Appropriate for Mature teens?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Appropriate for Mature teens?

Post by _claudi_ »

I think it is never too early to learn how life can hit at you or someone close. So once you're at a age where you can be held accountable for your actions and you can read, i think this book will do a great deal of benefit helping you on how to react and maneuver when you or someone close is going through something similar.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

Nowadays, almost everybody knows everything, and people also mature differently. Right now, I don't even know what or who a mature teen is because even your five year old sibling knows as much as you do or more. So yes mature teens can handle the book. It is great for them,(me being one of them) and I think Kalayla will inspire them.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

I think an ideal situation would be for the mature teens to read the book if the parents are confident that they can handle the content and then discuss it with them. That would be the most profitable for them.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

I believe mature teens should read this book, it will give them insight and perspective on hard-hitting topics raised in the book, thereby helping them with awareness and how to handle them.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I think mature teens can not only relate to the raised issues but also benefit from the courage, resilience, and compassion portrayed in the book.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

Of course. I hope they can learn some lessons from the book too.
Asunshine
Currently Reading: Diary of a Wimpy Kid :The Ugly Truth
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunshine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Asunshine »

Yes, mature teens can handle this. It is better for them to read and gain knowledge they face similar situation they would avoid making mistakes. The topics in Kalayla are great and would be a really great book for mature teens.
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

I agree with others that teens can handle the content in this book. Reading this is a great way to open discussions with them about mature subject matter and offer opportunities to hear their opinions and experiences.
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
ljohnson236
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by ljohnson236 »

MeganDJ wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 00:44 I think the worst things that we as an adult can do is limit a teenagers perspective. It is through these years that they truly start to learn about life in all its aspects, and I believe it is better to be prepared and exposed to such situations than to not be. I think teenagers would benefit greatly from reading this novel.
I absolutely agree. As Wayne Dyer once quoted,There is one grand lie; that we are limited. The only limits you have are the limits we believe. Plus, children are exposed to a lot more things than what we'll ever know.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think being overprotective makes teens unready for the challenges that they might encounter in future. I believe mature teens can read this story. it might even be a great conversation starter for parents to indirectly discuss difficult issues and perhaps help them adumbrate what they would do if these sitautions occur in their own lives.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

The way I look at it is, teenagers probably know a lot more than we give them credit for. With the internet being as big and popular as it is, I'm sure they have come across more mature subjects than what is in this book. With that in mind, I think teenagers can read this just fine.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Lucille27 wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 14:28 I think mature teenagers understand these situations very well. Also, hiding them from these public is something that I believe, most of the times, works just the other way around. What I mean is that they will face different situations in real life and they have to be prepared. Explaining and trying to make others understand is always better than hiding.
Exactly!
Realise that about a hundred years ago, and even today in some parts of the world, 'teenagers' were and are as mature and responsible , as adults and do handle what one might term 'mature' issues.

It all depends on how you treat your teenagers. If you treat them like adults then they will behave maturely- like adults should- and if not, then the opposite is true.

Better to expose them to these issues so there can be frank discussions within the home, and questions they might have can be answered, rather than them having to go to their equally clueless friends for advice when later on they have to handle issues for which they haven't been prepared.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I think that mature teen can handle the aspects highlighted in book. Teens should be exposed to such topics to learn from the hardship of others. I myself am a teen by the way.
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

I definitely think that this book is for mature teens. Even though there are some things that might trigger people of this age, it is just as likely that it can trigger a twenty-year-old or even an eight-year-old. Besides, without a doubt, the author handles all the themes of marital sexual assault, estrangement, and violence very well but make sure to use to artistically convert that what goes on in this book should not be the norm. I agree with you that the character development was well appreciated. I found myself growing to forgive even the worst of the characters because they did little things that showed that they were sorry.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Of course. I think teenagers should not be shielded from the real world and its troubles, this is how they can grow and become better adults.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”