Leaving Behind Trauma

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Leaving Behind Trauma

Post by Damian Keyes »

Mark stayed away from home because he was gay and did not want to embarrass the family. I think his main reason for not coming to visit Lena is because he still has trauma from his father suppressing his true feelings and how his mother allowed his father to behave that way towards him. Bad memories are all he has of home and he was looking for a place where he belonged.

Why do you think Mark stayed away from home?
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Dman_1996 wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 22:08 Mark stayed away from home because he was gay and did not want to embarrass the family. I think his main reason for not coming to visit Lena is because he still has trauma from his father suppressing his true feelings and how his mother allowed his father to behave that way towards him. Bad memories are all he has of home and he was looking for a place where he belonged.

Couldn't agree more. Even I wondered as to why even though he knew his father died, he did not keep in touch with his mother. The answer must be because he holds his mother responsible. In most families one parent protects their child if the other parent is oppressive. In this case Lena couldn't find the strength to protect herself and hence, protecting her children was far from possible. I guess both JJ and Mark hold her responsible.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

And like you stated, JJ knew where his brother was but did not tell Lena for so many years. It's sad to know that even after there father has been dead for so long that they still weren't at peace.
Adu Boahene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adu-boahene.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Adu Boahene »

Most often trauma affects not only the physical but also mental state of an individual. I believe Mark didn't want to go back because the parents left a mark and home was where it all began so even though the father was dead, he still had a some sort of hold on him. He might have felt that going back might just reopen wounds that have him years to heal. And he wasn't ready to relive those moments.
zeus_dy15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeus-dy15.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by zeus_dy15 »

It is actually understandable because he wanted to stay away from the bad memories he had with his family. And for me, I think it is also a form of self-care for Mark because maybe he wants to heal his wounds first then face them again whenever he's ready.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Mark was most definitely protecting his own self by staying away from his parents as they had mentally left a mark upon him. Even though his father had died, he held his mother just as accountable
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

Dman_1996 wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 22:08 Mark stayed away from home because he was gay and did not want to embarrass the family. I think his main reason for not coming to visit Lena is because he still has trauma from his father suppressing his true feelings and how his mother allowed his father to behave that way towards him. Bad memories are all he has of home and he was looking for a place where he belonged.

The estrangement of Mark and Lena made me emotional. I'm glad they reconnected and that Lena was so understanding, that made me happy.

Mark must have chosen to stay away from home because he felt that his family would not be accepting of his sexuality and lifestyle. If I remember correctly I believe he told Lena that he stayed away because he didn't want to bring shame to his family. It is heartbreaking to think about feeling like you would have to make the decision to remove yourself from your family to live a content life. This even more heartbreaking because although this is a work of fiction, the reality is that many are experiencing these feelings and struggles in real life.

I do think that his father is likely the catalyst for his decision, knowing how abusive he was, Mark felt that revealing these aspects of his life would cause his father to harm Lena, so he did what he thought was best...he left.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I agree that Mark stayed away because he didn't feel safe at home. A home that is supposed to be the place you feel the safest and that you could just be yourself without any limits and judgments. It could not have been easy, and it left a lot of scars.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Mark got traumatized so badly that he couldn't come back to his family. The way his father treated him and the way his mother let his father do such terrors have left a terrible mark on Mark, traumatising him to a point where staying far from his own home is the only way to not feel scared.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
AJ_Williams011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-williams011.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AJ_Williams011 »

Traumas leave wounds deeper than we imagine and worse than we think. I think Mark's fear of coming back to his family is understandable, given the things that occurred between him and his father. Your family is supposed to be there for you, they're supposed to love you and it's kind of difficult to keep that mindset if your parents treat you that way. Even now if his father was gone, I think he isn't ready to face his fear inside a home where it all happened, where his mother couldn't even protect him. He wasn't ready to relive those moments and handle the fear that would resurface. If staying away from home would help him heal and provide the closure he never received, then I think that's brave and strong of him because for once he's doing it for himself and that's a step closer to growing and healing.
All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.
– Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I wouldn't blame Mark. It all started from home, and it's not something his father's death could quickly fix. I call it self protection.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

Sometimes self-care necessitates leaving behind what is causing you harm so that you can heal. Even memories can re-open old wounds, and for Mark, home was full of harmful memories.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

A place that left a deep trauma inside him, can't be called home. When Mark left it's almost impossible to return the same person with the same feelings. Only memories never fade away.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I did wonder about this since Joey had been dead for so long. I would have thought he'd want to visit to see JJ and his family, and then maybe test the waters with Lena, at least once in the past 30 years. He even asked JJ and JJ said no, the time wasn't right, but when I read that I interpreted it to mean that the people in the area (like the ones they'd gone to high school with who were still there and beat him up) were still prejudiced, not that it was about Lena. She just seems like she would be accepting to me. But in reading the above posts I can see how it might be hard to face Lena because she didn't protect them from Joey and to go back to the area where so much was traumatizing for him.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Let's see, if I were Mark, then here are things I would have to endure. My father and brothers mocked me constantly about my build (not that I wanted to be a shrimp). My big brother used me as his personal punching bag (pa and ma know, and they didn't intervene). My schoolmate picked a fight with me, and my mother was like "Fighting over aggravations is normal for this kid, so I don't really care." So yeah, I think I would try to get out of that house as soon as I could. That place is not a home; it's Hell.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”