenting is hard and I think that you can't get through it without making some mistakes. But it seems to be that those parents who are making an active attempt to try every day give that impression to their kids. You don't have to be a perfect parent to make a good impression on your kids. It is unfortunate, however, that the serious mistakes that parents make can be really negative influences as well. Thank goodness for good teachers, neighbors, friends, and leaders that can be there for support when a parent doesn't live up to their responsibilities!
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I understand parenting is not so easy a task. Nevertheless, in parenting lies a lot that can be done to shape the moral behavior of a child. Parents will be blamed to an extent.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Well parenting is tough and we all know it. Parents can't always be the reason to blame and society has got a huge part in it. Joey, Maureen and everyone else did their part. Can't always be alert about what's happening around our kids. Being over protective is also going to affect the kids in a different way.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

Hello! I just wanted to share my point of view regarding the subject that you posted. For me, parents are not always to blame. Our environment also has an impact on us as we grow up. I know someone who came from a broken family but grew up to be a responsible, independent, and motivated person. Although it was always chaos in their home, she managed to become a well-grown woman. Nevertheless, I believe that parents are the main responsible for molding children as they grow up.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

This is the classic question of nature vs nurture. I think that it depends on how a person is brought up but it also depends on their innate nature as well. Some people will be bad no matter how good their upbringing is and others can rise above a bad upbringing to become good people.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

"Would you blame parenting to the moral uprightness or bad character of a child?"

Well, my answer is YES. Although Parents are not entirely responsible for their children's behavior; in the first quarter of life, a child will display what you impose in them because they are born without any dirt thoughts.
Meizenis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meizenis.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Meizenis »

Children always need someone to show what is right and wrong. If this not shown then how will they learn. When parents make mistakes, which we all do, it is best to admit it for kids to learn.
Wayne wayne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-wayne.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Wayne wayne »

Parenting is not easy. Balancing between work, and finding time for your children is a tough job. Parents are partly responsible on how their children turn out in future. The children are responsible on the path they choose as they grow up.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Jamal and Maureen were young, and since Kalayla is their firstborn, I can sympathize with their hardship. And now that she lost her father, it's less likely that Kalayla can grow up like a normal kid. Not that I'm defending Maureen though. She was too focused on her art and only after Jamal's death did she look for a job. So she was busy with work and neglected her daughter, leaving Kalayla to her own device.

Lena is even worse. While Joey comes up as a jerk, Lena also contributed to their sons' doings. Like when she wanted to punish the twins but changed her mind when Joey used her car as a condition. She gave in right away. And she didn't seem to care enough about her kids. As long as she didn't receive calls from the school, she would ignore facts, even when she knew her sons were being bullied or stealing. If she did try to talk and understand her sons' pains, maybe they would respect or trust her more.

In conclusion, none of the parents here truly did their job properly. Families and teachers are usually the only adults who can directly affect the kids' mindsets and behaviors, so most of the responsibility would fall on them.
Heidadel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Heidadel »

Parenting plays a part in a child's moulding to a certain extend. However, there are other factors that determine how a child will turn out, like societal norms. Maureen, Lena, Jamal and Joey are to blame to a certain extend but not entirely.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Parents or Adults are supposed to be role models for younger generations. However, children grow into adults and life experiences tend to cultivate their views. When I was in the military it was an act of treason to burn or step on the American Flag. Now, in social media, you see it being construed as First Amendment. I am of the old school philosophy of, you wouldn't have that right if you were somewhere else in the world.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Hans Marcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hans-marcel.html
Latest Review: The Second American Revolution: by Liberty Nation

Post by Hans Marcel »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:22 Is that what every parent ask themselves all the time. Am I doing okay? Am I making the same mistakes as my parents? Everybody does them. The mistakes I mean. It is hard for me to judge the choices they made. I think Kalaya turned out just fine. You also have Jamal and what is his brother name I forgot, two sons raised by the same parents and in the same environment that turned out differently. Then you have four kids that Lena had that are raised in domestic abused household. Soemtimes you just roll with what you get. I wouldn't put blame on anyone but they certainly had an impact, together with other sources.
You're right. Though it's hard to be a parent, Lena has a point in doing her job, too. Kalayla seems to be a good kid, while her mother is very busy. Own choices have a great impact, I think.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I think parents definitely affect their children and their actions and words can be difficult to deal with even when the children are adults.

One thing in the book I had trouble with was Lena leaving Joey's body for one of her children to find. Yes they were older (in high school, I think?) but that is still so traumatizing. I get that she was abused and that she didn't protect her children enough but I still think that was a terrible thing to do. Wouldn't she want to keep them from seeing his body?

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”