Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Post by Yere123 »

Uncle Clarence definitely went too far when he went after Maureen nonconsensually. Should this be forgiven given the trauma he endured as a child? Is his past enough to excuse his actions?
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

This was the part of the book, I disagreed with. I felt this was not handled or addressed properly. Attempted rape was minimized and swept under the rug. There were no consequences for Uncle Clarence's actions and he was depicted as poor Uncle Clarence. He is a grown man. What about Maureen?
kirismy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirismy.html

Post by kirismy »

Uncle Clarence obviously has his issues. However, I don't think his trauma should excuse his actions. I wish that this was addressed more in the book. He should have taken responsibility for his actions and apologized. His entire family excuses his actions because of his trauma, and that just encourages his behavior.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

In my opinion, it is exactly Uncle Clarence past that makes his actions unforgivable. He is not stranger to this kind of suffering and I believe his own experience should have been enough to stop him from from inflicting similar trauma to Maureen. In case he was any sort of decent person.
MoniqueBatty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquebatty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MoniqueBatty »

I feel that Uncle Clarence should definitely been held accountable, but should also have received professional help. I was also disappointed that Maureen didn’t handle the situation better long before it reached the attempted rape. She should have taken a much firmer stand with him.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Uncle Clarence does deserve to pay. Being forgiven doesn't mean he shouldn't take responsibility. If we all based our bad actions and blamed our childhood traumas the world would be so chaotic. No, I do not like the idea of him playing the victim. Nothing warrants taking advantage of another person for whatever reason. He should have been held accountable.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

gnwagu1 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 19:23 Uncle Clarence definitely went too far when he went after Maureen nonconsensually. Should this be forgiven given the trauma he endured as a child? Is his past enough to excuse his actions?
I understand how often children of abuse tend to abuse others as they get older. However, these actions should not be taken lightly and should not be swept under the rug in a book. People who have been abused need to learn to deal with their past and get counseling or other help to ensure that it doesn't continue. The book doesn't really show what Maureen's feelings are when she is abused by Uncle Clarence. Now we have added to the cycle which is so unfair.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

No, he should not be forgiven. Had Kalayla not came in I don't know what would have happened but I know it would have been worse. That's unforgivable
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

His past is not enough to excuse Clarence's actions. However, he should be forgiven. Forgiveness does not mean the actions were justified. At the end of the book he was in such a state it didn't seem as though he would be capable of trying the same atrocity again. He was no longer a threat. Not forgiving him would only harm the people holding the grudge, not Clarence.
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Post by glubglub200 »

I think that what he did was unforgivable and he should take responsibility for his actions. Maybe one day he could be forgiven if he truly gets the help he needs but that's up to Maureen.
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html

Post by mbhuibregtse »

I struggle with Clarence. The story of his trauma was very detailed and I felt empathy to him. However, in present time, he lurked so much and had such limited positive qualities about him. By the time he attacked Maureen, I felt so sick of his storyline and felt no sympathy. He should not be forgiven.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

gnwagu1 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 19:23 Uncle Clarence definitely went too far when he went after Maureen nonconsensually. Should this be forgiven given the trauma he endured as a child? Is his past enough to excuse his actions?
Should he be forgiven? I believe so. And that has nothing to do with the trauma he endured as a child. We all do things for which we need forgiveness. What he experienced as a child was awful, but it should by no means be used to excuse what what he did (or attempted to do) to Maureen.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Forgiveness and justice are complementary to each other. Everyone's heart is different and has a different capacity for forgiveness. Uncle Clarence also has been through a traumatic experience.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html

Post by Amber_joslyn »

valeriejane wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:27 This was the part of the book, I disagreed with. I felt this was not handled or addressed properly. Attempted rape was minimized and swept under the rug. There were no consequences for Uncle Clarence's actions and he was depicted as poor Uncle Clarence. He is a grown man. What about Maureen?
I agree with your thoughts here. I also felt like it was just swept away and I don't feel like the response was aproppriate to the situation. Despite the trauma that Clarence went through, he was a grown man and his traumatic experience happened when he was very young. He has had a lot of time to attempt to work through that trauma, but he chose not to (at least to the readers knowledge). He has continued to let his traumatic experience run his life and his actions. I don't think that he should have been forgiven as easily as he was.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

Good question. I do not think Clarence should have been forgiven. I was surprised that no one did anything after his repeated attempts to corner Maureen. It was terrifying that everyone knew he was a creep but did not speak up about it to his face or at least tell his mother. I understand that he has gone through his own trauma but his actions are still his own and there is no excuse for what he did. He needs mental health care and unfortunately we don't see any mention of this need.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”