Appropriate for Mature teens?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Appropriate for Mature teens?

Post by Gabriella H »

I believe that mature teens can handle the issues raised in this book. I also feel like they will be able to relate to Kalayla and learn from her character's growth.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

I believe mature teens will be able to handle it. It would show them how much thought, care, and love the surrounding adults put into them and how, a lot of times, even when they don't like it, the decisions made are usually in their favour. It would also teach them to value the love of the family members who are close to them.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I think mature teenagers can relate and handle the situations. We never can predict what can happens to us, so we need to come to the understanding of the issues of life and problems that can affect even a teenager's life.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Eugenia36Nicholas wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:08 Now every one of any age is exposed to so much, and by the end of the story, the characters grow and change in spite of--or maybe due to--grim circumstances. Do you think mature teens can handle the issues raised in the book, or should it be for adults only?
I think this book is also suitable for mature teens. They're a lot of issues which are prevalent in the society today that they can learn from.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

I think it is appropriate for mature teens. The book touches on various social issues like Racism and abuse, and our young generation should have a vivid image of everything happening in our society.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Eugenia36Nicholas wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:08 Now every one of any age is exposed to so much, and by the end of the story, the characters grow and change in spite of--or maybe due to--grim circumstances. Do you think mature teens can handle the issues raised in the book, or should it be for adults only?
Teens are half adults in my perception. Especially in today's age of youth activism (for example, emergence of young activists like Greta Thurnberg), today's teens are becoming more and more aware of the things around them. Teens from conservative families might face trouble while relating to the content of book, but all in all, I think it'll make for a good read to any teen.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

While I'm biased because I believe I'm a mature teen, this book is generally quite suitable. While touching on sensitive topics such as racism, homophobia, attempted rape and abuse, I think it handles these issues in a tasteful manner and opens readers eyes to the seriousness of these global issues. There are no explicit scenes and profanity is barely present, so I really see no problem with letting mature teens read this book.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

Kids are always kids,teen are also teens. All we need is the correct Guide.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

I don't think teens can handle the issues of assault, abuse but racism can be a great learning path for them. However, I would recommend it to an adult audience mostly.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

Yes, they should definitely read it. Exposing them to these topics and this reality is the first step to changing the whole problem. Keeping this side of reality till they're mature and their opinions are fixed and harder to change isn't the best plan.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

Yes, well, no child is really a child these days so I think they should be able to comprehend the issues in the book. It will be fine if they can learn from Kalayla too cause she stood for herself and she's courageous.
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

I think the book is pretty appropriate for them. I am more than halfway through Kalayla and as much as there is so much vulgar language and all, teens find worse on the internet and hear worse from their peers. They might as well hear it while doing something as productive as reading and growing their vocab.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

I think the book is appropriate for mature teens as it will expose them to a lot of things happening in this world, things like racism and domestic abuse and how to deal with them
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

I think it can be handled by kids if you explain it well to them and that they should not make it their problem but focus on their future.
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

I think it is suitable for mature teens too. It would provide valuable lessons that are helpful in the future.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”