"Motherhood"

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: "Motherhood"

Post by Micah_1 »

Adu Boahene wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 01:26 Motherhood is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It brings about pride and comes with a different form of maturation. Not all children are the same. Some are very easy to deal with, others, it will only take a miracle for them to be tamed. Most often, it's not about what the mother is doing wrong, but rather the environment in which they find themselves. For example, there was no father figure in Kalayla's life. That can be a factor for her rebellion. Mostly it's single parents who suffer the most because the other partner is absent and not in the picture so it puts all the pressure on the existing one. At times the weight gets too heavy, unbearable and the frustration is released onto the kids. Or the child might be going through something personally, and with no one to share the problem with who can relate, it then manifests in their actions. The questions that arises after can only be answered after critical analysis of the situation. It might be it's too late there's no way to fix anything, or just give them time to come around, or try to be in their sight as much as possible even if they don't want to see you. Better yet, try to realize where you went wrong, maybe your speech might have been offensive or you had no time for them and try to spend as much time as you can making it up to them. Proper communication is important but if none is willing to open up. The relationship won't work. Mothers should be open minded no matter what, a child must be able to relate to their parents on a more personal level, share everything without fear. If these things are put in place, the child going wayward is less likely to occur.
This got all my points included. Perfectly said.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Being a mother is a daily challenge, and being a single parent makes it even harder. One of the hardest things to do is raise a child by yourself. From the context of kalayla, I will say Lena made good efforts to be a mother to kalayla.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

The journey and struggle of motherhood is one that is tough. I must give it up for the mothers in this book. Though they had their flaws, they were not going allow Kalayla make a mistake.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

This story depicts the difficulties and unfortunate events that occur when raising children. Eventhough Lena was heartbroken over the loss of her children, I admire her desire to discipline Kalyala and assist Maureen.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
SoledadCanaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soledadcanaria.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by SoledadCanaria »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 00:43 Motherhood is demanding and challenging. It requires that a mother is selfless and relentless. Maureen works 100+ hours a week trying to secure Kalayla's future. But that sacrifices her time with her, which results to Kalayla trying to find herself. One lesson that's clearly given by Lena I that change can come from one person to another. That your story can help you see the potential in others and prevent them from making the same mistakes you did.
I very much agree. Motherhood is a demanding and challenging role that requires a great deal of selflessness and determination. Many mothers, like Maureen in the story, work tirelessly to provide for their children and secure their futures, often sacrificing their own time and well-being in the process. However, this can sometimes lead to a disconnect between the mother and child, as in the case of Maureen and Kalayla, who are struggling to maintain a healthy relationship. Lena, another mother in the story, provides an important lesson about the power of personal experience and how it can be used to help others avoid the same mistakes. Through her own story and the struggles she has faced, Lena is able to see the potential in others and provide guidance and support.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Lena and Maureen were great moms in this book. They did their best for their kids and even if seemed like they didn’t do enough, they were sacrificial.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

The theme of motherhood is quite dominant in the book and can majorly be seen in Lena and Maureen. We see Maureen struggle hard to train Kalayla and soak in all her teenage attitude. We also see Lena trying to correct what she failed to do as a mother to her own children. Motherhood is challenging but still beautiful.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

Motherhood when prepared for can be a blessing. For example all form of stability which include physical, mentally, emotional and spiritual stability is very necessary. In Maureen insisting on marrying a black against her parents wish already made the mothering process very complicated. Being a good mum requires preparation Lena failed too in that area and I was happy she redeemed her self with Kalayla.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I don't think anyone can claim to be a perfect mother. Everyone can only say they tried their best. And at every moment, when we look back to the things we have experienced, we can always think of better ways we could have done things. But when one was still in that situation these ideas do not come. It's always like that.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

If a mother lacks time with their children due to work, for me, when they will spend time with their kids, it should be quality time. Not that it was a discipline time because the memory of the child will focus on the strictness rather than the love. In my opinion.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

Motherhood is a demanding responsibility that necessitates time and commitment. The book depicts how these two women influenced Kalayla's life.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

Motherhood is very sacred and plays a huge role in the lives of the children. This impacted Kalayla in a positive way.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is a subject that plays a prominent and glaring role in the book Kalayla. It is a topic that goes on from generation and shows just how much it has an effect on the child.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

Motherhood is a challenge because there is no manual, no one size fits all as every child is unique and so are the mothers. It was commendable that Lena wanted to help Maureen with regards to Kalayla, that she could empathize. Lena knew what motherhood entails, so have the hand she wished she was given.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

Motherhood is a whole new ball game. There are so many things involved right from conception, to the birth of the child and their upbringing. When a woman is left to raise her child alone or without support from her spouse of family, it becomes really tough. Kalaya just exposes us to just how tough being a mother can be.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”