Did you personally find anything inaccurate in the portrayal of culture and race?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Jlreel
Currently Reading: The Testaments
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlreel.html
Latest Review: Unfaltering Trust by Roy Ziegler

Did you personally find anything inaccurate in the portrayal of culture and race?

Post by Jlreel »

Curious! I have often found some authors don't do enough research on the culture they are trying to present. This is question is especially pointed at if you are from said culture in the book.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I think the author have portrayed a clear version of the lives depicted in the book and that is good. But if the author had done some more research, it would have been most brilliant. Researching more is always good for any book. Especially when it comes to race and cultural diversities like in Kalayla.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Nicholas Christian »

The author didn't accurately depict the social stigma faced by children of biracial origins. Society usually treats such children like pariahs and ostracises them, and I have seen no mention of that in the narrative.
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Post by glubglub200 »

I think the author did what they thought was good enough but I do think that there should have been a bit more research involved to show the full portrayal of race and culture in that time. More research is always better than just enough research.
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

I think that this book perpetuated stereotypes and racism. It portrayed white people as saviors while the black side of Kalayla's family was dangerous. I can't imagine Kalayla being so quick to embrace the family that had disowned her mother for marrying a black man.
jfrank4th
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfrank4th.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by jfrank4th »

I agree that stereotypes were perpetuated but also that more research went into the Irish culture than Kayla's black culture. The most culture we got on that side of the family was an annual barbeque. The struggle of interracial marriage was portrayed but not any real discussion about it with the black characters in the story. The happy ending was resolved very quickly with Maureen's family and her in-laws. I think the opportunity was missed for important dialogue.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

aby johnson wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 23:15 I think the author have portrayed a clear version of the lives depicted in the book and that is good. But if the author had done some more research, it would have been most brilliant. Researching more is always good for any book. Especially when it comes to race and cultural diversities like in Kalayla.
I agree with you, racial related issues are a Vast Context. The author managed to shift my thoughts with the few racial related scnes that are embedded in this book. If only they were more; I believe It would have been more interesting. Nevertheless, this book is amazing.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Nicholas Christian wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 12:46 The author didn't accurately depict the social stigma faced by children of biracial origins. Society usually treats such children like pariahs and ostracises them, and I have seen no mention of that in the narrative.
I disagree. I feel like Maureen's family disowning her for being with a black man and having nothing to do with her child is enough cruelty for one little girl. She didn't have friends, apart from Lena and Lotta and Kieran. Does she have to face racism everywhere she goes for the story to be credible?
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

Interesting discussion. I didn't feel like there was anything that perpetuated racism, and the white people were not depicted as saviors; being so racist that you actually disown a daughter and don't reconcile when Kalayla was born is extreme, to say the least. Maureen's family seems more dangerous to me than Jamal's emotionally. Sure, Clarence is dangerous physically, but the rest of his family isn't and accepts Maureen right away.

I really saw them all as individuals and the story as their story. I didn't feel a need to see Kalayla experience prejudice. Perhaps one scene might have been useful to show what she faces in the world, but it wasn't something I thought about as I read.
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

To be clear, I do not think that Maureen's family were the white saviors, but they are not the only white people in her life. She goes to Lena and RIco when she needs something. Her father's side of the family is never fully trusted; Maureen repeatedly thinks that her mother-in-law is planning to take Kalayla away from her, Clarence seems to be selling stolen goods as a living, etc.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think this is a valuable question but every person's experience is different no matter their race or culture. All children of mixed race are not the same or treated the same. I think many aspects of this book fell into stereotypes though. When we make assumptions of how people of a certain culture should be portrayed we are limiting our view of them. I was interested to see the idea of the white savior in this book because I may have missed if it was stated otherwise but I actually assumed Lena and Carlotta were black or mixed race also.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

La Loca Designs wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 15:57 I think that this book perpetuated stereotypes and racism. It portrayed white people as saviors while the black side of Kalayla's family was dangerous. I can't imagine Kalayla being so quick to embrace the family that had disowned her mother for marrying a black man.
Wow!
I never even thought of this.
You are so right.
It is funny that while we can say the author might have tried to bring to light societal issues like racism and poverty, etc, this kind of plot also perpetuates the very issue she was trying to tackle.

I think that just tells us how deep into the psyche this kind of stereotyping goes , such that except with effort, it is hard to remove it totally.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

As someone who is not biracial or Black, it's hard for me to judge whether or not this portrayal is accurate. However, I was waiting for a Black or biracial role model to enter the picture and help Kalayla discover and celebrate her own identity, but we didn't meet any non-white characters except Jamal's family who weren't portrayed in the best light. I was convinced Lena was BIPOC until she started talking about her Italian family and unfortunately all the support and relationships Maureen and Kalayla received and made were with Italian/white people. I would like to see a sequel with Kalayla as a young adult unpacking her identity and how her experience of being raised in a primarily white community affected her.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I didn't notice any glaring inaccuracies regarding culture and race, though I am sure there are some. I did think, at first, there was a time inaccuracy. When they were talking about Keurig coffee in 2000, I looked that up. Those coffee machines didn't become popular in my neck of the woods until the past five years or so. Turns out, they were already a thing in 2000.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

I don't think there were inaccuracies, per se, but I definitely would have liked to have seen more discussion of racism. The author touched on it a bit but possibly didn't go into it because Jamal's family wasn't part of the main characters. But as Kalayla is, in fact, one of the main characters, I felt there needed to be more research done in terms of how a biracial child is perceived by others and how she feels about her own identity. She was quite a smart, independent girl so I think she absolutely would have questioned her mixed-race.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”