Twinship

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Icon Twinship

Post by Tonze »

What have you liked about the two twins boys?
Me I liked how the author described the relationship between those twins especially the way they were close but what got me was "The punishment sharing policy " where one can be taking a punishment of the other and their mother was not ok with their policy that made her punishing them together for something that one of them had done.
It shows me how the love between twins is very deep that no one can't separate their feelings.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I guess it must be a very deep connection. I don't know so personally because I don't have a twin. What I've seen, though, is that despite the great love twin siblings might have, parents need to foster the development of independence and individual identity.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I had a firsthand experience of this kind of love between twins. Once, a girl was confronted by a bully, her twin sister appeared in the scene and they both gave this bully a thorough beating. Twinship comes with a special kind of relationship that every parent needs to pay very serious attention to.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This is an interesting question! I really didn't give much thought to the twins while I was reading this book. I've heard a lot about how twins can share a special bond. I do respect the twins, though, since they defended Lena when they found their father beating her. In that case, however, I think any two brothers would have reacted in the same way, not just twins.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Twins have special bonds between each other which leads them to react the way the do. Most twins have telepathy and will mostly end up doing something for each other, which boost their relationship even when they become adults.
Wangai Onyango
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wangai-onyango.html
Latest Review: A Life of Unintended Consequences by Malcolm Hart

Post by Wangai Onyango »

It was somehow very weird how one twin would be punished for something the other had done... This is unnatural and just plain strange. It smacks of mild child abuse in a way. Other than that, the relationship between the twins was amazing. I can't recall ever taking a punishment for any of my siblings and to hear that these two were doing it is just amazing.
AJ_Williams011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-williams011.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AJ_Williams011 »

I have a brother who people keep referring to as "my male twin," as I am a woman. We're years apart and I really don't think we look that much alike but we share this strange bond that I believe everyone with siblings could relate with. I mean, I'd catch a bullet for him but I won't get him a glass of water lol. I think the twins in the story reflected a lot about having siblings in your life. They just become a part of you. They always will be.
All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.
– Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns
elisathelvarik
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisathelvarik.html
Latest Review: The Art of Pleasure by Julia Steed

Post by elisathelvarik »

From a genetic standpoint, twins who are separated at birth have more similarities than fraternal twins that spend their entire lives together. I believe there is a special connection between twins. There are even tests to figure out if that is true! (It's surprisingly interesting). I do not, however, support the "punishment sharing" method. It is quite cruel to punish both kids if only one did! I think it is unethical and creates child trauma.
“There is only one who is all powerful, and his greatest weapon is love.”
― Stan Lee :romance-heartbeating:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I guess they really are each other's keeper. As a parent, policy or no policy, I will punish the wrongdoer but if the other twiin wants to take the fall for the other, I will punish both. In this book, the twins display true brotherhood and affection for one another.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I have twins in my family-in-law and I can confirm first-hand that there is a very special bond between them. They are already used to the complicity they have, but we are often still surprised by certain situations that show how they share feelings, thoughts, opinions etc. It's great that this book uses twins to enhance the story.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

The twin punishment situation made me consider how hard it would be to raise twins. How could you get them to stop doing something like this? And if they did choose to share the punishment, how would you, as a parent, cope?
Punish them both, as Lena did?
Let them share the punishment, but make the punishment twice as tough?
Or just let them share a normal punishment, so that each only gets half of what you intended? Does that approach encourage misbehavior, since they know they can get away with doing anything and only get "half punishment"? Does that then create resentment in the "innocent" twin who didn't want to go along with the other one's idea but now is stuck sharing punishment for something they didn't do?

For me, the twins in the book raised more questions than they settled. Maybe a parent of twins can clarify how this works in real life.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think their relationship with one another was probably very special but I thought it was a bit strange that they didn't really seem to have their own identity even into their teen and young adult life. Most twins I know can still keep a close relationship without having to be that similar. It made them seem unrealistic characters to me.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Twins always have a special relationship. I don't support the "punish together" policy though. I've once had a run-in with some twins and I kid you not, you don't want to experience it. I like twin boys because of their cooperation. It seems to be in-built.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

There is a pleather of research conducted on twins who have been separated at birth. All of them still go through the same things through life even if they never met. I liked how the other made the twins resemble each other and have a deep bond, that most people would be the envy of. They were so close. The double punishment was something I did not agree with but I can see why Lena decided to do that. The twins played tricks all the time, only a parent of twins can come up with ways to properly discipline them. Lena losing BOTH twins was a hard pill to swallow from this book for me.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:58 I had a firsthand experience of this kind of love between twins. Once, a girl was confronted by a bully, her twin sister appeared in the scene and they both gave this bully a thorough beating. Twinship comes with a special kind of relationship that every parent needs to pay very serious attention to.
Lmao. Good! I'm clapping in my head.

I don't know if this closeness that twins feel is due to just being twins or if it is as a result of our culture of putting them together, treating them as the same, giving them the exact same clothes and toys, whatever, from childhood.

That us, I don't know if twins would have that same kind of close connection, if they were brought up in different homes, let's say.

Maybe it is not a forgone conclusion that twins will always be tight, as they're portrayed in the book and in general.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”