Appropriate for Mature teens?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Adu Boahene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adu-boahene.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Re: Appropriate for Mature teens?

Post by Adu Boahene »

I like the fact that the word matured teens was used. Maturity isn't only about growth sprout and all, it's also about how one is growing psychologically. So issues addressed in this story are understandable and will be very useful for them now and also in later life. Life growth is gradual and the lessons to help improve can also be found in places like this.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I think this book would be fine for mature teens. The only part that would give me pause would be the parts about sexual abuse, so you would have to know the audience.
beadeniseroa
Currently Reading: Finnikin of the Rock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beadeniseroa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by beadeniseroa »

Mature teens can definitely handle this book. Even if they never had, or will never have, similar experiences to the protagonists, the story will reinforce specific values and lessons in them. Reading builds character!
Here we go mother on the shipless ocean. Pity us, pity the ocean, here we go. — Anne Carson, Decreation
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

I'm against the idea that mature teens should be shielded from harsh realities of life in order to preserve their innocence. They shouldn't have to face everything in person as it might give then a harsh blow. They should be allowed to read books like these to be able to prepare themselves
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Maturity is gained from experience. Hence, exposing mature teens to such controversies mentioned in this book allows them to develop coping techniques, which will aid them to avoid stumbling when faced with setbacks.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

I advised that the book be reserved for a mature adult audience in my review. That said, it is possible that a mature teenager could read the book, with parental guidance. There are some serious subjects touched on in the storyline that I feel lend themselves to a discussion and some guidance if a teenager were to read this book. At least that is how I would handle it with my own teenager in the future.
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

Most mature teens could handle this book. Probably not for younger teens. Either could handle the race, poverty, and sexuality issues but the abuse, particularly the detailed sexual abuse, may need some parental guidance. That type of abuse is a very sensitive issue, teens need to be aware of it, but it could be a bit much for a first time experience.
Patag Ghosal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patag-ghosal.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Patag Ghosal »

I think mature teens are exposed to a lot of the real world and the issues that exist in it. They also experience far more than we think and interpret and understand it in their own way. This book dealing with tough and complex issues would really be something that mature teens would understand and maybe even relate to. It could also be incredibly beneficial for them to realise how these issues affect the lives of people and maybe gain valuable perspectives from it.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that mature teens would be able to handle the themes in the book. It would help them to realize how families can be broken, how lies and secrets can separate loved ones, and how truth heals.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Well, maturity is relative and also doesn't entirely depend on age because, sometimes its possible to see a teen who is even more matured than an adult. So I guess a matured teen who has been exposed can handle it
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Most times, teenagers are more exposed than adults. People say we are in a jet age, teenagers are more knowledgeable than adult so we exposing them to books like "kalayla" is like helping them. They will learn from the life of Kalayla as a girl and later as a lady. Imparting them with things going on around us will be beneficial to us parents, rather than they exposed to it from their peers so as to avoid any negative effect in the decisions they make in life.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

The truth is Kalayla wouldn't be the first instance of hard-hitting fiction to grace this generation. I can think of so many other examples and Kalaylan would fit right into the the watchlist.
Jeff Winger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Jeff Winger »

Yes, I would recommend this book for mature teens. I myself am a teenager and this was a very inspiring and moving read for me. Kalayla teaches us to always have an opinion on any issue no matter how little it is and not to be easily swayed by the opinions of others. A very good read for any teen.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I believe it is very important for mature teenager to be exposed through books to topics represented in Kalayla. I know from personal experience that builds character like no other. They would realize that there were bigger problems in the world. I remember reading a book about sex slavery and crying. I realized how fortunate I was and I was so grateful.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think many teens would benefit from this book. The world today has more and more nontraditional families and this book could help teens cope with their own issues. This book allows teens to see that parents and elderly people can contribute to society.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”